Serena Williams to retire

MikefromOH

The Hall of Famer
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Military Branch
Navy
Serena Williams is going to retire after the US Open.

Where does she rank amongst the best ever?

In the Open Era, Serena has won more Grand Slam singles titles than any man or woman.

She has won the most Grand Slam singles matches among women with 331.

She has won a Major in each of the last three decades, and has won multiple championships on all surfaces.

She has flat out dominated tennis and will go down as one of the top tennis players ever, regardless of gender.

I was very happy to see her win yesterday in Toronto at the National Bank Open. Nothing is coming easy for her now though - obviously the movement is not where it used to be at 40 years old. She knows it too - you can see it in her body language when her opponent hits a winner past her. Serena's mind is saying that is a ball I should get to, the body is telling her a different story.

As far fetched as it might seem, I hope she has a nice little run here in Canada this week. She deserves it.

I agree with everything you've said. She was not only the most dominant woman, but the most dominant period. I can remember when her and her sister first got on the scene and everyone thought Venus was the stud. Serena just came in and absolutely dominated.

Age is a mofo like that, too. You know they need to step down, but how do you ask someone who's been doing this one thing for all their life to just...stop?

Tennis like most sports has to also to have the time period taken into consideration, for me the difference has always been wooden vs metal rackets. Totally different game, for her generation and time period, one of a kind talent, but I cannot say best all time because of that variable. Best of her time, no doubt about it.

Martina Navratilova will always be my #1. Definitely dominant in her era. Unfortunately, she did not have the kind of fierce competition we saw with Martina with the likes of Chrissy Everett, Monica Seles, Steffi Graf, etc… so it’s hard to compare Serena to other all-timers…

I love tennis, it's a great sport. Very difficult to play at a high level. You have to be a special athlete to make it into the top 100, let alone the top 10.

Men's tennis hasn't been the same for me since the retirements of Connors, McEnroe, and Agassi. However, we should appreciate the current era. Possibly the three greatest men's players of all time are currently playing when you consider the achievements of Djokovic, Nadal, and Federer.

On the women's side, Serena Williams and Monica Seles will probably always be my favorite players. It still bothers me that Seles' best years on the tennis court were robbed from her. Seles may have retired with more Grand Slams titles than any woman in history if she had not been stabbed by that deranged fan.

I agree with everything you've said. She was not only the most dominant woman, but the most dominant period. I can remember when her and her sister first got on the scene and everyone thought Venus was the stud. Serena just came in and absolutely dominated.

Age is a mofo like that, too. You know they need to step down, but how do you ask someone who's been doing this one thing for all their life to just...stop?

I still think that Serena could be great again, just due to her amazing natural athletic ability and strength. However, she would have to devote herself to getting back in shape, which she doesn't want to do. Not that I blame her. She's had a great run.

Roger Federer just retired....

Is he the greatest men's tennis player of all time?

Roger Federer just retired....

Is he the greatest men's tennis player of all time?

He is definitely in the top 3, right there with Nadal and Djokovic.

What's beyond dispute is that Federer was the most graceful men's tennis player who ever played. He turned tennis into an art form and he made it look effortless. The only other men's tennis player that I can describe in a similar manner was John McEnroe.

Federer is certainly the most loved player of all time. However, when you consider his overall record vs. the two others from his generation also vying to be considered the greatest ever, it casts some doubt. He has a 16-24 record vs. Nadal and 23-27 record vs. Novak.

Has there ever been a better male tennis player than Bjorn Borg?

Agassi?
Sampras?
Federer?
Lendel?
McEnroe?

Which one is recent outside of Federer?

All those other ones are easily older than me

Screenshot_20221001-132314.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.