• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Seeking different Perspectives: Offensive Pass Interference?

burgold

The Pro Bowler
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
I was at the game yesterday and from my vantage and what they showed on the Jumbotron, I couldn't imagine how an offensive PI call was possible. There was no one remotely near Moss... he had a good five yards on his nearest defender. Did tv give anyone a better angle? Was someone able to see anything from the stands?

How did Moss interefere with the Pats defender? Did his cleats kick up a clod of dirt that struck the db in the head as he ran by? Was it turbulence? Was it just offensive that the Redskins might tie and beat the Pats?

Seriously, I was hoping that there might be some video to explain something, because from what they showed us... and what I saw live there was nothing, but I might have been looking at the pass rush when something happened.

I am still pissed at CBS for not showing a replay at all on that play. Nothing. Looked bogus to me, but CBS showed nothing.

The idiots on CBS didn't show even one replay of it. After suffering through three hours of Dan Dierdorf the least the network could do would be to cover the game properly, but no.

The only thing I saw, on one replay, was a DB may have bumped Moss causing him to extend his arms, but nothing flagrant.

Like the call on Fletcher, it was a bad call. The Patriots seem to get the calls, which good teams do.

My guess is CBS didn't want to show the officials in a bad light again, so no replay.

Moss and Fletcher are not dirty players, so for calls to against them says something.

Back to another flag. Question on the holding call against Hurt. Why doesn’t that same call go in our favor when tackles use it against Orakpo and Kerrigan?

Back to another flag. Question on the holding call against Hurt. Why doesn’t that same call go in our favor when tackles use it against Orakpo and Kerrigan?

It's sad. We've gotten so used to flagrant holding against Orakpo that it no longer is even on most of our radars.

Not blaming the refs for this loss. The roughing-the-passer call that negated at Grossman INT and kept a TD drive alive was pretty ticky-tack as well.

The one call I thought was particularly terrible was the unnecessary roughness on Fletcher. It was a perfectly legal hit in every sense. If it had been anyone but Brady there's no way that's a penalty. Terrible terrible call. It didn't effect the outcome of the game but Fletcher didn't deserve that.

The refs were atrocious yesterday. Absolutely terrible. We could have, and maybe even should have won that game, but the zebras were preposterously bad. The NFL should seriously burn every copy of that tape it can find.

The calls on both Fletcher and Moss were bull****. The league needs to tighten up their refs crews, Tripletts being the worst of the bunch

Not blaming the refs for this loss. The roughing-the-passer call that negated at Grossman INT and kept a TD drive alive was pretty ticky-tack as well.

I will say that after the penalty on the punt return and the holding on the bomb... I knew that the refs would never let us tie the game. They were determined and had their plan.

I watched that flag being thrown on the punt return for instance. From where I stood on the field. The ref that threw the flag was twenty yards in front of the play and waited to pull his flag until after the play was over and it wasn't as the play was ending... it was a good two seconds after the tackle. Players were already starting to get up and go to the sidelines.

Now, could the ref have seen something? I don't know, but it's awfully strange to call a hold on play after the play twenty yards away from any of the players. That took us from the 35 to about the 14. Would a hold after the play actually affect the play?

The other two calls were equally dubious.

That call against Fletcher was terrible. A travesty. The league should fly Triplette to Redskins Park and him personally apologize to Fletch.

Anyone wanna lay odds on a flag being thrown if Rex Grossman received that hit instead of the Golden Boy?

For the record I didn't watch the game, but Mr. Irrelevant said he re-watched it and it was pretty blatant. Also said it didn't appear Edelman tried to engage.

Just to provide a counterpoint, here's a different take, from someone at the game. (the rest of the blog is pretty funny, with some funny anecdotes from the game as well)

The phantom "offensive pass interference" call on Moss' TD. I know CBS didn't show a replay but Fedex Field did. Moss was WIDE OPEN on the play. So, he clearly didn't push off. To make matters worse, I recall the flag being thrown when the ball was in the air to Moss. So, where was the pass interference? Moss said it came from him attacking the defender within the 5-yards of the line of scrimmage when contact is allowed, which is also a bad call. WTF.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2011/12/12/2629972/redskins-drop-the-ball-literally

On NBC Sunday Night pregame show Dungy said the call on Fletcher was bad. Rodney Harrison smiled and said, "Hey it was Tom Brady".

There was a lot of truth in Harrison's statement. They get the calls.

Brady's take on the Fletcher hit:

Fletcher argued the call vehemently, and after the game, Mike Shanahan said the call was “horrible.”

In the locker room, Fletcher said, “You all watched the game. You saw it. They make calls. We just kind of have to live with it, I guess.”

“You try to explain your situation, but they don’t really listen to you that much,” Fletcher said. “I think everybody who saw it, they definitely wouldn’t think it was the right call.”

Brady agreed.

After the game, the quarterback acknowledged that Fletcher wasn’t guilty of a dirty play.

“I thought it was a really clean play by him,” Brady said. “I think we’re pretty fortunate we got the call.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...2/gIQA8WLppO_blog.html?wprss=football-insider

DeAngelo Hall on defense and Santana Moss on offense really cost the Redskins in this game with mental and physical mistakes.

The difference between a good and bad team is one where your supposed best players come up with plays in crunch time to win games, rather than being the goat.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I wonder what he'll say after he reviews game tape.

I also wonder how much Moss will get fined this week for speaking what I perceive to be all too often the truth.

The real problem is that bad/mediocre teams can least afford the bad calls. In order for us to beat the Patriots, pretty much EVERYTHING had to fall into place. That includes the refereeing.

Looking around the league yesterday, I saw a LOT of bad calls. I guess, like the players, the refs get worn out as the season goes on as well.

A question for anyone who might have the answer....why is it OK to drag a toe inbounds but not a heel? Specifically, I'm talking about the TD catch that wasn't in the Saints-Titans game yesterday. Jimmy Graham had what looked like a TD to EVERYONE but the replay official because his toe "might" have touched the line AFTER the fact after one foot and his heel were definitely in and it looked like his knee hit down in bounds before the toe got close to the line. Peter King said he thought it was the right call because there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the ruling on the field but I totally disagree.

God bless my wife! I was just looking through my DVR and I noticed she recorded the game for me. I just looked at this play several times now that I got home and had a chance to let everything settle.

I need someone who knows the rules or can provide me a link so I can look up the rule regarding contact on a pass route because my understanding is that within the first 5 yards of the route contact is permitted. Defenders jam up receivers all the time, are the receivers not permitted to jam up defenders?

On the jumbotron at the game they showed the play at least once that I saw, but I was not able to see Santana push Edelman. My understanding of the rule is that if a defender can shove a receiver out of his route within the 1st 5 yards, then the receiver is able to shove the defender out of his way in the 1st 5 yards.

If that is the case we definitely got robbed!!! 3 yards into the route, Moss shoves Edelman out of his way and gets open in the flat. Edelman ended up 3 yards in the end zone on his arse and Moss was wide open for the catch.

With clarification on the rule, I could accept it was a penalty, but if the rule is as I understand then this was a BS call no matter what anyone said. I am going to try to video tape the play and link it here tomorrow for you guys to see if you haven't seen it yet.

Bottom line, we lost. But it just frustrates the heck out of me to see us robbed like that.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.