• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Seau reported dead of suicide

From what I understand, they are just scratching the surface of the effects that concussions have on the human brain.

several men who didnt know each other go thru the exact same symptoms and 3 end up with the exact same outcome. the ONLY thing they have in common is playing football. it isnt a reach nor convenient to say that football was a cause in this. its said because it is most likely the case.
If they were the only people to ever play football and suffer concussions, there might be something there.

We just don't know if, and to what extent, concussions MIGHT play a role in suicide. Until further study can definitively conclude a direct correlation between concussions and suicide, I'll believe that their are bigger other issues at play here.

Read this, and it seems just as plausible. If not more.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...hs-exteammate-says?module=HP11_headline_stack

Specifically, Plummer wants all departing players to receive mandatory counseling so they can cope with life after football -- something with which Seau apparently struggled, Plummer noted.

"You can grow up and live your childhood dream and be a hometown hero and then feel, 'Is this all there is?' when it's over," Plummer said.

"There is no exit strategy from the NFL," Plummer added. "It's: 'You're done.' You don't even get an apple and a road map."

Plummer said that mandatory counseling ought to be instituted. "In 15 years as a middle linebacker, I never would have thought of seeing a counselor. I saw one in my divorce, and I just called my counselor today. It can't be optional, because macho players are taught to be invincible, and they're not going to do it."

so because not everyone that has had concussions kill themselves it cant be the reason it happens? Im confused on what you mean.
That's one way to look at it. But what I was trying to say is, that a couple of suicides, out of the tens of thousands of players, through decades of playing pro football, who have suffered multiple concussions, is hardly a pattern. Time, and study, may prove it to be. But for right now, it just doesn't.

Not everyone who is abused by their parents turn in to serial killers but it is definitely a trait that you can go "there it is, thats a leading reason why this happened".
I would submit that, while it certainly can be a contributing factor, it cannot be proved to be the leading factor.

and you just posted the exact article i posted yesterday, bro. i actually heard Gary on the local SD radio talking yesterday and he believes that concussions are a major reason behind Junior doing this.
Sorry my friend, I didn't see it when you posted it. And Plummer might be exactly right. But for now, in my mind, it's equally possible that the overriding reason is what he's suggesting in the quote I posted from the interview. That his inability to handle the fall from being an, On The Field Superman, to an, Off The Field Nobody, (for lack of a better word) was something he couldn't handle.

It could also be that the concussions made it tougher to do. We just don't know.

Without a doubt, more needs to be learned on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the most important part. They need yo figure out why and if for sure. I see someone like junior who always seems happy and a loved member in the community kill himself and I think something is up.

And do NOT listen to the 911Junior call. That was so sad and depressing. Broke my heart.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device
Agreed. And yeah, I thought about listening to it, and then decided not to. I'll take your advice and continue to steer clear of it.

London Fletcher offered some thoughts on "Life after the NFL" and his hopes that the NFL and NFLPA might consider offering counseling to players to ease the potential emotional shock of the transition.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/07/london-fletcher-calls-on-union-league-to-help-players-transition-away-from-the-game/
Regardless of what concussions may, or may not have had to do with any of these recent occurrences, a program like this could only be a good thing.

I'm not saying she did it, or that I'm even suspicious, but I've wondered why the police were so quick to rule it a suicide, when it was the girlfriend who found him dead.
There was no suicide note. And usually the domestic partner is the first suspect in a death, especially if they're the one who found the body.
Yet it seems they immediately ruled it a suicide, and never seemed to consider other options. Again, not saying she's guilty, or even that she might be, I just think it's odd, that they were so quick to come to a conclusion in these types of circumstances.
Apparently, the "crime" scene must have been in an absolute arrangement to where it seemed certain that only Seau could have pulled the trigger ?

Last edited:
I'm not saying she did it, or that I'm even suspicious, but I've wondered why the police were so quick to rule it a suicide, when it was the girlfriend who found him dead.
There was no suicide note. And usually the domestic partner is the first suspect in a death, especially if they're the one who found the body.
Yet it seems they immediately ruled it a suicide, and never seemed to consider other options. Again, not saying she's guilty, or even that she might be, I just think it's odd, that they were so quick to come to a conclusion in these types of circumstances.
Apparently, the "crime" scene must have been in an absolute arrangement to where it seemed certain that only Seau could have pulled the trigger ?
I thought it was strange too, because if the roles had been reversed, he could have found her with a note and a video of the entire thing, and they'd still spend 10+ years investigating him. The guy always seems to get scrutinized a lot more in these situations.

really? you guys are really breaking out the conspiracy theories?

That's really stretching what I said, and couldn't be further from the truth.

And I clearly reiterated twice in my original statement, that it was not about that.

But I was just saying it's odd that there seemed to be an apparent lack of "routine" police work and S.O.P.

I know that if I was a relative of Seau's I most certainly would demand to know the reasoning for such a quick conclusion, when there are alternate possibilities that happen A LOT in our society, under very similar "crime scene circumstances". And that certainly would not be a conspiracy theory. It's common sense.

In other words, I'm focusing on, and emphasizing the police's actions, or lack thereof - not the girlfriend's.

Last edited:
Mike, although I think everything points to this being an obvious suicide, I don't think the point regarding ruling out other possibilities is particularly controversial or a radical suggestion. It's policing 101. I guess what I'd ask Fear though is, on what are you basing your assumption that they didn't at least do the basic stuff with the girlfriend to rule out that possibility? It's likely, they were able to rule her out just based on forensics at the scene (gunpowder residue on Seau's hands for example).

Agreed. All you have to do is listen to the 911 call to know she had nothing to do with it.

Plus the fact she was at the gym when it happened. They have records and cameras to prove she was there.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

This right here is what locks it for me. I have heard folks fake some pretty sincere sounding emotions before (guess that comes from hanging out with great actors all the time) but if she has a solid alibi for the time of death with indisputable witnesses, that nails it down. And that sort of thing is pretty easy and quick to check. The cops could have and should have had that information in a matter of hours.

I guess what I'd ask Fear though is, on what are you basing your assumption that they didn't at least do the basic stuff with the girlfriend to rule out that possibility?

To clarify, my post was more in the form of a question, than a conclusion or assumption of guilt or suspicion.
The question was, what facts or evidence led police to be convinced that it could not have been anything other than a suicide, so quickly ? And that was answered.
And to further clarify, I was not necessarily implying incompetence or corruption on the part of the police, because obviously I realize they don't necessarily report all the evidence to the media, or I may have missed out on something that was actually reported.

Wasn't trying to imply any of that - just think for police professionals, in most cases they are probably able to determine what's actually transpired pretty quickly. With Seau's history, reaction of the girlfriend, and evidence at the scene, they probably determined this for what it was within the first hour or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.