• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Rotoworld:Redskins place Phillip Thomas on IR

DieselPwr44

The Owner's Favorite
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Absolutely sucks.

Redskins placed S Phillip Thomas on injured reserve with a left Lisfranc fracture, ending his season.
The fourth-round pick will undergo surgery, and be sidelined 4-5 months. In theory, he'll be 100 percent for next year's offseason program. Journeyman Brandon Meriweather is now the prohibitive favorite to start opposite rookie Bacarri Rambo, who appears to have locked up a starting job. The Redskins also have DeJon Gomes and Reed Doughty on the roster. A big-time playmaker, Thomas was a first-team All American for Fresno State as a senior. He should compete for a starting job in 2014.

NFL | Skins lose rookie Phillip Thomas to Lisfranc - Rotoworld.com

Injuries happen. We have good depth, but we need for Meriweather to stay healthy now.

Well...that's a buzz kill.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Efffff... Meriweather's paper mache knee better stay intact!

Going to throw out a name that can really help...

Tanard Jackson - if he gets cleared to return and stays clean.

Who was injured t??? The SS. Our starting free (Rambo) is fine (let's hope he stays that way).

TJ, if he returns, can provide depth at strong or be there when needed if Meriweather goes down.

But Jackson was originally signed as a FS, BB. That is his more natural position.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

I thought this defense didn't have a SS and a FS? I thought they were interchangeable.

Or Reed Doughty steps up for one more season of great play on the line of scrimmage while sucking it up in coverage?

Or Reed Doughty steps up for one more season of great play on the line of scrimmage while sucking it up in coverage?

At the moment that's what I see. Merriweather and Doughty playing strong with Rambo and perhaps Pugh or Gomes playing Free. I'm somewhat okay with that. Reed was really good (when used correctly) during the streak and in the playoffs. Merriweather if healthy is fine (health being a legit concern).

I don't think Tanard Jackson is the answer. He has never really played with the team... basically, one preseason and he will be out of football for over a year. There will be better players cut if we want to look to the outside.

Don't forget also that Amerson played (some) safety in college - if Minnifield steps up and Wilson and Hall play fairly well with some actual pass-rush, Amerson could be moved to safety in a pinch.

Forget the non-story that is Griffingate, this is by-far the most disappointing thing to come out of Richmond.

Nick

I thought this defense didn't have a SS and a FS? I thought they were interchangeable.

That was certainly the situation under Williams and Blache, but I am pretty sure we have clearly defined Strong and Free Safety positions under Haz.

The Redskins are not going to move Amerson to safety, a rookie pick has enough challenges transitioning to the NFL at his natural position. As a top pick the Skins are going to let Amerson develop at CB exclusively.

If the team can't plug the gaps internally, I would agree we need to go onto the free agent market and pick up a veteran safety that is dropped from another team due to the rise of younger players or other issues.

Doughty is fine in the box but he can't cover a blanket in coverage.

Tanard Jackson is an excellent athlete, if he is in shape and is reinstated he is a better football player than the team can acquire on the market or among the existing candidates on the bench.

I also think he can play SS as well as FS.

There is no guarantee he gets reinstated, but then again the NFL has been REALLY LIBERAL with reinstating players in the past.

Leonard Little and Donte Stallworth were reinstated by the NFL after they were found guilty of causing FATALITIES while drunk driving in the past.

If that is forgiven by the NFL, I find it hard to believe the NFL will continue to suspend a guy who has basically just hurt himself.

Don't forget also that Amerson played (some) safety in college - if Minnifield steps up and Wilson and Hall play fairly well with some actual pass-rush, Amerson could be moved to safety in a pinch.

No :(
I want Amerson and Minnifield at corner. They look great there so far and we're just as bad at corner as we are at safety :(

That was certainly the situation under Williams and Blache, but I am pretty sure we have clearly defined Strong and Free Safety positions under Haz.

I'm thoroughly confused now :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.