• Welcome to the New BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the new software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you find potential glitches, please report those in the Possible New Site Glitches and Issues thread. If you have questions, post them in the New Site Questions? thread.
  • The 2020 Season will be the last for our little community. Following the final WFT game of the 2020 season, the site will close it's doors. We wanted to give you a little advance notice so that you could retrieve any photos, content, or other material from the site before it became unavailable, so that you could exchange contact info with anyone you may desire, and ensure that folks would forgo any site donations going forward. We have had a blast being your favorite Redskins and WFT watering hole for the past decade. We had a great run and each of you were a part of it. Thanks to all of you for your amazing contributions and camaraderie. You made this a special place.

Release: REDSKINS SIGN JOSH BIDWELL

One of many experimental iterations ...

Pappas

The UDFA
Reaction score

PRESS RELEASE
For Immediate Release
March 23, 2010

REDSKINS SIGN JOSH BIDWELL

LOUDOUN COUNTY, VA – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent punter Josh Bidwell. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Bidwell (6-3, 220) will enter his 11th NFL season and has spent the past six seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2004-09). Prior to joining the Buccaneers, he spent his first five NFL seasons with the Green Bay Packers (1999-2003).

For his career, Bidwell has 727 punts for 31,085 yards (42.8 avg.) with a long of 68 yards and 209 punts placed inside the 20-yard line in 144 games. He earned Pro Bowl honors in 2005 after he averaged 45.6 yards per punt with a 37.5 net average for the Buccaneers.

Bidwell, 34, owns a Buccaneers club record in gross punting average (44.0 avg.), punting attempts (419) and punts inside the 20-yard line (124). In addition, he holds the top four single-season gross punting averages in Buccaneers history (2005-08) and owns three of the top five single-season net punting averages in club history (2005, 2007-08).

Bidwell missed the 2009 season after he sustained a hip injury and was placed on Injured Reserve on Aug. 17, 2009. He was released by Tampa Bay on March 4, 2010.

As a member of the Packers, Bidwell totaled 308 punts for 12,659 yards with a 41.1 avg. He originally entered the NFL as a fourth-round (133rd overall) selection of the Green Bay Packers in the 1999 NFL Draft. He missed his rookie season (1999) after being placed on the Reserve/Non-Football Illness list.

Bidwell was a four-year letterman (1995-98) at the University of Oregon, where he was a first-team All-Pac-10 selection and earned second-team Associated Press All-America honors as a senior. His punting average of 40.8 is the third-best in school history. Bidwell graduated from Oregon with a bachelor of arts degree in English.

Born March 13, 1976, Bidwell is a native of Winston, Ore.

China

The Team Captain
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Michigan State

So Allen signed one of his former TB players. How does he compare to Hunter Smith? I liked Hunter; he seemed to do a good job when he was healthy. Staying healthy being the caveat. But I see Bidwell was out last year with a hip injury, so he doesn't seem any better in that regard.

Just as long as he's a reliable, decent punter, it'll be fine with me. I'm not expecting Ray Guy.

Sarge

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score

Air Force

Nothing wrong with a little competition. Hopefully Smith will get good and stretched out and win the job

Jimbo

The Franchise Player
Reaction score

I would prefer Hunter. He did a great job holding and there's always the element of surprise with him which helps prevent blocked punts and FG's.

Om

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Virginia Tech

Just posted this in the stickied thread, but ... without looking it up, can anyone name the last punter to hold the Redskins job for at least 2 full continuous seasons?

Elephant

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Florida State

Just posted this in the stickied thread, but ... without looking it up, can anyone name the last punter to hold the Redskins job for at least 2 full continuous seasons?
Jeff Hayes?

Elephant

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Florida State

Last edited:

Pappas

The UDFA
Reaction score

Nothing wrong with a little competition. Hopefully Smith will get good and stretched out and win the job
Hunter is an unrestricted free agent and is not currently with the team.

the Omniscient

The Starter
Reaction score

Yeah, I originally thought Roby, and then thought, nah, it could not have been that long ago. I honestly forgot all about Frost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.
    Chat 0