• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Regular Season Practice / Roster / Injury updates

He’s an unknown quantity as a 2nd year NFL QB who really will get his first legit starts in 2020. He’s not going to get any respect or betting money until he earns it and that’s as it should be.

The difference between you and me is that I readily acknowledge I could be wrong about Haskins.

F07A96B9-5FBC-41C7-956F-265AA534242A.jpeg

Seen speculation he could be added to mimic Kyler in practice, similar play style

Hakeem Butler is interesting

He was a stud in college.
Found this article about him when apparently the Steelers were targeting him.

The departure of Pro Bowl wide receiver Antonio Brown has left big shoes for the Pittsburgh Steelers to fill. There would be no bigger way to fill Brown’s shoes than by drafting the gigantic 6’5 wide receiver Hakeem Butler from Iowa State. Butler has exploded onto the scene despite playing at a lesser known school and his draft stock continues to soar. Off the field, Butler’s character can be described as hardened as he has battled adversity throughout all of his life

Here is a piece from Des Moines that details how Butler has battled the odds of his environment since he was just a kid. He grew up in a tough neighborhood in Baltimore but Butler was still thriving as a basketball star at the time. The receiver’s world received its biggest challenge yet when his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer when he was around 13-14. An excerpt from the article reveals a touching tidbit on Butler’s rising role in his household with his mother ill.

“When his mom would go to the doctor, he’d help carry her up and down the steps. Hakeem helped his mother take her medicine. He also helped his brother with his homework and answered any questions he needed. He was a son, father and brother all rolled into one.”

Unfortunately, Butler’s mother passed away from breast cancer in October 2012. Butler was just 16 years old, though he credits his mother for his amazing work ethic.

“You have to work hard every single day of your life. You can’t take any days off when it comes down to it. She worked every single day. I see how hard she worked, but she had her fun, too. You would never catch her without a smile on her face. That’s what I took from her,” says Butler in a Draft Wire interview.

Shortly after his mother’s death, the receiver moved to Texas to live with his aunt and uncle. It is there that his football career really took off. More adversity was on the way as Butler was rated as just a two-star recruit and did not have many other offers besides Houston and Iowa State. He chose Iowa State and from there he exploded into national discussion, finishing with 60 receptions for 1318 yards and nine touchdowns last season. He did this through a consistent work ethic that did not go unnoticed by those around him.

“There’s that ‘wow’ factor to him. He comes every day and practices like it’s game day and when you’re 6-6 and can run like he can and you’re loose and have that type of catch radius, fun things will show up,” says Iowa State receiving coach Bryan Gasser.

Butler compares his work ethic to a dog mentality, saying “You’ve got to be a dog, you can’t take no days off.”

Though he is currently finished all his necessary workouts with the NFL Combine and Iowa State pro-days in the past, Butler is continuing to work on his craft, training with former NFL receivers Calvin Johnson and Anquan Boldin.

Butler has battled obstacle over obstacle over his life and career. Each time the odds did not seem to be in his favor but through maturity and a strong work ethic, the receiver has continued to beat the odds. Now he awaits to hear his name on Draft Day, possibly even in the first round. Butler would likely invite you to bet against him as he has proved time and time again that the only thing he does better than catching a football is proving others wrong.

In honor of his mother’s life, Butler has also started a Pledge It campaign for breast cancer research and awareness.

Why is he available?

Injured hand kept him out of last year which was his whole rookie season. He was released this preseason from a crowded Airzona WR room with the addition of Hopkins, along with Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk. His injury happened on a ST play so I don't think he's unwilling to do that, and I'm not sure why he couldn't catch on as their 5th or 6th guy, or why they opted not to bring him back. It definitely doesn't look good, but maybe we can find something in him that Arizona couldn't. I don't THINK we would bring him in for intel but who knows.

If they're willing to take a 3rd, I do this right now and immediately start talking extension. Robinson takes this WR group from questionmark to threat. He's going to be better than anyone you draft next year not named J'Marr Chase, and it's highly unlikely we take Chase because of the needs on the O-line

I advocated the Skins go after Robinson hard when he came back from his injury. Nothing’s changed. Likely they’d want a 2nd at a minimum and someone will probably give them one.

I advocated the Skins go after Robinson hard when he came back from his injury. Nothing’s changed. Likely they’d want a 2nd at a minimum and someone will probably give them one.
Yup, I remember how vocal you were and agreed...I truly believed he would sign with the Skins.

I think another move this team should make is to go after Earl Thomas. If anyone can get him on board, it's the tag team of Del Rio and Rivera. Sign him for a little as possible, at least enough of a contract that is easy to terminate and not cost much against the cap.

Yup, I remember how vocal you were and agreed...I truly believed he would sign with the Skins.

I think another move this team should make is to go after Earl Thomas. If anyone can get him on board, it's the tag team of Del Rio and Rivera. Sign him for a little as possible, at least enough of a contract that is easy to terminate and not cost much against the cap.

I don’t disagree on Thomas. But I think they are so focused on ‘culture’ right now, they won’t take a chance on him. Ditto OBJ.

I don’t disagree on Thomas. But I think they are so focused on ‘culture’ right now, they won’t take a chance on him. Ditto OBJ.
OBJ is done being a premier WR in this league. As for culture and Earl Thomas, like you've said a number of times...winning cures most ills. This team would be wise to at least entertain the idea. From what I am hearing, Apke certainly is not the answer.

OBJ is done being a premier WR in this league. As for culture and Earl Thomas, like you've said a number of times...winning cures most ills. This team would be wise to at least entertain the idea. From what I am hearing, Apke certainly is not the answer.

My unpopular opinion... they need to leave Apke out there and see if he can learn. He showed enough athleticism and speed to get the nod to start... give him at least half a season before we move on. I know what the retort is... can’t teach instincts, he takes bad angles, etc... but honestly we as fans are too quick to write off young players. We’ve seen it over and over again where we want to move on from guys who a year or two later are valuable contributors.

Again, probably an unpopular opinion :)

My unpopular opinion... they need to leave Apke out there and see if he can learn. He showed enough athleticism and speed to get the nod to start... give him at least half a season before we move on. I know what the retort is... can’t teach instincts, he takes bad angles, etc... but honestly we as fans are too quick to write off young players. We’ve seen it over and over again where we want to move on from guys who a year or two later are valuable contributors.

Again, probably an unpopular opinion :)
Meh...we've seen it work here with some players, and others it has not. He has a coaching staff in place that should get the best out o f him, but if what I hear about his performance is true...they may want to call Thomas. He's still young enough to be top rated at his position for 3-4 more years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.