• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Refs add new trick to their arsenal

burgold

The Pro Bowler
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
We've gotten used to the phantom penalties. We've gotten three so far by the half against Carolina. We're used to the non-calls. Well, the refs have to add something so we know they're trying.

Introducing... the phantom whistle.

Yes, they can blow the play dead and then when the defense stops decide to let the other team keep going. What a load of crap.

It was a bad whistle, but the ref blew it. Play over. They even conferenced and decided to get it wrong.

Agreed Burg. Inconceivable how they get that call wrong, particularly when it resulted in a TD.

Did we have replacement refs today?

I don't think the replacement refs were a whole lot worse than what we've seen the past several weeks.

Anyone else not shocked that the refs forced us to score three touchdowns before they stopped throwing flags? So tired of one-sided reffing.

Such bad, bad horrible calls all game long. We only got one in our favor when Carolina got that weird delay of game, but I think they'll take a 12-1 advantage. Plus, so many game extending cheap first downs on phantoms.

Our defense is bad enough. Opponents do not need help.

Refs are no less incompetent than our pathetic coaching staff.

Top to bottom.

The whistle call was a legit bad call. Some of the others not so much. I think I heard we are the most penalized team in the NFL, you cannot blame that on the Ref's. That is from a total lack of discipline which starts from the head guy. We have players on our team who are always in fights and arguing with the Ref's, and it is starting to rub off on our younger players. It is an embarrassment.

The whistle call was a legit bad call. Some of the others not so much. I think I heard we are the most penalized team in the NFL, you cannot blame that on the Ref's. That is from a total lack of discipline which starts from the head guy. We have players on our team who are always in fights and arguing with the Ref's, and it is starting to rub off on our younger players. It is an embarrassment.

I agree and disagree.

I count at lesat five non penalties that are called against us every game. I'm talking blatantly bad miscalls that should never be called or never are called against other teams.

Calls like an offsides against our kickoff team that not only wasn't offsides, but was called not in the moment, not during the play, but well after the play. The timing of these phantoms is just too consistant to be coincidental.

And yes, I aware that someone will say this is loser talk, but frankly, it's also loser talk to keep taking a cheap shot and never fighting back.

The following is a transcript of the pool report conducted following the game between the Washington Redskins and Carolina Panthers on Sunday, Nov. 4, 2012. Present were Referee Carl Cheffers, PFWA pool reporter Mike Jones of The Washington Post, Ross Taylor of Redskins Public Relations and Observer Jim Duke. The play in question came with 33 seconds remaining in the first quarter on a 30-yard touchdown run by Carolina’s DeAngelo Williams.

Mike Jones, Washington Post: “Was there an inadvertent whistle on the touchdown play for Carolina?”

Referee Carl Cheffers: “Yes. The line judge blew his whistle. We had a lot of discussion about it. We just felt when the whistle blew, that the player would have already scored a touchdown. So, we tried to piece together if we had to spot -- by rule, we would have to put him down when the whistle blew, and we tried to decide where that spot would be, and we felt that spot would be in the end zone. “

Jones: “That he was already way ahead?”

Cheffers: “Yep. That by the time the whistle blew, he had already crossed the goal line. That was our decision, and that’s why I announced that the ruling on the field is touchdown.”

Jones: “What’s the normal procedure? Is that the norm, that you try to piece it together like that?”

Cheffers: “Yes. So, the options are he can either take the result of the play for the offense, or he could either go back and replay. And so, they’re obviously going to want to take the result of the play as a long gainer. And the spot was going to be important, and that’s why we were trying to piece together where that spot would be.”

Jones: “Who could take the result? You said 'he could take the result.’”

Cheffers: The offense has the choice during an inadvertent whistle to take the result of the play or replay the down.

Jones: “And the defense doesn’t have any?”

Cheffers: “No. No.”

Cheffers: “Yep. That by the time the whistle blew, he had already crossed the goal line. That was our decision, and that’s why I announced that the ruling on the field is touchdown.”
Bull****. He was 15 yards away from the goal line.

The explanation makes no sense, does it?

Boone, what you just posted is appalling. And egregious. I hope the NFL office reads that and disciplines those involved. I don't think it had that much of an effect on that game as they likely would have scored anyway, but it would be nice to not feel bent over by the refs once in a while.

No - that's real - direct quotes provided by the team.

Unbelievable sequence of events. If I wasn't a Redskins fan, and used to the screw jobs, I might be more pissed.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.