• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Sign LB Akeem Jordan

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
March 19, 2014

REDSKINS SIGN LB AKEEM JORDAN

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed unrestricted free agent linebacker Akeem Jordan. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Jordan (6-1, 230) originally entered the NFL as a college free agent with the Philadelphia Eagles on Sept. 4, 2007. He spent his first six NFL seasons in Philadelphia from 2007-12 before signing with the Kansas City Chiefs as an unrestricted free agent on April 15, 2013.

For his career, Jordan has compiled 247 tackles (202 solo), seven passes defensed, two interceptions, two forced fumbles, two fumbles recovered and one sack in 98 regular season games with 44 starts. Last season, Jordan appeared in all 16 regular season games for the Chiefs, matching his career high with 10 starts and recording a personal-best 63 total tackles (51 solo). Kansas City posted a 9-1 record in games in which Jordan started.

Jordan played collegiately at James Madison, where he played in 50 games with 26 starts. He posted 299 career tackles and 7.5 sacks, earning Atlantic-10 Conference Defensive Player of the Year honors in 2006 and finishing second in voting for the Buck Buchanan Award, given annually to the most outstanding defensive player in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision.

Jordan, 28, attended Harrisonburg (Va.) H.S., where he earned all-state honors as a linebacker and a running back and helped his team to a state title his junior year.

He's a bit light at 230 vs the run but I could see him in a platoon with Sharpton coming in on passing downs.

But was that because he couldn't cover or that the Chiefs often went with a dime package on longer yardage downs?

Great signing. Two birds with one stone. He's 28 years old.

Jordan was perhaps Kansas City's best special teams player last season.

And that's an area Washington needed to fix after a disastrous 2013. Part of the problem was a lack depth at the linebacker position, and the team's backups were not strong on special teams. That should be different this season.

Washington Redskins sign ex-Kansas City Chiefs LB Akeem Jordan to deal - ESPN

Funny Mike :)

But it's an important point because Sharpton and Riley are not known as being solid in coverage.

Unless Keenan Robinson comes back healthy and shows good athleticism in space we could be in trouble vs the pass.

They are really solidifying special teams, and I love it. If you think about it, teams cost us at least 3 or 4 games last year, which if we have, maybe we're suddenly 7-9/8-8 instead of a pathetic 3-13. I think our suckitude on kick coverage last year was probably the worst I've seen. Absolutely terrible.

If nothing else, Allen and company solidify only the coverage units, the Skins should be markedly improved. Add in some solid rookies via the draft, perhaps one or two of our 2nd & 3rd year players step up, and I'm confident this team could be significantly better, maybe even have a Kansas City like turnaround.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

ST was a mess.

The other thing is that our defensive philosophy of bend but don't break was flawed.

The better qbs we faced in Manning, Rodgers, Romo, etc were able to drive the ball 60 yards on us and not make the killer mistake. That meant easy points.

With the passing rules as they are you have to pressure the qb.

Without a rush having good starting corners doesn't mean what it used to ten or twenty years ago.

The moves we have made on defense have been to bolster the rush with the acquisition of Hatcher and the retention of Orakpo and Baker.

I'm reserving judgment. You don't just plug and play. Players have to learn the schemes and learn to play together - nowhere more so than on ST. Whether we've significantly upgraded at any spot remains to be seen.

Players have to learn the schemes and learn to play together - nowhere more so than on ST.

Really? This is interesting - coverages are pretty much all very similar besides a few wrinkles here and there I'd imagine, only thing that changes are the calls and the players. I would have said special teams are the one unit you can absolutely plug n play.

I don't agree Boone.

Doc Walker and Cooley indicated and I agree with them that ST in the NFL is 75% want to.

The players we had last year at least according to Niles Paul and Cooley's film breakdown just didn't bust a hump to get the job done, while some felt they were. 'Too good' for ST duty.

I'm just saying that getting a perceived 'upgrade' in talent doesn't automatically equate to improved unit performance, particularly right away. And I think there is a ton of technique and skill involved in ST play - we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm betting if you look around the league it's not always the most 'talented' units that lead the way.

I'm just saying that getting a perceived 'upgrade' in talent doesn't automatically equate to improved unit performance, particularly right away. And I think there is a ton of technique and skill involved in ST play - we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm betting if you look around the league it's not always the most 'talented' units that lead the way.

Certainly there is a cohesiveness and understanding where the other guy is at that has to develop.

I think we can all agree our "not-so-special" teams needed serious help, and they are at least attempting to address that, which is good enough for me. Hopefully it works out!

Whoever they pick as a return man better be playing madden all summer.

Because the decisions made about when to return the ball and when not to, and when to let it bounce and for how long before picking it up, was some of the most amateurish decision making I've ever seen.

Those decisions alone cost us critical field position.

the number of blocked field goals... 2 against san diego I believe? i mean we had two field goals blocked in the same game. most teams don't get two in a season we had two IN THE SAME GAME ARE YOU KIDDING ME HOW WERE WE SO TERRIBLE ON SPECIAL TEAMS LAST YEAR

thinking about that just made me the angriest I've been since the season ended!!!!!!!!!

His final contract details are out:

Akeem Jordan one-year Redskins deal, $920,000, $65,000 bonus, $855,000 salary.

Love it.

I'm surprised Goaldie hasn't mentioned it yet, but Jordan is from Harrisonburg, VA, and attended college at JMU.

I love it when they sign local kids, just kind of heart warming to me. I know how awesome it would've been if I could've suited up for the Skins, and it's cool to think someone else is experiencing those same emotions.

Well, no one can blame Snyder for meddling - outside of Hatcher I don't think he heard of any of the guys we signed as free agents :)

Last edited:
I'm surprised Goaldie hasn't mentioned it yet, but Jordan is from Harrisonburg, VA, and attended college at JMU.

I love it when they sign local kids, just kind of heart warming to me. I know how awesome it would've been if I could've suited up for the Skins, and it's cool to think someone else is experiencing those same emotions.

Been busy at work, but yeah, I saw that this morning. My alumni newsletter had a note about it. Very cool!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.