• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Recon - The Preseason; First Stop, Music City

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
Redskins football is back!

Yeah, it's just the pre-season, warm-up games for all involved, checking out the rooks to see how they do against real live NFL opponents, seeing if the vets both old and new still have "it", seeing how well injury recoveries have gone, testing new scheme wrinkles and position changes, the home stretch for roster spots and starting job assignments. We all know the drill.

But it's our Redskins, back in uniform, playing against somebody other than themselves in practice.

And it's here.

First up; The Titans.

Pre-season games usually don't have a lot of comment about the opposing team-especially in the opener. Every team's fans have been doing the same thing-concentrating on their team and what has been, and is still being, done to strengthen areas of weakness, checking out their rooks and FAs, sometimes even new coaches and assistants.

After digging in eight different Titans boards this was the most relevant comment I found.

TitanLegend
Last meeting: 2010 Regular Season/Washington won 19-16

Might be a little early, but hell with it, I'm too excited to wait any longer.

Sucks we won't get to see RG3 against our defense, he's become one of my favorite players in the league. Oh well, most important thing is seeing how Locker has developed. He's expected to receive 20-25 snaps.

There was an oblique reference in a thread going during the Miami/Dallas game.

afcsouthdom
Cowboys and Dolphins both look like some crap. ( first half.)

jcbrave
well in all fairness it's the first preseason game and it's mostly backups playing at this point

afcsouthdom
If the Titans look like that on Thursday, I'm gonna be PISSED!!!!!!!!!!

Not much-not much at all.

I decided to try a different direction and check Titan's fan blogs and see if I could find something useful-some analysis or something, maybe individual matchups to check out and that's when I hit paydirt. A fan named jlomas at SBNation Music City Miracles board did a two part breakdown called "What to look for Titans vs. Redskins" on both offense and defense.

For your entertainment and edification, here they are. :)

What to look for in Titans vs Redskins: Offense
By jlomas

We all know that win-lose numbers in preseason are useless, however as the NFL Network promos continue to tell fans, there are some relevant things to watch for in these games. So, which things should you focus on since the points and outcome doesn't really matter.

RG Chance Warmack, LG Andy Levitre (and whoever plays center) v.s. Barry Cofield

The name may not ring a bell for fans not familiar of his work in the NFC East, but Cofield is a very talented nose tackle. I have a lot of faith in Levitre's ability to handle interior pass rushers of this quality, but how will the other two fair?

Warmack's hands deal blows comparable to sledgehammer swings, but his footwork has been sloppy and this will be a tough matchup. In the running game I think it will be a blowout in favor of Warmack, but this will be the perfect challenge for a talented rookie against an experienced veteran.

As for the center position, I think both Turner and Velasco have played better against more talented opposition but it isn't a layup either. If the both Titan centers can show that they are rust free then this job could be very close to a two-man race.

Young Titan WRs vs a young Redskins defensive backfield

The most interesting matchup will be Justin Hunter versus David Amerson. In college, the two met in the first game of the last season and the Tennessee WR group...well lets just say "dominated" would be putting it mildly. This could be just the confidence builder that Hunter needs. After a tough camp with WR coach Shawn Jefferson constantly on his back, a sharp performance could show him that he is on the right path.

Another interesting wrinkle is how Kendall Wright and Justin Hunter will deal with a talented combination of rookie safeties in Baccarri Rambo and Phillip Thomas. The two receivers will be contending against safeties that they have no film on, and they need to expect a tough competition or they could be in for a surprise.

Jackie Battle and Shonn Greene v.s. the redzone defense

The Titans should get a fair amount of shots in the redzone, the question is, who will close the deal. Shonn Greene has a lot to prove after getting a large contract, and he has to be motivated to produce and prove that he is worth that money.

Battle on the other hand has bounced from team to team despite his productivity, and should be eager just to earn a roster spot. Last year, nearly one out of every four touches was a first down including four touchdowns despite only playing 165 snaps. If the Titans get a chance to look at him extensively against Washington's second stringers, then he may earn himself a spot on next week's gameplan.

What to look for in Titans vs Redskins: Defense
By jlomas

We all know that win-lose numbers in preseason are useless, however as the NFL Network promos continue to tell fans, there are some relevant things to watch for in these games. So, which things should you focus on since the points and outcome doesn't really matter.

Sammie Hill and Jurrell Casey v.s. Will Montgomery, Kory Lichtensteiger, and Chris Chester.

Jurrell Casey is a battle-proven defensive tackle that has always been a handful for opposing offensive lineman to handle. Luckily, he know has a partner to help him push the pocket from the A-gap.

Sammie Lee Hill is a career backup, but he has clear starter potential. Hill's quick feet, wide frame, and intensity should prepare him well for his matchup against the tough tandem of Montgomer, Lichtensteiger and Chris Chester.

These three interior linemen work well together, but the weak point is easily left guard Kory Lichtensteiger. Whichever defensive tackle lines up opposite the left guard needs to win consistently to prevent the Redskins from running the ball down the throat of the Titans.

Titans linebackers v.s. Alfred Morris

This is should be one of the more telling matchups throughout the preseason. The Titans have to face Alfred Morris, Gio Bernard, Steven Jackson, and Adrian Peterson in preseason, that is a tough slate. Akeem Ayers, Zach Brown and Colin McCarthy need to have a more downhill mentality this year and that means that they can't be afraid to stick their (collective) nose in the run game.

With McCarthy and Zaviar Gooden out, it is up to other linebackers like Moise Fokou, Scott Solomon and Tim Shaw to help the defense. If the Titans can put together a strong showing despite injuries, it would go a long way towards reassuring the fans that the Titans LB depth is good enough.

Alterraun Verner v.s. anyone he goes against.

The Redskins have a fairly deep and talented group of wide receivers that should provide steady competition for the Titans defensive backs all game long. However, Alterraun Verner is under the microscope and he will likely see the most snaps of any defensive back (probably with his time split between FS and CB) so his performance is most important.

There are really three scenarios that could take place for Verner. If Verner shows up big at free safety then the Titans may feel more comfortable about the depth they have in that group. If Verner shows up well at safety, it creates more wrinkles for defensive coaches like Jerry Gray and Gregg Williams. Finally, if Verner doesn't show up at either spot it isn't the end of the road for him, but if will really hurt his chances of being a regular season starter.

Of course, we Redskins fans will be checking out the same things only looking for our guys to show these Titans fans,
and the rest of the NFL, that last season wasn't a "fluke" but the beginning of a run for another Lombardi trophy by
the Burgundy and Gold.

Hail.​

More...

nice post serv.

truthfully...for the first time in years...preseason means less to me. getting through it in tact means more.

You're certainly welcome, SS. I'm glad you like it-I'm glad to do it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.