Redskins Insider: Redskins rely on Portis blocking in pass protection

One of many experimental iterations ...

BGO

Even when Clinton Portis's teammates privately expressed frustration with his poor practice habits, they acknowledged he was second to none in blocking among the NFL's top running backs. For many seasons, Portis and former Redskins backup running back Ladell Betts excelled in blitz pick up, and Portis's blocking again was outstanding in the season-opening victory over Dallas. The Redskins, and especially quarterback Donovan McNabb, will count on Portis to continue his effective blocking Sunday against the Houston Texans at FedEx Field. "There are a lot of times where linebackers are running in the A-gaps and all of a sudden, Clinton just flies past me and gets a stalemate at the line of scrimmage," McNabb said. "He's a guy you definitely trust in the pass game."

Clinton Portis - NFL - Washington Redskins - National Football League - Running back

More...

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score

James Madison

Such an under appreciated part of CP. I tend to forget myself, until he steps up and effin' levels a LB on the blitz.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Lanky Livingston

The Commissioner
Reaction score

Florida Atlantic

Portis knocking Sheldon Quarles unconscious in the 2005 Wild Card game is still one of my favorite Redskins plays of all time.

SkinsOrlando

Searching for the 6 fingered man
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Kent State

Without CP's blocking we lose last week, it's that important, he's that important and Sellers should be forced to watch hours of tape on CP's blocking highlights so he can get a glimpse of what's supposed to happen.

Miles Monroe

Coaching Staff
Staff member
Reaction score

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErX6oZG7Gvs[/media]
Great video.

Love his passion, but he scares the hell out of me, the way he throws his body around. We'd be fairly screwed if we have another unfortunate injury. I'd be happy with very adequately instead of superbly:cool4:

Elephant

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Florida State

I gotta piggy back what SkinsOrlando said. At least two blitzes would have seen McNabb on his arse if it weren't for the great blocks by CP. Those would be sacks could have been game changers for the girls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.
    Chat 0