• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Hire Jay Gruden As Head Coach

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
January 9, 2014

REDSKINS NAME JAY GRUDEN AS HEAD COACH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Jay Gruden as the 29th head coach in franchise history.

Excluding interim coaches, Gruden, 46, becomes the team’s youngest head coaching hire since hiring eventual Pro Football Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs at 40 years of age in 1981. He becomes the first Redskins coach hired directly from an offensive coordinator role on another team since Norv Turner in 1994.

Gruden spent the last three seasons as offensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals. In his tenure in Cincinnati from 2011-13, the Bengals averaged 10 wins a season, making three consecutive playoff appearances and earning an AFC North championship in 2013. Members of the Bengals’ offense accounted for seven Pro Bowl selections in his three seasons in Cincinnati.

Gruden was tasked with the development of quarterback Andy Dalton, a 2011 second-round pick. In three seasons together, Gruden helped Dalton to a 30-18 regular season record as a starter (.625), as Dalton’s 30 wins in that time frame ranked tied for fifth-most among NFL quarterbacks. Dalton’s 80 passing touchdowns rank third-most in NFL history for a quarterback in his first three seasons, trailing only Dan Marino (98) and Peyton Manning (85).

Prior to joining the Bengals, Gruden served two years with the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League from 2009-10. In 2009, Gruden served as offensive coordinator under current Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett as the Tuskers compiled a 6-0 regular season record and earned a UFL championship game berth. In 2010, he assumed the roles of head coach and general manager and led the Tuskers to their second consecutive championship game appearance.

Gruden coached for seven seasons (2002-08) with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, earning a Super Bowl championship ring as an offensive assistant in 2002. There he worked under his brother, Jon, then the Bucs’ head coach, and current Redskins Executive Vice President/General Manager Bruce Allen, the Bucs’ general manager from 2004-08. Gruden helped guide the Buccaneers to the team’s first league championship, a 48-21 victory in Super Bowl XXXVII.

Gruden also ranks among the most outstanding players and coaches in the history of the Arena Football League, having won six combined league championships – four as a quarterback and two as a head coach. Gruden played quarterback (2002-03) and served as head coach (2004-08) of the AFL’s Orlando Predators, all while simultaneously working as an offensive assistant with the Buccaneers. In all, Gruden served as head coach of the Predators for nine seasons (1998-2001 and 2004-08), leading the Predators to four championship game appearances and two league titles as a coach. During a two-year hiatus from coaching the Predators in 2002-03, he returned to the playing field as Orlando’s quarterback, leading the Predators to playoff appearances in both seasons.

In his eight seasons as a player in the AFL, Gruden completed 1,673-of-2,775 passes (60.3 percent) for 21,578 yards with 398 touchdowns and 99 interceptions. In addition to his time with Orlando, he spent six seasons (1991-96) at quarterback for the Tampa Bay Storm, winning four AFL titles and being named MVP of ArenaBowl VII in 1993. He was also named the 1992 AFL Most Valuable Player and was honored with induction into the AFL Hall of Fame in 1999.

Gruden played quarterback for four seasons for former Redskins draft pick Howard Schnellenberger at the University of Louisville (1985-88) and was a two-time team MVP.

Gruden was born March 4, 1967 in Tiffin, Ohio. He and his wife, Sherry, have three sons — J.J., Joey and Jack.

Included on the following pages are Gruden’s career timeline, offensive Pro Bowlers under his tutelage, pertinent career numbers, ArenaBowl appearances, comments on his hiring and more.

GRUDEN FOOTBALL TIMELINE

1985-88: Quarterback, University of Louisville
1989: Student Assistant, University of Louisville
1990: Quarterback, Barcelona Dragons and Sacramento Surge (WLAF)
1990-91: Graduate Assistant, University of Louisville
1991-96: Quarterback, Tampa Bay Storm (AFL)
1997: Offensive Coordinator, Nashville Kats (AFL)
1998-2001: Head Coach, Orlando Predators (AFL)
2002-08*: Offensive Assistant, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2002-03*: Quarterback, Orlando Predators
2004-08*: Head Coach, Orlando Predators
2009: Offensive Coordinator, Florida Tuskers (UFL)
2010: Head Coach, Florida Tuskers
2011-13: Offensive Coordinator, Cincinnati Bengals
2014: Head Coach, Washington Redskins
*Held jobs concurrently

OFFENSIVE PRO BOWLERS ON GRUDEN TEAMS

2002 (Buccaneers): RB Mike Alstott, QB Brad Johnson
2003 (Buccaneers): WR Keenan McCardell
2007 (Buccaneers): QB Jeff Garcia
2008 (Buccaneers): G Davin Joseph
2011 (Bengals): QB Andy Dalton, WR A.J. Green, TE Jermaine Gresham
2012 (Bengals): WR A.J. Green, TE Jermaine Gresham, T Andrew Whitworth
2013 (Bengals): WR A.J. Green

GRUDEN BY THE NUMBERS

21,578 Career passing yards in the AFL
4,778 Career postseason passing yards in the AFL, third-most all-time
4,136 Passing yards by the 2013 Bengals, a team record
1999 Year of induction into the AFL Hall of Fame
430 Points scored by the 2013 Bengals, third-most in Cincinnati history
398 Career AFL passing touchdowns
93-61 Career AFL head coaching record
84.0 Percentage of goal-to-go drives culminating in TDs for the 2013 Bengals, tops in the NFL
80 Andy Dalton passing TDs under Gruden, third-most in an NFL player’s first three years
46 Gruden’s age, making him the youngest non-interim Redskins head coach hired since Joe Gibbs
29 Number of head coaching tenures in Washington Redskins history, including Gruden
28 Number of individuals who have been named Head Coach of the Washington Redskins
13 Combined years as a quarterback in the NCAA, WLAF and AFL
10 NFL seasons coaching with the Buccaneers (2002-08) and Bengals (2011-13)
6 Arena Bowl championships (four as a player, two as a coach)
5 NFL teams, including Gruden’s Bengals, to make three playoff appearances from 2011-13
4 Ranking by the AFL on its 2012 list of the league’s 25 Greatest Players

GRUDEN’S ARENABOWL APPEARANCES

1991 ArenaBowl V Champions (Quarterback, Tampa Bay Storm)
1993 ArenaBowl VII Champions* (Quarterback, Tampa Bay Storm)
1995 ArenaBowl IX Champions (Quarterback, Tampa Bay Storm)
1996 ArenaBowl X Champions (Quarterback, Tampa Bay Storm)
1998 ArenaBowl XII Champions (Head Coach, Orlando Predators)
1999 ArenaBowl XIII Runner-up (Head Coach, Orlando Predators)
2000 ArenaBowl XIV Champions (Head Coach, Orlando Predators)
2006 ArenaBowl XX Runner-up (Head Coach, Orlando Predators)

* Named ArenaBowl VII Most Valuable Player

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING ABOUT GRUDEN:

“I’m ecstatic for Jay. From the first time we met I’ve been a Jay Gruden fan, and I’m grateful for what he did for us, his work with a young quarterback and helping take us where we’ve been, the last three seasons in the playoffs. I knew he might get this kind of opportunity, of course, so it’s not a surprise, and I just wish him all the best.”
- Bengals Head Coach Marvin Lewis
Coached with Gruden for the Cincinnati Bengals from 2011-13

“Jay’s first year was my rookie year, and it was cool coming in together and growing and getting better. One thing that really helped make it smooth for me was that from the start, Jay was big on asking my input, what I’m most comfortable with and any ideas I had. With Jay I had a very positive transition from college to the NFL. I feel fortunate to have had him as my only pro coordinator. He’s helped me in a lot of ways.”
- Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton
Coached by Gruden on the Cincinnati Bengals from 2011-13

“I'm really proud of my brother. He's worked extremely hard to get this opportunity. The Washington Redskins are one of the great NFL franchises. I fully expect him to make the most of this opportunity.”
- Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden
Jay’s brother, coached together with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2002-08

“We are very excited for Jay to seize this incredible opportunity with the Washington Redskins. He was an exceptional player and coach in the AFL for many years and has been a tremendous ambassador for the sport of Arena Football. We are proud of all that Jay has been able to accomplish since he first stepped onto an AFL field in 1991 and we look forward to seeing him do great things in Washington for years to come.”
- Arena Football League Commissioner Jerry B. Kurz

“I called him and left a message. I said, 'Hey, congratulations for this wonderful opportunity that the Redskins have given you and that you’re my pride and joy because you’ve exemplified, more than any of my quarterbacks, perseverance, mental toughness, team above self and just plain stubbornness.’ He was my quarterback at Louisville in the first year where we went 2-9. He was my quarterback when we went [3-8] and in the third year we go [3-7-1]. Then for his senior year we go 8-3 and even at 8-3 we couldn’t get a bowl yet… He persevered and took the long trip. He didn’t go up a smooth trail. He took a winding, hard trail to a head coaching job in the National Football League by being the best quarterback that ever was in Arena Football and being the best coach we’ve ever had in Arena Football. So now he gets his due reward. “
- Former Coach Howard Schnellenberger
Coached Gruden at Louisville from 1985-88

WASHINGTON REDSKINS HEAD COACHING HISTORY

Lud Wray (1932)
Lone Star Dietz (1933-34)
Eddie Casey (1935)
Ray Flaherty (1936-42)
Arthur “Dutch” Bergman (1943)
Dudley DeGroot (1944-45)
A.G. “Turk” Edwards (1946-48)
John Whelchel (1949)
Herman Ball (1949-51)
Dick Todd (Interim, 1951)
Earl “Curly” Lambeau (1952-53)
Joe Kuharich (1954-58)
Mike Nixon (1959-60)
Bill McPeak (1961-65)
Otto Graham (1966-68)
Vince Lombardi (1969)
Bill Austin (1970)
George Allen (1971-77)
Jack Pardee (1978-80)
Joe Gibbs** (1981-92)
Richie Petitbon (1993)
Norv Turner (1994-2000)
Terry Robiskie (Interim, 2000)
Marty Schottenheimer (2001)
Steve Spurrier (2002-03)
Joe Gibbs** (2004-07)
Jim Zorn (2008-09)
Mike Shanahan (2010-13)
Jay Gruden (2014)

Pro Football Hall of Famers bolded and italicized.
** Considered both the 20th and 26th head coach in franchise history

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.