• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins.com: Pete Prisco: Redskins FA Haul Receives "A" Grade

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
CBS Sports Senior NFL Columnist Pete Prisco is a notoriously prickly pundit. In his review of the first 10 days of free agency, Prisco only gave two of 32 franchises “A” grades: the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Washington Redskins.

Here’s what Prisco had to say about Washington’s moves in free agency to date.

“Once upon a time, the Redskins were huge players in free agency. Now they are a lot smarter. They signed seven free agents and four of them should be starters: Defensive tackleJason Hatcher, receiver Andre Roberts, corner Tracy Porter and guard Shawn Lauvao. They also re-signed linebacker Perry Riley and corner DeAngelo Hall, two starters. I like what Washington did without a huge splash. Grade: A-”

The Redskins Blog | CBS: Redskins FA Haul Receives ?A? Grade

Wow. I'm not sure I'd be so kind but it's nice to see at least some talking heads not immediately going to the "Dan Snyder blah blah blah overspend blah blah blah" well.

Wow. I'm not sure I'd be so kind but it's nice to see at least some talking heads not immediately going to the "Dan Snyder blah blah blah overspend blah blah blah" well.

If we can step back and take a look at the big picture, what did all of us ask for before FA began? What was every Skins fan screaming for?

4-5 new starters. No wasted big splash. No drama. Just a professional rebuild.

Well, we're 4 or 5 new starters in already, and we haven't even gotten to the draft. Personally, I'm thrilled so far.

We may end up with 6 or 7 new starters before all is said and done.

Well, I do think there is a difference between a 'starter' and a 'starting quality player.'

Yes, some of the new guys we signed will be starters. But other than Hatcher and Porter they probably shouldn't be.

Well, I do think there is a difference between a 'starter' and a 'starting quality player.'

Yes, some of the new guys we signed will be starters. But other than Hatcher and Porter they probably shouldn't be.

I understand what you're saying, but with so many holes to fill, we had to budget to sign a bunch of players. We literally couldn't have even taken a snap without another LB, CB, etc.

And I'll go out on a limb right now and predict that you'll really like Roberts. He's going to surprise you.

I understand what you're saying, but with so many holes to fill, we had to budget to sign a bunch of players. We literally couldn't have even taken a snap without another LB, CB, etc.

Of course. I'm just trying to put the '4-5 new starters' claim into perspective. When most of us said we needed new starters we didn't necessarily simply mean warm bodies.

And I'll go out on a limb right now and predict that you'll really like Roberts. He's going to surprise you.

I hope so. It's always nice when one of these unproven guys surprises us.

Of course. I'm just trying to put the '4-5 new starters' claim into perspective. When most of us said we needed new starters we didn't necessarily simply mean warm bodies.

I hope so. It's always nice when one of these unproven guys surprises us.

Well, in a perfect world, let's say we had 6 starters to replace. That's not including ST players.

Now would we prefer 2 stars/bigger name FA players, and the other 4 guys to be hot garbage?

Or six solid, if not spectacular upgrades?

The prior administration left us in a pickle. We can't have it both ways.

One year our offseason consisted of signing Nick Giaquinto to be the third down back, Alvin Garrett to be a fourth receiver and Tony McGee to be a situational pass rusher at age 34.

Months later all three were key players on a Super Bowl team.

Well, in a perfect world, let's say we had 6 starters to replace. That's not including ST players.

Now would we prefer 2 stars/bigger name FA players, and the other 4 guys to be hot garbage?

Or six solid, if not spectacular upgrades?

The prior administration left us in a pickle. We can't have it both ways.

Like I said, I see two upgrades. Hatcher and Porter.

I understand why we are in the position we're in. That doesn't make warm bodies solid starters.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
With 20 plus expiring contracts, how many 'spectacular' players did you expect us to sign?

I suppose we could have outbid Denver for Talib and signed Mack to an offer sheet the Browns would not match.

So, you now have two top players at their position and how much money to field a 45 man active roster?

That doesn't really matter. I'm not grading a term paper here. I'm simply commenting on the 'take a step back and look at the big picture' post that suggested the team has met the expectations of adding 4-5 starters to this team. We really haven't. We've signed about two.

I don't really care why. I know why. If you guys want me to pat Bruce Allen on the shoulder and tell him I understand, fine. I do.

But let's not delude ourselves into thinking we've signed ourselves 4-5 new quality starters. Unless we hit the lottery a couple times, we haven't.

You could make the argument that signing a few young highly skilled starters shows more patience and will have a bigger long term impact than trying to upgrade multiple positions with average to slightly above average players in a single year. I don't think the approach of going after high-priced stars in the past was the 'problem', it was our urge to bring in those guys in the twilight of their careers that has been the bigger issue. Whoever we pick up, I want them to be rock solid contributors 3-4 years from now. I think there's a good chance half the guys we have added so far won't stick (and I'm guessing that's what Henry is inferring). Bottom line, what we *think* now really is irrelevant. Show me :)

I like the fact that the argument is whether or not the bulk of the guys we signed in free agency will:
a - make the team
b - compete for a starting slot
and c - win the competition and be a starter.

I'll take that 7 days a week over the past conversations which were:
a - did we overspend
b - if we did overspend, by how much
c - did we get suckered into 'contract year' play and will this guy be a bust leaving us holding a 4-5 year top contract with nothing to show for it?
d - how this one guy is going to get us to the super bowl

:)

though i must admit the conversation outside of our fan base is that we did get suckered into contract play by Hatcher.

but we're the intelligent fan base not them so screw 'em.

Well, to be fair Hatcher is a bit of a question mark, but I think he'll find a spot in the rotation even if he's not a pro-bowler in our system.

And if he doesn't work out we can cut him after 2015 without too much of a headache.

Not gonna worry about that right now. :)

It's not like we made Hatcher the highest paid defensive player in NFL history or anything. Screwed? I've read it's actually pretty favorable for us after the first two seasons; if he's not producing, he's gone. Seems very reasonable to me, and how it SHOULD work.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I think this is about right.

From what I've read, Allen doesn't think there was a lot wrong with the team we fielded last year...that ST's was the big problem.

I'd say these FA signings pretty much reflect his perception.

Some of us would probably say that there's more problems than special teams, but hey, we don't control the roster.

Please tell me you didn't believe him when he said he liked our O-line the first day on the job?

That's what every new CEO, manager or coach will ever say when they step into a new position in any sport or any corporate job.

Company A buys company B. "No one's getting fired. I'm incredibly impressed with the employees in place."

Sixty days later the firings begin.

All I know is that if we don't draft a RT and a dozen or so dbs in April, we're pretty much screwed because anyone who follows the Skins knows those are obvious needs. So far, those obvious needs haven't been addressed in free agency.

A dozen or so? That's obvious hyperbole, but how many DBs do you think we actually need? No faith in Thomas or Rambo or Amerson whatsoever?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I know I haven't offered much input on how I think the Redskins FA has been going mainly because I've been in something similar to Boone's "show me" mode-waiting and watching the proceedings to try to get a handle on what the approach toward filling the needs the Redskins have Allen/Gruden were taking. Given Allen's "football bean counter" history the financial perspective hasn't been much of a surprise-even with restored cap space we haven't sold the house for a big name or two, which is comforting when compared to the recent past. The players we have grabbed, while not, I guess, "ideal", do show promise of improvements to varying degrees with a couple of possible starters and/or backups in the mix-at least some holes are recognized as needing filled at what seems to be reasonable cost.

(An aside here: To be honest, there is one, I guess you could call "big name" FA that I have wistful thoughts about. I am not happy seeing Alterraun Verner going to the Bucs and not here-but they let Revis go make it happen. And it still is a four year $26 million with $14 million guaranteed deal. Ouch. Oh well.)

I'm not going to give a personal grade on what's happened so far until the draft. One reason is the unusual depth of this draft-players are being graded at lower round levels in this draft than they would likely be in a more typical one-which benefits our position of not having a first rounder to grab. I think it's likely that is where Allen/Gruden are aiming their efforts in terms of major hole-filling efforts. Using that premise I can give them at least a nod at doing a sort-of passable job so far in FA so far as avoiding most of the glaring mistakes of the past. The draft strategy is what will, to me at least, tell the tale as far as if; 1.) I guessed correctly on what they were up to, and 2.) if whatever they actually had in mind looks like it may work.

I expect the replacement RT to be drafted and not come from FA, BTW. I could be wrong there too, of course, but we really need one badly, Bruce? Jay? ya listening?

Last edited:
man o man! fat fingering things this morning. too much cohee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.