• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Rate the Offseasons

Which NFC East team won the offseason?

• New York Giants

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Dallas Cowboys

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington Commanders

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Which NFC East team had the best offseason, and why?

Objectively, I'd say the Eagles.

I think they took a step forward talent wise. Dallas took a step back.
I don't have much of a feel for what NY are doing.

As much as I like what we did with our off season, there's a lot of questions which we need answers for before I'd commit to saying whether we took a step like the Eagles, or just remained treading water.

The Eagles had a good offseason only if Hurts improves, otherwise it's all for not (which can be said for us if Wentz craps the bed). I'm not really all that impressed with any team in the NFC Easts offseason, I think all the teams except Giants had about a C grade. The Giants seem to be rivaling the Jets for futility in NJ as it relates too football.

Personally, I would give the Washington offseason a C+ to B- range thus far.

I think when you look at the approach, it suggested that the team was relatively comfortable with who was already in the building, and that they didn't think they were too far off from being a good football team. There was a concerted effort for the most part of filling in targeted needs to help push us into becoming a playoff team, in particular with the Wentz signing.

The draft felt like a professional one to me. Not necessarily the sexiest names, but an emphasis on targetting guys that fit what they want to do and blend in nicely with the culture already being established.

Now, if arguably the franchise's most important player gets signed to an extension in the next month or so, it completely changes the complexion of the offseason. You lock up Terry McLaurin and regardless of what you think of the rest of Washington's offseason approach, it automatically becomes an A for me.

It's gotta be Philly. Hasaan Reddick, James Bradberry, and AJ Brown being the vet additions, while drafting Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean is huge. That's starters at Edge, CB2, DT, and MLB on defense, and a legit weapon on offense.

Now I don't think they'll be the best team in the division as all things go through Hurts on offense, but if we're talking JUST offseason? I give them the nod.

Carson Wentz can change that very quickly though.

Terry now expected to not attend mini-camp, if we can't get this deal done our offseason grade is going to be an F

I voted for the Commanders and let me explain.

Yes, it's hard to argue just on an 'adding pure talent' perspective that the Eagles didn't have the best offseason. But Washington not only added some significant offensive talent in the draft, they made the most important move any team can make in an offseason. They put a potentially difference-making QB under center.

I'm as aware as anyone of Wentz's history and that acquiring him is no kind of guarantee of success. But I'm not sure when the last time Washington had a QB with the raw ability of Carson Wentz captaining the offense - if ever. Statistically speaking, and in spite of all of the anti-Wentz rhetoric out there, the guy has had a very nice NFL career so far. Most of the *criticism* and *doubts* surrounding Wentz are based on intangibles... his 'attitude', his 'fragility', his 'selfishness'.... nevermind that none of those in reality seem to be true issues (at least according to his former and current teammates), that is the narrative. When you actually look at performance, for the most part, he's been a top 10 NFL QB. If the team continues to progress and doesn't take half a season to get rolling, the addition of Carson Wentz immediately makes the 2022 Washington Commanders a threat to take the division and go to the playoffs.

Very few single additions to a roster in the offseason have that kind of potential impact.

Washington found a guy that can have that impact, and that's why they win this particiular offseason.

I guess it means what you include in "the best offseason."

If you consider the off the field stuff and the collapse of almost every stadium deal, then the Commanders offseason has been absolutely awful. If you look at their major checklist it's a mixed bag. Mind you, their checklist and mine might be different. Mine looked something like:

Get a QB the team can win with and hopefully can be a medium to long range solution (calling this a check)
Replace Scherrf effectively (I think we have some one year band aids, but I'm a little worried about our o line and its depth. Let's call it a check minus.)
Resolve the free safety position (unchecked unless someone really improves or steps up.)
Resolve the middle linebacker position (unchecked unless someone really improves or steps up.)
Sign Terry. (unchecked)
Get Snyder to sell the team. (He won't take the check.)

I was talking purely football stuff Burgold but your point is certainly well taken. As far as your points regarding the roster, my gut response would be that you can't fill every hole with a viable long-term starter in any given offseason. And that's true for all the teams in the NFL, not just us. I'm essentially asking 'which NFC East team improved the most in this offseason'. I think you can make a strong case for the Commanders if Wentz performs well. But I hear you on the rest - believe me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.