• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

He was offered a contract that would have made him the highest paid guard in the league.

If that's true and he denied it, what does it say about our "culture"?

Do you mean denied by not accepting?

Why does it necessarily say anything about the culture? Have we heard any player bitching about the coaches, trainers, locker room or anything else?

I think there are valid reasons that have little to do with the team itself for players not to want to stay in DC. Money can always be a big factor. The location may be a big factor - let’s be honest, there are a ton of great landing spots in the NFL that in terms of weather, recreation, cost of living, tax codes, etc… Washington simply isn’t an attractive alternative to.

There seems to be a lot of drama around this team (maybe that’s changing, remains to be seen), the media is downright hostile, and at least up to now, we aren’t a perennial playoff team. That’s probably the only thing that’s theoretically within the teams control.

I think Scherff decided a while back he was going to maximize earning during his career and that’s what we’ve seen.

Ok. I took as meaning he denied Mayhew’s claim. I think Boone did, too. Thought I missed something.

Thats what I responded to but I’ve been busy so maybe that’s not what happened.

Honestly, a guy like Scherff is not even worth spending time on. See ya.

He denied the offer. Thanks for asking.

What it could very well say about the culture is that nothing has really changed. He's been offered to be paid as the highest guard out there and said no. Most people when they say "I want to stay" and are offered more than anyone else will...unless there is a reason not to.

If he hasn't other reasons to go besides the money...culture, weather, etc....I'm ok with it but don't pull a Cousins and say you want to stay, love to be here, etc. As a caveat, I haven't been following this, so don't know exactly what he has said.

I think Scherff decided a while back he was going to maximize earning during his career and that’s what we’ve seen.

This has been my impression the whole time. He made up his mind a while ago he would go out on the market to see what he could get. It didn’t matter what the Team offered him, he was going to gamble that he’d get more on the open market. It worked for Cousins. There is someone recently who did this and it backfired though. I can’t remember who or even for what team though. They ended up with less money than they were originally offered. He’s taking a gamble because while he is a good player, his injury history makes him a risky one.

I don’t harbor any ill will towards him. If he wants to go elsewhere, then let him. He’s not the key to a super bowl. All I’ll say is good luck and thanks for the memories.

I would agree if the "make him the highest paid guard in the league" wasn't added. You basically don't need to shop, you've got what you wanted, and you've stated you want to be here anyways.

Maybe his agent isn't telling him
Maybe it's incentive based making him highest paid
Maybe Mayhew is lying

Dunno...just seems odd and a little disturbing looking at it face value.

I guess the other thing could be.....maybe someone else would make him an even higher paid guard in the league. :)

Well, the term highest paid guard (or any position) is in the eyes of the beholder. It could have been highest paid for 2022, over the life of the contract, highest guarantee, or his 2026 salary could be higher than any salary right now. These NFL contracts are funny and you can use all kinds of creative terms to spin it how you want. Whatever they offered, he and his agent believes they can get something better. He may want a fully guaranteed contract. Who knows. But clearly he thinks he will get better elsewhere regardless of what was offered here.

If he wants to be elsewhere, then be elsewhere. Just be honest and forthright and don’t play the ‘I want to be here for my entire career’ act.

I wish him well but this team has too many more important needs for the money than guard.

If he wants to be elsewhere, then be elsewhere. Just be honest and forthright and don’t play the ‘I want to be here for my entire career’ act.

I wish him well but this team has too many more important needs for the money than guard.

This is 100% it. Just be honest for God’s sake.

YouTube does highlights of all the great plays from players in 2021 on a channel called SwayRun21

Dyami Brown had one. It was 1:35 long.

I thought of this today. With Judge being fired, the WFT has ended two coaching tenures the last game of the last 2 years. First Pederson with the Eagles. Now Judge with the Giants. That is definitely something we as fans can hang our hats on.

Was curious about that, so I checked his stats vs the league ...

1642194658335.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.