• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Have no idea if it’s the case for Young or not but maybe missing the voluntary OTA’s set him back.

His 7.5 sacks and other numbers his rookie season really didn’t warrant the hype he got. Would anyone really have much of an argument with me if I said ‘Montez Sweat had a better year’? Not Young’s fault he has been so over-hyped. I don’t think we have any idea what his career is going to look like in the end. I’ve already said what I think about us making him the #2 pick on that draft.
He had those sacks against weak tackles...when he plays good ones, he cannot bull rush past, he is mediocre at best.

I mean seriously, do you guys not watch film on him? We had this argument a couple years ago when he was disappearing in the big games at OSU. In his senior year he had two games with 3 or more sacks which made up nearly half his sack total. In the final 3 games of the year against quality opponents he had a half a sack.

Last year in the regular season he padded stats against weaker talent, then disappeared completely against Tampa in the playoffs.

It's not like I don't have a body of evidence to support what i'm saying.

He had those sacks against weak tackles...when he plays good ones, he cannot bull rush past, he is mediocre at best.

I mean seriously, do you guys not watch film on him? We had this argument a couple years ago when he was disappearing in the big games at OSU. In his senior year he had two games with 3 or more sacks which made up nearly half his sack total. In the final 3 games of the year against quality opponents he had a half a sack.

Last year in the regular season he padded stats against weaker talent, then disappeared completely against Tampa in the playoffs.

It's not like I don't have a body of evidence to support what i'm saying.

Thought you've only watched 2 quarters of football, and they both were Ravens games?

Lol I wonder if they even knew his name.

Thought you've only watched 2 quarters of football, and they both were Ravens games?
Stop trying to turn this into something else. It's not about me, it's about Chase Young being over rated...a discussion you and I had before he was ever drafted. At this point, with word coming out about your 1st round LB pick being a tad slow to the NFL game, Isaiah Simmons would have been a better pick last year since Young has not transformed that DL like everyone said he would.

Over the course of last year and the year before, Young's senior year and rookie years, he has shown up big in meaningless games against weak opponents and disappeared in the big games against good tackles. You know it, I know it.

And for what it's worth, everyone,...including the coaches here and all over the NFL...were touting this kid as the best DE to come out of college in a lifetime. He has proven to be nothing of the kind.

He is good, but not as good as advertised, not even close. And I don't really want to hear the "He's a rookie" argument. He was advertised as something he has not proven to be.

Is he good? Yes!

Does he have potential? If he learns something other than a bull rush.

Have I watched as many games as I said...yup, the end of 2 prime time games! But I can read a stat line? You better believe I can and Young's 4 tackles in 2 games against suspect offensive lines is not too impressive.

Kind of an obnoxious post El.

If you aren’t watching the game, you aren’t qualified to have a legitimate opinion. Stats are stats and that’s all they are.

The NFL awarded Young DROY honors. I don’t think that was based on just hype or being overrated.

Im on record as believing we should have taken Justin Herbert. But hinting Young is a bust or wasn’t worthy of a #2 pick because he’s started slow in his 2nd season is weak. Yeah - I know, you said all of his success last year was against inferior opposition.

Did you watch all the games last year or are you just going by ‘stats’?

Some of us do watch every snap - and those are the guys opinions I care about.

Stop trying to turn this into something else. It's not about me, it's about Chase Young being over rated...a discussion you and I had before he was ever drafted. At this point, with word coming out about your 1st round LB pick being a tad slow to the NFL game, Isaiah Simmons would have been a better pick last year since Young has not transformed that DL like everyone said he would.

Over the course of last year and the year before, Young's senior year and rookie years, he has shown up big in meaningless games against weak opponents and disappeared in the big games against good tackles. You know it, I know it.

And for what it's worth, everyone,...including the coaches here and all over the NFL...were touting this kid as the best DE to come out of college in a lifetime. He has proven to be nothing of the kind.

He is good, but not as good as advertised, not even close. And I don't really want to hear the "He's a rookie" argument. He was advertised as something he has not proven to be.

Is he good? Yes!

Does he have potential? If he learns something other than a bull rush.

Have I watched as many games as I said...yup, the end of 2 prime time games! But I can read a stat line? You better believe I can and Young's 4 tackles in 2 games against suspect offensive lines is not too impressive.

The point was you threw out if anyone had watched film after you've publicly made a point to say you refuse to watch the team. It's an ironic argument and it destroys your credibility, when the only posting you do about the team is negative.

yes i've watched film (to the level that a fan can access via social media), and I've even stated on multiple platforms that he's underachieved. I can also look beyond a stat line and ask the legitimate question, how much is about his talent level, and how much is about scheme? He's had ample opportunities to rush the passer, and so far this season has come up short. His biggest 'flash' of this season he tackled the RB who didn't even have the ball.... but the book is not written on him. You yourself said that coaches all over the NFL raved about him. Those guys are MUCH more qualified to have an opinion than likely anyone on this board, myself included.

I also think it's unfair to argue against 'he's a rookie' because it's a unique circumstance with Covid and the restrictions.

To also say he disappears in big moments is wrong. His hit on Burrow changed the game. He also had a pretty important fumble recovery for a TD last year. He's made plays. He's also still very raw. There has to be a level of allowance for development. The build up may have been overhyped, but fans also need to stop judging players based on what social media writes about players. I've said since the day we drafted him that we need to pump the brakes on the hype train.

Probably knowing them! Happy for the kid though. He has a feel to him that makes it easy to like....unlike bud light

Anyone who watches the games knows that Chase is doubled most of the time and is still disruptive in the backfield. He's causing QBs to step in to sacks, he's causing plays to be rushed. He's extremely valuable to our D not only as a player but as a captain.

Our entire defensive culture has turned around and he's a huge part of why. News articles and media clips don't tell you anything except what they want to drive as a narrative.

The point was you threw out if anyone had watched film after you've publicly made a point to say you refuse to watch the team. It's an ironic argument and it destroys your credibility, when the only posting you do about the team is negative.

And once again, I have to repeat myself because people seem to have a difficult time with reading comprehension. First off, I have praised several players on WTF, Montez Sweat, Cole Holcomb, and Heinicke are a few of them...talk about focusing on the negative.

Yes, this season I have watched the end of 2 Ravens games solely because they were prime time games. Had less to do with the teams playing, as it did being prime time. I'd rather take my kids to a pumpkin patch, or take my son fishing, or something we won't be able to do in a couple months once the weather changes.

In regards to Chase Young, you are conflating a statement I made about football this season with my claims about Chase Young not living up to the hype, based on his past play.

I have repeatedly cited a body of evidence that is from last year with WTF and the year before at OSU...it's all we really have to work with at this point. There are 2 full seasons of tape to watch of him that don't include the 2 games from this year.

So, I only threw in the stats from this year because the Giants and the Chargers both have suspect offensive lines, yet he managed only 4 tackles in those 2 games...no sacks, no tackles for loss...a whopping 4 whole tackles.

What should be concerning about that fact is that he is actually pretty good in the run game. How do I know that? Because I have watched film on him...not whole games that are a waste of my Sundays at this point because I am too busy taking my kids outside.

You know they have game film available to casual fans these days, right?

Also...for anyone who actually thinks that Chase Young is double teamed every down, you're delusional!!! Is he double teamed? Of course, all DE's get double teamed at some point during games and Chase gets some doubles. But Chase Young does not get double teamed if the opposing team has a quality LT because the more film available on him, the more coaches realize they don't have to keep 2 men on him a lot.

FFS, the reason I don't switch teams to the Ravens is because a lot of their fans are insufferable homers! There are plenty of reasons not to like the WTF anymore, but f**k! I never thought of some of you as blind homers. It's like any level of criticism of your team or a player is like launching a torpedo at your house or something....then come the personal attacks.

You don't have to put up with the personal attacks if they bother you so much. There is a simple way to get away from them.

If you spent time here reading, or listening to our pods, you'd hear almost nothing but questioning what's going on with the DL in general, and Young specifically. There are no 'blind homers'. You've always liked being Nostradamus. You enjoy making predictions and/or going against conventional wisdom and then pointing out how right you were when they occasionally pan out :) This is just the latest one. Plenty of us here felt Young was overhyped last season (I personally don't even think he was our best pass rusher). And almost all of us are wondering whether he's just having a sophomore slump, whether he's struggling with the scheme, or whether he's just not as good as some believed him to be.

None of those are unique or startling ideas.

And once again, I have to repeat myself because people seem to have a difficult time with reading comprehension. First off, I have praised several players on WTF, Montez Sweat, Cole Holcomb, and Heinicke are a few of them...talk about focusing on the negative.

Yes, this season I have watched the end of 2 Ravens games solely because they were prime time games. Had less to do with the teams playing, as it did being prime time. I'd rather take my kids to a pumpkin patch, or take my son fishing, or something we won't be able to do in a couple months once the weather changes.

In regards to Chase Young, you are conflating a statement I made about football this season with my claims about Chase Young not living up to the hype, based on his past play.

I have repeatedly cited a body of evidence that is from last year with WTF and the year before at OSU...it's all we really have to work with at this point. There are 2 full seasons of tape to watch of him that don't include the 2 games from this year.

So, I only threw in the stats from this year because the Giants and the Chargers both have suspect offensive lines, yet he managed only 4 tackles in those 2 games...no sacks, no tackles for loss...a whopping 4 whole tackles.

What should be concerning about that fact is that he is actually pretty good in the run game. How do I know that? Because I have watched film on him...not whole games that are a waste of my Sundays at this point because I am too busy taking my kids outside.

You know they have game film available to casual fans these days, right?

Also...for anyone who actually thinks that Chase Young is double teamed every down, you're delusional!!! Is he double teamed? Of course, all DE's get double teamed at some point during games and Chase gets some doubles. But Chase Young does not get double teamed if the opposing team has a quality LT because the more film available on him, the more coaches realize they don't have to keep 2 men on him a lot.

FFS, the reason I don't switch teams to the Ravens is because a lot of their fans are insufferable homers! There are plenty of reasons not to like the WTF anymore, but f**k! I never thought of some of you as blind homers. It's like any level of criticism of your team or a player is like launching a torpedo at your house or something....then come the personal attacks.

well maybe you need to read your own tone to see how 'people' react to your rhetoric. El, your tone is condescending and targeted at times and I know for a fact I'm not the only one that reads it that way. Telling the world you hate the team and refuse to watch them or invest your time in them, then come at people about their opinions is going to 100% open you up to backlash, and honestly rightfully so. I simply pointed out the irony, and flat out hypocrisy that comes across when someone spends the majority of their time on the board, telling fans of the team why they shouldn't be fans of the team. You do you, if there is ANYTHING that most fans of this team, and EVERY active member of this board has done, it's always been supportive of people who have made the decision to not support the team anymore. I've never seen anyone say "good riddance."

I will also point out the level of hypocrisy in your post where you reference personal attacks a paragraph after you directly question my reading comprehension abilities.

And if you read my post with the interest of understanding, instead of the interest of responding, you would see that I have not once said Young has played well this year, or lived up to the expectations set. I've simply said that there the book is not written, and there is a ton of development that will likely happen. I said he was extremely raw, I've said it on multiple platforms, including on video in the podcast we recorded just last night where we talked about what was holding Young back, and why he wasn't living up to the expectations that were set.

Last edited:
So now that we've all made our positions and feelings clear, let's get back to some friendly football banter. :cheers:

Hell ya! The fans need all the good news they can give each other!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 8, Members: 0, Guests: 8)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.