• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

But then again Aaron Rodgers was drafted at #24, Dan Marino was drafted at #27, Ben Roethlisberger was drafted at #11 and Patrick Mahomes at #10.

Just because Washington doesn't have a top 5-7 pick doesn't mean the team can't come up with one of the better passers in the draft.

In 2017 the Bears took Mitch Trubisky at #2 overall while Mahomes went #10 and Deshaun Watson went #12.

At the time of the draft all of the chatter was over Trubisky and what he would do for the Bears.

The reality is he was a bust and all of the chatter SHOULD have been about Patrick and Deshaun.

That could happen this year to a more limited extent as well.

While Trevor Lawrence grades out higher from what I have seen than any qb since Andrew Luck, the other passers rated as top of the round prospects ALL come with some question marks that could hamper their NFL careers. None is a slam dunk.

So, I don't necessarily believe 4 or 5 quarterbacks will be taken in the first 5-10 picks. I think that's a pre-draft 'paradigm' for draftniks that believe coaches and GMs are going to pass up potential pro bowl left tackles, rushers and other skill players who grade higher and just close their eyes and pick a quarterback.

Very true, but it also all depends on who is there. Just because Aaron Rodgers was taken 24th and was successful does not mean that the next Aaron Rodgers will be there at 19. Draft trends are a terrible narrative imho because the same players don't enter the draft every season. Its also not random. It all comes down to the evaluation. Teams absolutely can get 'lucky,' that the right guy is available when their pick is up and that they have evaluated him correctly, but they should not get 'lucky' that their pick has ability. Now there is NO way the Patriots or anyone could see that Brady was going to become Brady, but that's a supreme outlier. The bigger point is that he evaluation is so difficult to truly master that more often than not the evaluation of the player is contradicted because of some unforeseen aspect of the player. We can all be critical about Snyder picking Haskins because the evaluators did not grade him that high, and neither did 14 other teams. The media had him pegged as the clear cut no. 2 QB in the draft. The problem was the pick was made by a poor evaluator despite what the good evaluators were saying.

It's no accident that KC traded UP for Mahomes
Baltimore traded UP for Lamar Jackson

I also don't think teams are out of touch with what other teams are thinking. They know what other teams are thinking so we think Seattle got lucky with Wilson, but in for all we truly know they had a 1st round grade on him but they also knew nobody else really had him on their radars til the 3rd... They also just paid Matt Flynn so they weren't going to draft Wilson in the 1st round. The fact that he made it not only to the 3rd, but to their pick, then they got lucky, but they likely always new he could play on some level....

I would prefer they just stick with football. Not sure what logic is driving this.

I think Washington would be wise to play down the cheerleader angle at this point given the lawsuits and alleged bad behavior of staff members in the past towards employees that are women, including the most visible like the cheerleaders.

Cheerleaders are not needed in pro sports. In college, cheerleaders are still doing cheerleader things such as LEADING CHEERS and doing flips and throws. It’s still an athletic and gymnastics type activity in college. But in pro sports cheerleaders are there for one thing, to sell sex. In the pros, it’s 100% about pretty women dancing and getting guys excited, but not about football. When was the last time you saw the Redskinettes or whatever they were called lately leading a cheer? You would probably have to go back to the Gibbs era. I think everyone understands that’s the current function of cheerleaders, but it’s more of a “don’t say it out loud” thing. The idea of a coed dance team is hilarious to me because now people will really say “who cares” because most of the eye candy is gone.

I’m not trying to be a prude. It’s just I don’t understand how pro teams can justify cheerleaders in this day and age when we all know what the teams are trying to sell. Not to mention, the scandal with the cheerleaders that went even beyond treating them as “eye candy” and took things to a whole new low. The Team specifically should steer clear of this completely.

A number of NFL teams have already eliminated their cheerleader squads.

Obviously, they're going for G-rated content now due the numerous scandals in the past. Less stripper-esque routines, more proper dance.

The Wizards already have a coed dance team. This is not unprecedented.

That said:

WTFWFT.jpg

Some things never change. :rolleyes:

Red Auerbach on why the Celtics never had cheerleaders under his watch:

Worst case scenario, the players are fooling around with the cheerleaders and their wives are pissed.
Best case scenario,no one's fooling around and the wives are still pissed.

With the climate Snyder has fostered plus today's cancel culture and hyper sensitivity added to things, there no place in the league for cheerleaders.

My daughter did 1 year of cheerleading (she was probably 12 at the time). She looked at me on the way home from the last game and said ‘Dad - why do the girls have to stand around and cheer why the boys get to play? This is lame’

That’s my girl. And God help you if you cross her.

fwiw

All signs point to the 17th game being played this season as well.

Torrey Smith has been a big time supporter of Heinicke since before he even played in the playoffs. He played with Heinicke in Carolina in 2019 and has always said that he's got 'it.'

for example, this is from Dec 18 before Heinicke even got called up

Last edited:
Apparently Tress Way's rep has gotten him recognized enough to be lyrics in hip hop

Torrey Smith has been a big time supporter of Heinicke since before he even played in the playoffs. He played with Heinicke in Carolina in 2019 and has always said that he's got 'it.'

for example, this is from Dec 18 before Heinicke even got called up

I sort of hope that, if we don't draft a young QB, Heinicke makes this roster. Fitzpatrick has not played a full 16 games since 2015 when he was the season long starter for the Jets, so chances are that whoever is in that #2 slot will get the chance to play at some point. I'd really like to see him in real action at least 4 or 5 more times so we'd really have a better feel for whether he's Matt Flynn or Joe Montana? Of course, it's possible he could win the job outright. I think they really would be wise to give him some more opportunities in live action before they move on to other potential long-term solutions.

I was listening to sports talk radio the other day, and they had a great conversation about 'pedigree bias' - basically talking about how even experienced NFL coaches and talent scouts tend to focus way to much on where guys were drafted and that it impacts beliefs and decisions about players throughout their NFL careers, even when all of the evidence seems to be that later draft picks or guys who were UDFAs are the better player. I don't want some other team discovering Heinicke really is that hidden gem he looked to be in a game and a quarter for us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.