• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Alternative theory: nothing feeds message board conversation like losing.

We lose to the Eagles on Sunday and this place will be hopping all week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who simply cares less about the Redskins and the NFL as a whole, this year? I just don't feel like investing so much energy and time getting all knotted up inside anymore. This league is becoming nothing I would seriously choose for my children to support, so why should I?
Nope. That was me about four years ago. My enthusiasm for pro football has never really returned. The corruption and spectacle is very difficult to bear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Some say make better helmets, some say go back to leather helmets, some say leather helmets are crazy. Or we could just do like the Australians' football, and play with no head-gear at all, yet whose collisions, and head-collisions specifically, are quite comparable to the brutal violence of the NFL.
I'm sure SkinnedAussie would be the expert on this one

Most of the hits in AFL are within the rules, so no further action is taken other than that by the umpires. Since the AFL have made the head sancrosanct, any contact to the head is now supposedly an offence (it depends who the player plays for, but that's for another time!).

Rugby League is another sport that full-on body-to-body contact is expected, and occasionally head contact is made. This often results in one or both players being knocked out, and removed from the game.

Helmets are rarely seen on an AFL / NRL field, as they are not required. Some AFL players do wear bicycle type helmets, but that's a personal thing and must be approved by the AFL.

It's not the helmet, as such, that causes the concussion; it's the brain rattling around inside the skull. As players tend to use their helmet as a weapon, they know the damage it can cause but if they were to do exactly the same thing sans helmet, I'd guarantee that they would come off second best! Also, it's because of the (illegal) use of the helmets that NFL players have trouble tackling. Look at the Australians who have played in the NFL. All know how to tackle without using a helmet, and when they are called to stop someone, they do so with a tackle. Is head contact made?

The video posted by Fear is how the game is now played. I can remember the days when that sort of contact was part of the game; now it's being wiped out because it's not pc and mother's don't want their sons getting hurt when they play AFL.

Am I the only one who simply cares less about the Redskins and the NFL as a whole, this year? I just don't feel like investing so much energy and time getting all knotted up inside anymore. This league is becoming nothing I would seriously choose for my children to support, so why should I?

El, I don't think it's you alone. This season I have noticed while doing Redskins Recon that I usually have to check five or six fan forums to get an acceptable number of comments-I try to get at least twenty if I can-and have even gone to Reddit or a team's FB page in my search. The most recent Eagles Recon was the most surprisingly difficult to ferret out substantive comments form what was an unusually sparse selection. Interest league-wide seems lower than usual and I think it, at least in part, connects to articles and comments I have seen relating to the sudden drop in NFL tv ratings.

I have not been a real big fan for a few years now. Not only NFL, but AFL and NRL. It has a lot to do with the powers-to-be changing everything so that the minority are happy. The AFL have been known to change rules on the fly, and then there's the corruption involving clubs, officials and the league itself.

The NRL has a level playing field in that the teams play each other twice in a season. The NFL teams know who they are playing well in advance. The AFL makes up a FIXture to suit it's own desires, whereas some teams play each other twice in a space of six weeks, but don't play a team for the only time near the end of the season. TBH, every team should play every other team once in the first 17 weeks, then play another team again, but not one they played twice the previous year. However, as the AFL wants to maintain the 'blockbusters' (and to make more of a profit for themselves), clubs like Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond play each other twice EVERY year. Also, they schedule teams like Collingwood to play a home game against an interstate club at a neutral ground. That's like the NFL scheduling Washington play a home game in California, then taking the gate for themselves.

Count me in as one who has lost some interest too. It started with mediocre skins play, then escalated with the wussification of the league in the name of safety, then grew worse with the salary cap penalty Bullshit, now culminating with what I see as the nfl taking on political stances and bringing that tripe to the game. My passion really took a hit.

There's no doubt interest in the NFL and their ratings are down. That's been true in every Presidential election year for the past 20 years. It's down a lot more this year because, well, do I really need to say? I think it's a combination of that, the hit the NFL took starting several years ago appearing to be apologists for/soft on domestic abuse, and now the National Anthem/Black Lives Matter stuff.

But things were pretty busy around here last November and December. We keep winning, suspect it'll be equally busy. Or as Om suggests, if we implode.

There's no doubt interest in the NFL and their ratings are down. That's been true in every Presidential election year for the past 20 years. It's down a lot more this year because, well, do I really need to say? I think it's a combination of that, the hit the NFL took starting several years ago appearing to be apologists for/soft on domestic abuse, and now the National Anthem/Black Lives Matter stuff.

But things were pretty busy around here last November and December. We keep winning, suspect it'll be equally busy. Or as Om suggests, if we implode.

If I may add one more that has been mentioned here but is cropping up as a major thread topic on almost every fan forum I visit-extreme anger and disgust with poor NFL officiating. It usually rates some mention on fan forums across the league but it's way more prevalent as a topic now that it has been in the past. Fans are getting thoroughly disgusted with it and I have seen the "loss of interest" theme based on it on several fan boards.

For purely selfish reasons, the last few years I've actually become more invested.

I'd had so long with a bad Redskins team that I have to admit my interest has waned. I'm a Cleveland Cavaliers fan too and suddenly once they drafted Lebron James they were relevant. My interest swung more in favour of the NBA I have to admit.

But then I got together with my now Wife and she tried to embrace my sports junkie habits. She doesn't get basketball, but football she loves. Her interest reinvigorated mine. Then the Skins drafted RGIII and had that amazing season, and then I found you guys here at BGO and I'm having the best time! Win or lose I'm back on the NFL and the Skins big time!

:D

I think the NFL has past the point on equilibrium and now is into the realm of diminishing returns due to oversaturation. The Thursday night games in it's infancy late in the season when college football was essentially over was a breath of fresh air for something to watch on Thursday. Starting last year the quality of the product by having a game every Thursday really decimated the product, when before it seemed the games were tallied up to produce good games with those either in the hunt or rivalry games now it's mainly games no one has interest in seeing unless they're fans of those particular teams. The games have become a debacle, it's just plain bad, you lose viewership that way, you don't gain it. The London games don't bother me so much, I enjoy a 9:30am kickoff regardless of whose playing, kind of when I get to watch MNC on Saturday mornings, its fun and different but again those games are on Sunday. It's rooted in our brains that Sunday is football. The NFL's aggressive attempt to dominate tv all week imo is hurting itself, the players don't want to play Thursday and hell if I know anyone who wants to watch it either.

Another thing, staying away from reasons already stated as I find validity in them all but for me is TACKLING, this is the worst era of tackling I've ever seen, it's atrocious and we could try to decipher whether players are trying to avoid injury, lack of practice, rule changes but there's almost no good tackling teams anymore. I'm not talking about big hits, I'm talking wrap the player up, take the right angle and stop the play. I know it has driven a few of my friends from watching at all anymore.

On a side note, Philly can eat a big fat dead decaying rhino phallus, HTTR !!!!

Both Cravens and Reed are out tomorrow.

I rode in the (ahem) late sixties, started with no helmet but finally warmed up to the idea after witnessing a car pull in front of one of my buddies, over the bars head first into the curb ....... was not pretty.

Soon discovered that they were actually beneficial beyond the safety thing, bugs to the face at '60' mph hurt like crazy.

'Course the helmet laws pretty much made us all conform, it even got so particular that handle bar grips had to be under a certain height above the compressed seat (limited ape hangers) and rear view mirrors were also mandated (a lot of dental mirrors got bolted to our choppers)

Would love to see our NFL guys get gear to limit the head injuries, sure hope that corporate influence (money mongering) doesn't inhibit that potential. The NFL would be 'stoopid'
not to invest in their most valuable asset and maintain best they can.

Don't know about other states, but the grip height law still applies. Can't be higher then your shoulders.... and whats wrong with dental mirrors ? I haven't actually looked at how an NFL helmet is constructed, but I think I'm going to. Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back......

I'm not feeling good about this past draft at all. No player drafted thus far is giving me any hope. Batting .000. It's early, but that's the vibe I'm having. Doctson might have been fool's gold with a bad Achilles.

The league did it to themselves catering to the casual football fans. Ratings are down because casual fans aren't as reliable and most of us don't waste an entire Sunday watching all the games anymore.

Also:

Real football fans know what is and what is not a catch. (even if the league forgot)

Real football fans notice when the refs blow calls (I. E. Holding calls) repeatedly for 3+ quarters and then miraculously get it right late in the game when a team fails to convert on 3rd down giving them 3 more chances.

Real football fans for the most part are tired of all the bs Roger Goodell has brought to the game. Just make it flag football already Roger, and all the teams can wear Power Ranger inspired outfits.

Tackling is worse but to a player about to get fined 50k for making a routine tackle like Josh Norman did a couple weeks ago, maybe it's better to just tell your coach later that you couldn't make the tackle without crashing into the guys helmet.

Josh Norman gets fined for the "bow and arrow" thing because obviously he was performing a violent act and wants to murder anyone in its sights. I guess it's now going to be like the guy who wears his gun belt buckle to the airport and gets arrested by tsa. Meanwhile Antonio Brown does his dance and its not interpreted that he wants to rape the next female that steps in front of him, lol. I guess it helps to be a Steeler.

The nfl is a joke, hell the HOF is too, they elect Marvin Harrison but Terrell Owen's is somehow not worthy. Imagine TO catching balls from Manning for 15 years.

I'm not feeling good about this past draft at all. No player drafted thus far is giving me any hope. Batting .000. It's early, but that's the vibe I'm having. Doctson might have been fool's gold with a bad Achilles.

Well, as others have pointed out, the Achilles injury occurred after Doctson was drafted. Can't lay blame on that pick (in terms of talent), that's just pure bad luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.