• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Damn straight. I will confess my awe for Belichick has grown - I hate that man, but he is a hell of a coach.

But what Gibbs did, without a freaking HOF QB under center, is just undeniable. And when you factor in the Replacements season....

This year' draft is not looking awesome. Especially compared to last year where we got four solid contributors right out of the gate.

That said, it's only been three games. The whole idea of a pipeline is that ideally you don't NEED your draft picks to jump in and be major contributors right away. They step up when the veteran in front of them retires or moves on, and then the draft pick behind them sits for awhile.

Hopefully guys like Fuller and Doctson will be ready to do that. If it takes a year or two that's not a bust.

I'm growing concerned about Doctson's lingering Achilles injury. Seems to smell vaguely like a bust.

I don't care that we are ok at the WR position and he doesn't need to contribute right away - a first round pick needs to show he can be impact in the first year, IMO.

The much bigger concern is that this is a serious long-term injury. It's the idea that if he doesn't produce year 1 it's somehow a blown pick that put him out on the field when he wasn't ready to begin with. I said that was a big stupid mistake at the time when everyone was clamor one for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm growing concerned about Doctson's lingering Achilles injury. Seems to smell vaguely like a bust.

I don't care that we are ok at the WR position and he doesn't need to contribute right away - a first round pick needs to show he can be impact in the first year, IMO.

Disagree. The only thing that concerns me is that it is an achilles inury. He did contribute already. Big play against Dallas. But Kirk failed. Doctson is legit. Hopefully injuries don't derail him.

Skins going to flush the Browns. The Beans lock of the week.

I'm torn though. I want Jay and Barry fired. I believe the Skins will always be bottom tier with those nepotism hires at the helm. By bottom tier, I don't neccesarily mean not able to make the playoffs, I mean never able to be a legit threat to win it all. Just noise in the league if you will, while the upper tier keeps keeping on.

So the question I posit is it better for the Skins to crash and burn now to get rid of the worst coaching staff in the NFL? The Skins will win games because they are loaded in certain areas. Best weapons in the league if you don't mind me saying so. Clam Crowder with the assist from Cravens is why we beat the Giants. It certainly wasn't the sorry coaching. Or the bad quarterbacking. So what say you BGO? Would you rather take our lumps now to cut bait with a sorry ass arena coach never was and one of the worst defensive coordinators in the HISTORY of the NFL, or keep barely squeaking out wins thanks to our talent and GM.

P.S. Cousins needs to improve. Not sold.

This is just...like...my opinion man...

Last edited:
Damn straight. I will confess my awe for Belichick has grown - I hate that man, but he is a hell of a coach.

But what Gibbs did, without a freaking HOF QB under center, is just undeniable. And when you factor in the Replacements season....

I have respect for BB too, but Coach Gibbs is in a category all to himself. He's not just a coach, but a leader of people. He knows that to be an effective leader you must also be a servant of sorts.

He has built Super Bowl winners. He has built championship NASCAR teams. He has built a solid family with morals and love.

Look at the sponsors he has in his corner: Interstate Batteries. Home Depot. Mars/Masterfoods (M&Ms, Pedigree, Snickers, Skittles, Doublemint). Coca-Cola. FedEx. Toyota. Comcast/Xfinity. Arris. Sports Clips. Reser's Fine Foods. Dollar General. Tide Detergent. Stanley Black & Decker. DeWalt. Subway Restaurants. Banfield Pet Hospitals. Kroger. Procter & Gamble. Lionel Racing. Nike (includes Jordan Brand). NOS Energy Drinks. Tunity. WinField. Juniper Networks. Gamestop. Hisense.

There are numerous other sponsors on a smaller scale, but think of all the relationships that Coach Gibbs has cultivated here. One of his main sponsors is FedEx and I don't believe in coincidences here. A certain stadium also has that same sponsor. Don't be surprised if the new stadium sponsor has a working relationship with Coach Gibbs as well. FedEx again?

You don't reach these levels by being just a coach (looking at you Jay Gruden). All of this speaks to the person as a true leader in every aspect of the word.

BB is an extraordinary football mind and coach. I do think he could succeed in another venue a la Coach Gibbs. He has those traits (maybe not the spiritual, but everything else as a leader).

The most we can hope for with Jay Gruden is that he becomes a Tom Coughlin, Hank Stram, Tom Flores, Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher, etc.

These are the differences between a leader and a coach. We were fortunate enough to have a leader as head coach for more than a decade. Let's hope it happens again in the future.

Well, Boone, I can understand how coaches and fans alike are confused at the fact it has taken Doctson 3 and a half months to recover from what has been described as an Achilles strain.

He hasn't had any surgeries or gone for any second opinions which would seem to indicate he has a long-term issue which requires a future medical procedure or set of procedures.

When Gruden came out in his press conference and indicated there was a difference between being injured and being 'hurt' in regards to Doctson, it seemed a not so subtle shot across the bow of the young receiver.

Michael Westbrook had a reputation during his career here of being a guy who had to be 100% to green light taking the field.

The slightest strain or tweak or pull caused Westbrook to hit the tub for weeks.

The concern is that Doctson is not physically tough enough to be able to perform on the field at slightly less than 100%, which is a requirement for an NFL career.

You look at Michael Thomas or some other receivers that were in the draft and taken lower who have transitioned well to the NFL and wonder if Doctson is simply a great athlete who is not a great football player.

And those are the kinds of comments that people who have no medical education make (that's not directed at you Bulldog). It's a tendon - not a muscle or a bone. Tendons are made up of long fibers that lie in parallel to each other. A 'strain' or 'sprain' almost always means a tear of some kind, either at the micro level, or potentially greater. Tendon damage/partial tears can heal, but they take longer and the strength of the 'healing' is not guaranteed.

It's quite possible that this is a more serious injury than previously believed.

There's no legitimate basis for a 'toughness' argument. You literally, without complete integrity of an achilles, can't run, cut, or push off. 'Want' has nothing to do with it. And I'm struggling to understand what would possibly motivate an NFL rookie to NOT want to be out there establishing his career?

The more likely truth is that the team has and is pressuring Doctson to play (probably has already and unwisely pressured him to play - which has already put him at risk and had a detrimental effect on the achilles for little to no purpose). This is the stupidest course the team could take. If Doctson goes out there and has a complete tear because he was not given adequate time to fully heal, he may never be the same player ever again. You drafted this guy to be a #1 WR for a decade. Pushing him to play on an obviously damaged achilles in his rookie season - sorry - but that's just plain idiotic.

I'm starting to believe this was a dumb pick. A WR with an achilles problem should probably never be a 1st round pick, no matter how good he was in college.

Last edited:
Dayum, I didn't know he had an achilles problem in college.
In that case, it really was a wasted pick.

He had a wrist problem in college, no big deal. I may be wrong about the achilles being an issue pre-draft. Looking at that. It's not really relevant other than that if he can't get past it, it'll just add fuel to the fire. Most important thing is how the injury is handled now and the rest of this year.

Looks like I was wrong, it was a May injury - so nothing the team could've forseen there. He really never had an injury issue other than missing his final 3 games at TCU with a wrist injury.

That also negates the 'toughness' concerns in my mind. Which makes the achilles issue more troubling - because if he's not out there, it likely means he is significantly hurt. That or he has an agent who is smarter than our coaching staff and is looking out for Doctson for the long haul, not just to win 3 or 4 more games in his rookie season in order to keep a job.

Last edited:
They had no problem shelving Spaight for the rest of the season last year over a concussion and other players,with seemingly minor injuries, are getting the hook for the season.

Why the persistence to keep Doctson up when:

1. We have a pretty good group of WRs to begin with and

2. It's probably in the player's and the club's best interest to put him on IR and get him right for next year ?

Who's trying to save face here?

I'm starting to believe this was a dumb pick. A WR with an achilles problem should probably never be a 1st round pick, no matter how good he was in college.

Was Doctson's injury known to be an issue before the draft? I didn't pay attention since i didn't think he was even on our radar screen.

Doctson was drafted in April. He injured his achilles thirty days later. He had never suffered an achilles injury prior to that.

His combine performance was amazing:

On a day when a lot of wide receivers disappointed with slow runs, Doctson delivered a 4.50 official 40-yard dash time. Even better, his lower-body explosion numbers were nearly off-the-chart: a 41-inch vertical jump and 131-inch broad jump were first- and second-best among receivers, respectively, and second- and third-best out of all players tested through the first two days.

Josh Doctson Turns Heads with Explosive NFL Combine Performance | Bleacher Report

This isn't a MK deal where there was any cause for concern when we drafted him.

I believe they are keeping him active for two reasons:

1. As a safety precaution. Safety, in case we suffer multiple injuries like we did in our secondary last weekend. If there really is a chance that he can get right in two weeks, you don't want to shut him down this early.

2. Frankly, we don't need the roster spot. If we have more injuries that may change.

The real discussion to be had is how we should be managing an injury to arguably the most valuable asset we've added to the roster this year. Other than need vs. BPA I don't think anyone questions whether he was a first round talent. If the Achilles injury happens ore-draft you absolutely reconsider however. This is not a hammy or even an ACL. Achilles injury is a much dicier proposition if it's a serious injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, Coach Loser has said that there is nothing visibly wrong with the Achilles. I take that to mean nothing shows up on any xray/mri/etc... And that it was an issue with the player experiencing pain. And that there is nothing they can see which would cause this pain. A CLEAR shot across the bow.

Now, you may get me to believe Loser would be stupid enough to try and force an injured player to risk a season by playing when he shouldn't. But I'm not ready to put McCloo there, yet.

I'm going to be pissed if I find out that they haven't had a second, or even a third opinion yet.

With that said, as Diesel mentioned earlier, this staff has always played it safe with players before. I doubt that we have to worry about another Shanny/RG3 situation here.

If I had to guess, we'll suffer another injury somewhere else and he'll be on IR in the next two weeks.

In the meantime, they probably like him close to the park and they are hopeful that he gets better.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.