• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Alfred looked slow and tentative. Could be his style simply doesn't fit the scheme, but that's not what my eyes told me. And I don't buy the excuse he needs more reps to get into the flow. Never heard that before with any of the great backs. I just find that to be a terrible excuse. What he needs is good vision and quick decision making. I didn't see that at all from him last year. As to Grudens effectiveness as a run schemer, I have no idea. The running game started well at first and went south after a few games due to injury.

I think Doctson has a really good chance to contribute in Year 1.

He seems like a mature young man and not at all the diva that so many of the receivers coming out of school are. These guys usually take 2-3 years to learn that athletic ability alone may keep them on the roster but it is not going to get them to an elite level and a really big payday.

Marshall is also interesting because it is rare to find a player with his size and speed that lasts until the seventh round.

Usually, a guy who runs a 4.31 in college lasts until late in the draft because he is 5'8 and and 175 and there are questions about whether his game can translate to the next level.

Marshall has had durability issues but he is a reasonable risk for the Redskins where he was taken.

Marshall looks great BT. Not only is he fast, but he has great moves too.

I've seen players "break ankles" on a basketball court before, but he actually breaks ankles on a football field. That's very rare.

He also appears to have very good hands.

Alfred looked slow and tentative. Could be his style simply doesn't fit the scheme, but that's not what my eyes told me. And I don't buy the excuse he needs more reps to get into the flow. Never heard that before with any of the great backs. I just find that to be a terrible excuse. What he needs is good vision and quick decision making. I didn't see that at all from him last year. As to Grudens effectiveness as a run schemer, I have no idea. The running game started well at first and went south after a few games due to injury.
Funny, I seem to remember damn near every RB that played saying they got into a rhythm with more touches. And, statistically speaking, Alfred did do better when he had more carries. (Yes I already know many factors contribute to such stats)

I think the scheme change was the biggest part for Alfred to overcome. I think that uncertainty, combined with being yanked every 3 carries, made it look worse than it might have been.

And again, last 4 games, when it counted, when given more, yet still too few carries, Alfred put up an "Old Alfred" like, 4.6 YPC.

Anyway, enough about him. He's a cowboy now. I wish him, and every other member of that team, professional failure and frustration.

Jay had a better 2nd year, than his 1st. Looking forward to his 3rd being even better. in every way.

To me one of the most important areas for improvement in the run game has be short yardage and goal line.

We now have bigger linemen who have the size and strength to win the battles in the trenches. In years past third and goal at the two almost always meant having to throw the football.

Hopefully now we can run the ball in from there and do much better in converting short yardage downs to keep drives going.

Again, this is not a Jones v. Morris argument so you and Ax can save that fight for someone else...this is about a RB that has demonstrably regressed in his last 2 season. You blame coaching, fine...I suggest it is a RB who has simply been battered in his 4 seasons in the NFL, and that has affected his ability on the field.

The only reason anyone is comparing Morris to Jones is because they were both on the team last year, both played in the same scheme, both had limited carries. So if the problem was Morris, then Jones, a guy who has clearly not had too many carries in his career, would look significantly better.

He didn't. In fact, he was less productive. He had a lower ypc, more fumbles, made more mental mistakes and was less durable.

Jones' production, therefore, does not support the argument that Morris was the reason the running game stunk. If it were Morris and only Morris, Jones would have looked better. One would think.

Of course, this has all been covered before. Maybe JONES will play better with more carries. Maybe it would help him get into groove if he knows he's going to get the bulk of the carries every week. Or maybe we won't do that and Jones will randomly get a third of the carries, Thompson a third and this new guy the rest. And then, I suspect, we can have this discussion again next offseason.

I think Doctson has a really good chance to contribute in Year 1.

He seems like a mature young man and not at all the diva that so many of the receivers coming out of school are. These guys usually take 2-3 years to learn that athletic ability alone may keep them on the roster but it is not going to get them to an elite level and a really big payday.

Check out this article/vid on Doctson. Looks like he's been putting in some serious work in the offseason already. Loving it.

LOOK: Once Labeled 'Too Skinny,' NFL Wide Receiver Josh Doctson Now Has The Jacked Arms of a Linebacker | STACK

Thanks for posting that article.

I really wanted a top D-lineman badly in round 1, but Doctson looks fantastic. He seems to have it all. Speed, video game leaping ability, great hands and a professional work ethic.

The offense seems to have all the tools to really take off this year. Continuity up front, a QB with a full offseason of starter's reps, continuity in the WR corps, addition of a top prospect at WR, additional depth at TE, and an addition at RB. I still think we may add a veteran RB at some point in camp, but the offense looks set. No reason for Kirk not to have another good year.

Ax already told you this wasn't simply a Jones vs Morris argument. They just happened to be the participants last season. This is about a coach who appears to struggle, at the very least, incorporating an organized, effective running attack on gameday. Regardless of the backs involved.

Now you're letting your inner liberal democrat loose. Nobody's trying to put Alfred in the HOF. We just haven't ordered a Fathead of Gruden's fat ass, yet.
What did that cost, BTW. :)

Sarcasm noted. But, for the record, Ax is on file supporting the continued employment of said, Gruden.

Well, you said you did "know" there had to be someone there worth taking. Clearly questioning whether Scot did. But, nice try.

What's next, you'll say your plane landed under enemy gunfire? ***sarcasm alert***

Haha! You ***hat! I can agree to disagree, because we could both go at it for about 3-6 more rounds. The only thing I will touch upon since you guys keep bringing up Morris...when he cam into some of the first few games, he would break off a 12-15 yard run on his first or 2nd carry...no "rhythm".

I don't recall saying I "know"...pretty sure I said, "I have to believe." Again, deferring to the better qualified.

Haha! You ***hat! I can agree to disagree, because we could both go at it for about 3-6 more rounds. The only thing I will touch upon since you guys keep bringing up Morris...when he cam into some of the first few games, he would break off a 12-15 yard run on his first or 2nd carry...no "rhythm".

I don't recall saying I "know"...pretty sure I said, "I have to believe." Again, deferring to the better qualified.
I knew you'd "Like That!" :)

I have seen a story alert pop up on my phone:

Insider Buzz: Redskins Have Had No Contract Extension Talks with Jackson, Garcon

It seems like they are already starting to stir up some kind of controversy. Of course their are not talks, we have to see how they play this year. If Desean is injured another half a season, they will have to negotiate a contract. Same with Garcon if he doesnt perform well.

Im sure when we win the East again (at the least) they will want to stay then take their chances running to another team that doesnt even see the playoffs.

No offense to either player, but at age 30 neither is a $10M guy going forward.

Garcon is a possession receiver.

Jackson is valuable as long as he maintains his 4.3 speed.

Scot though doesn't have a history of giving contracts to 30 plus guys

quick cut.JPG

Attachments

• quick cut.JPG
    quick cut.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 151
No offense to either player, but at age 30 neither is a $10M guy going forward.

Garcon is a possession receiver.

Jackson is valuable as long as he maintains his 4.3 speed.

Scot though doesn't have a history of giving contracts to 30 plus guys

Yeah, I'm not surprised they haven't tried anything with either player. I don't think Garcon is back next year, unless he wants to play for about half what he is making now. I could see them bringing Jackson back just because his speed is something you can't find often, but he'll start to slow down over the coming years. The Skins have no reason to rush a deal with either guy, especially if Doctson looks the part.

What Garcon brings is toughness and consistency. He shows up and plays hard as well as through injuries. He's also an excellent blocker.

That's worth $3.5-$4M a year.

Scuttlebutt, deal for Kirk 'is going nicely'

Heard on espn980 relaying info from tweet by someone who I didn't recognize.

FWIW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.