• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Anybody see JP Finlay on twitter admonishing fans for talking about how basically the Redskins were the only team that actually pushed the Bucs this postseason?
I sure hope he's not going down the same road as Loverro and Jason Reid.
BTW, I don't think fans are celebrating a WC loss as Finlay suggests.
IMO, fans are encouraged that a team dealing with injuries and holes and on their 4th Qb could put up a good fight against a Brady led team.That with the right moves in free agency and the draft, this team could get better and might even become a fringe contender.

Don't know why the DC Media feels like they should drop the hammer on the fan base the moment they perceive any ray of positive light when it comes to this team?
Guess they consider themselves the arbiter of "keeping it real".....lol

Yeah, I saw it... wasn't really a fan.

I think there absolutely is something to be said for the fact that we were in a game with the eventual Super Bowl champions given the circumstances. It would be a different conversation if we got blown out and played against a prevent defense to 'tighten' it up, but that's not the case. It was a 3 point game to start the 4th quarter. I absolutely think we can be encouraged by the way we played and take an honest look at what that means going forward.

I'm not anointing us honorary SB champions by any stretch, and I think that's the contention of JP... that we still lost and at the end of the day that's all that truly matters....

Anybody see JP Finlay on twitter admonishing fans for talking about how basically the Redskins were the only team that actually pushed the Bucs this postseason?
BTW, I don't think fans are celebrating a WC loss as Finlay suggests.
IMO, fans are encouraged that a team dealing with injuries and holes and on their 4th Qb could put up a good fight against a Brady led team.That with the right moves in free agency and the draft, this team could get better and might even become a fringe contender.

Don't know why the DC Media feels like they should drop the hammer on the fan base the moment they perceive any ray of positive light when it comes to this team?
Guess they consider themselves the arbiter of "keeping it real".....lol

I cannot agree with you more on this DieselPwr44 . As far as Finlay himself, I generally like him a lot. He's hardworking and a good writer. However, he is not above putting clickbait out there on occasion. I don't know if that's because it's a prime directive from his employers, or that's just who he is and maybe he doesn't recognize when he is drifting into that kind of low-life journalism. I also agree with you on the timing. Good lord - it's the Super Bowl and the takeaway from that is that Washington fans are delusional and need to realize our team is still bad and nowhere near being able to reach the heights like TB did this year?

If you are a good sports journalist and recognize your readership, a much better angle is that WFT fans should be encouraged by the fact that they competed well against the eventual Super Bowl champs. It means nothing in terms of the idiotic 'the fact that we almost beat the Bucs means we could've made it to the Super Bowl' argument. We all realize it's a week-by-week league and wins/losses are driven by weekly matchups and gameplans. It's why projecting the best and worst teams for the coming season rarely works out very well. Why not write a story that focuses on similarities between the Bucs rise and Washington's improvement. Like the Bucs, Washington upgraded it's coaching staff. They are in the process of building a dominant defense. And if they can find a very good QB (doesn't have to be the next Tom Brady), maybe the future is brighter sooner than we think.

Why not write THAT story?

It does feel like Finlay (and that particular outlet in general) is, at times, chomping at the bit to write something uber-negative about this team. I know our owner is rightfully and universally despised. But I think these guys often forget who their customers are and what kinds of things they want to read. Unfortunately, there is actually a significant portion of fans who lap this stuff up as 'the truth' and 'keeping it real'. Great post DP and I couldn't agree more.

BTW, I don't think fans are celebrating a WC loss as Finlay suggests....
Yeah, I saw that too. What a loser. I haven't seen anyone "celebrating." It's an interesting sidenote - and there is nothing wrong with pointing it out. Not bad for a young team, hanging in there while starting a qb off the street. But it's nothing fans are going nuts over.

In fact - even if there were some random fans who were "celebrating" -- who anointed JP as the FAN POLICE? Should all fans have to run their reactions to random events by JP first before they are allowed to share what's on their mind??

he's been getting slapped around on twitter lol

He also has a radio show to promote now so it was always likely he walked it back a little bit.

That was my exact point - it’s a suckers choice arguments. Finlay needs to watch that as he tends to do it more often than he should. Honestly, he’s smarter than that.

someone put the QB stats up for the QBs against the Bucs defense...I most certainly sent them to all my friends telling them "watch out, Hieneke is the new Brady!" for a good laugh.

we had a legit shot in that game if we had all of our people healthy and didn't make a few key mistakes.

don't get me wrong; I do not think we make it to the super bowl or win it all. But, I do have big hopes for next year.

Bucs players responding to Hieneke being signed...

VERY respectful and acting like they think he is a good player. When Devin White says he respects you, that means something.

If Heinicke had been a #1 draft choice in 2015 but bounced around due to injuries and limited size at 5'11 or so the NFL and local media would be much more positive about him, because they would feel safe that 'someone' in a GM role saw something in Taylor that is only now being realized due to unusual circumstances.

The truth is reporters for the most part are no more knowledgeable than fans. They usually go with the front-running or 'conventional' logic to avoid looking like fools if they are wrong.

So again if a guy was a #1 pick who had failed elsewhere reporters would feel safe complimenting him and talking about his future because someone in the NFL at one time vouched for the player in the draft and his potential. They are not out on the ledge by themselves.

I don't know if Heinicke is durable enough to be a starter in the NFL at his size, but he has a stronger arm and is more athletic than anyone else on the roster despite the fact Smith is 6'5 and Allen is 6'3. And most importantly he seems to be able to read the field and process what he sees quickly.

That is going to get you a lot farther than a 'chucker' like Haskins who has a strong arm but very low football IQ and seems to lack the instincts to play the position at this level.

The ugly truth is that in his starts we almost never saw the deep arm, in part because Dwayne didn't see guys wide open 20-30 yards downfield as he saw rushers and looked to check it down.

Knowing Jon Gruden and his having perhaps the lowest rated of the big-name quarterbacks that MAY be available in Carr, my guess is he will ask for the moon :p :p

When all is said and done teams would probably only have to offer a an extra pick to get Watson :eek:

I’ve said it before that Fitzpatrick is the best short term QB solution. But if Smith stays, there is no need for him. You have that role filled.

I think at this point it might be easier to start listing QBs the team hasn’t been linked to. Various media members have linked the Team to pretty much every QB available and some not available. One of them will be right, unless the Team stands pat and goes with what they have.

I mean, I really like Fitzmagic - but he’s going to be 39 this year. I just don’t know if we can get more than a season or two out of him. Does that really help us? Guarantee you if he’s our QB we are a playoff team meaning we won’t be in position to draft our long-term QB while he plays for us. So where does that guy come from?

I guess I’d rather we take a chance in a guy like Mariota for a mid-round pick if we can get him because he’s someone that might develop into a long term starter and we aren’t just kicking the can down the road for another couple years.

I mean, I really like Fitzmagic - but he’s going to be 39 this year. I just don’t know if we can get more than a season or two out of him. Does that really help us? Guarantee you if he’s our QB we are a playoff team meaning we won’t be in position to draft our long-term QB while he plays for us. So where does that guy come from?

I guess I’d rather we take a chance in a guy like Mariota for a mid-round pick if we can get him because he’s someone that might develop into a long term starter and we aren’t just kicking the can down the road for another couple years.

Fitz would be a bridge guy to bring in with the idea that he gives you a shot at making a run in 2021.

I dont' want Mariota because of his cap number...

This is the part that scares me:

Let's break it down...

Should Mariota play over 60 percent of snaps in 12 games next season, the quarterback will earn an additional $7.85 million. For each victory Mariota leads his team to, he will earn an extra $156,250 with maximum win earnings of $1.8 million.

Then, if Mariota leads his team to the playoffs, there are even more incentives. The 27-year-old will earn $250,000 for every postseason win, $1 million for making the Super Bowl and $2 million for winning the title.

For Washington, those postseason incentives are not worth worrying about when considering trading for Mariota. If the quarterback led his team to the Super Bowl, any extra money earned by the QB is more than justified and worth it.

But, what happens if Washington trades for Mariota and then he doesn't succeed?

If Mariota wins seven games for Washington in 2021 (the same number of victories Washington had in 2020), the quarterback would make an additional $1.09 million, plus the $7.5 million he'll earn by playing more than 60 percent of snaps in 12 or more games.

So, if you traded for him, you have to account for him and operate under that contract [that] he's going to be $20 million...Washington was interested, I don't think they are interested anymore.

The $10 mil base is one thing, but he could play 60% of the snaps and not be good, and with this defense we still make the playoffs... and it may have nothing to do with Mariota's play...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.