• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

We have been linked to Watson A LOT

Most of what I've heard can be written off to "well they're looking at EVERY team that has a need at QB"

This is a little bit different. Jordan is not directly connected to the team, but he's had some good info quite a bit so I tend to believe there is a level of fire behind this smoke.

EDIT:

Looks like it was first reported by ESPN.

Last edited:
The question then becomes... Who would we give up to get him.

McLaurin is off limits in my mind, why get an elite QB if you have no elite WR to throw to.
Young is also off limits.
I'd like to keep Sweat too, I want that Young/Sweat pairing for a while... But, could he be traded and we resign Kerrigan in the short term? He had a light year last year, still produces and wants to be a starter...

I'm not sure Gibson or Curl are high profile enough to entice a trade.

Daron Payne?

I think, if some crazy deal were to go down, it would likely involve almost exclusively future draft picks. I'm not a fan of going this route, but I do know the difference a real talent at QB could make, so I guess if it were to go down, I'll just suck it up and hope for the best. I don't think Rivera is the kind of coach for whom this kind of move would be attractive, but hey, with Riverboat you can never be 100% sure.

If they were to do a crazy deal for Watson, I'd prefer we take our medicine all at once. They get our 2021 draft picks ... lol. I'm definitely not a fan of what we did to move up and take Griffin where you rob yourself of impact picks for years and years. I think it's taken the better part of a decade for us to recover from that move. And, had we not lucked into also drafting Kirk Cousins that same year, I think the impact of blowing the RG3 pick and all we gave up to get him, could've been much much uglier.

I get that Watson is not Griffin and that he's a known quantity. I'll raise the point again though - why is he unhappy? I already know the answer and for me, that's a deal breaker. We don't need a diva at QB in DC.

We find ourselves on the outside looking in as far as the "real" reason Watson may be disgruntled. I suspect we're not unlike Vikings fans were when they were trying to grab Kirk Cousins away from us ... they hadn't lived with it like we did. They hadn't parsed every on- and off-field detail of the man's career like we had. They didn't "know" like we did. No one here is surprised Kirk scored the big contract, went to a legit Super Bowl contender, and then was ... Kirk. We knew. They didn't.

I have not followed Houston or Watson anywhere near enough to feel I can offer an informed opinion on whether he'd be worth the risk/investment it would take. But I'm gonna do some boots-on-the-ground research:

Texan's Board thread "Should we trade Watson?"

I've been talking for 20 years about the need for us to land a legit franchise QB, and that hasn't changed. If he's truly a top 5 or even top 10 NFL QB, still healthy, and NOT a headcase, then I'd be all about taking our shot to land him. Some day we will actually stumble into a guy who will finally be the rising tide. Until we do, we're just treading water.

I hope I'm still young enough to enjoy it when it happens.

I am pretty tired of overpaying for free agents who don't pan out the way we expect them to.

I am quite happy with Taylor and Allen trying to see how the get the season going. They both showed promise, especially Taylor.

Reading the link Om posted: I watched them push Andre Johnson out, Arian Foster, DeAndre Hopkins, waste JJ's career and make stupid decision after stupid decision. If they throw away the franchise QB we have waited 20 years for I will be done.

The rumor is Watson could garner 3 first round picks plus a player or other day 1 or day 2 pick.... or even more than that depending on how the bidding goes.

I don't like the idea of giving up that much.. YES I want him on my team. YES a 25 year old franchise QB that is under contract for more than 1 season is invaluable. He checks EVERY box, but giving up 3 years first round picks for a single player is dicey. Injuries happen (we've had 3 QBs break their leg on our home field in the last 3 seasons). Not to start the debate of our field vs injuries, but more to point out that anything can happen to anyone at any time. Investing THAT much of our future in a single player, regardless of who they are, or how good they are, is a dangerous proposition.

2 firsts plus some other stuff and I would think long and hard about it, but even that makes me uneasy.

Last edited:
All valid concerns/points, ST. No question it'd be a risk to invest what it would surely take to get the kid. We'd all have our own line in the sand about the cost in picks/money, but I suspect we would all agree that every time he took off running or got sacked for the rest of his career our PFI (pucker-factor-index) would spike.

The rumor is Watson could garner 3 first round picks plus a player or other day 1 or day 2 pick.... or even more than that depending on how the bidding goes.

I don't like the idea of giving up that much.. YES I want him on my team. YES a 25 year old franchise QB that is under contract for more than 1 season is invaluable. He checks EVERY box, but giving up 3 years first round picks for a single player is dicey. Injuries happen (we've had 3 QBs break their leg on our home field in the last 3 seasons). Not to start the debate of our field vs injuries, but more to point out that anything can happen to anyone at any time. Investing THAT much of our future in a single player, regardless of who they are, or how good they are, is a dangerous proposition.

2 firsts plus some other stuff and I would think long and hard about it, but even that makes me uneasy.
If he lands in a bad situation, he'll just be sandwiched into obscurity like Jay Cutler and be forgotten.

Watson has a no-trade clause, however, so he has the power to decide where he wants to go. I don't think he'd want to be here.

If he lands in a bad situation, he'll just be sandwiched into obscurity like Jay Cutler and be forgotten.

Watson has a no-trade clause, however, so he has the power to decide where he wants to go. I don't think he'd want to be here.

why not?

Young team primarily at playmaker with McLaurin and Gibson
Young defense that's on its way to being playoff ready and going to continue to develop
Young team coming off playoff experience
Head Coach with 4 more years left on his contract
Owner that's willing to spend money
Weak defensive division compared to say New England that plays Buffalo twice a year
Top 6 team in regards to Salary Cap
Offensive scheme that promotes down field passing if it has a QB that's capable

There are A LOT worse places to go.

With the cap going down, a lot of QB needy teams are going to be cutting ties with a lot of bit name players to make room. To then have to make MORE room to add Watson, most 'desirable' places likely are going to be completely void of talent.

I think, if some crazy deal were to go down, it would likely involve almost exclusively future draft picks. I'm not a fan of going this route, but I do know the difference a real talent at QB could make, so I guess if it were to go down, I'll just suck it up and hope for the best. I don't think Rivera is the kind of coach for whom this kind of move would be attractive, but hey, with Riverboat you can never be 100% sure.

If they were to do a crazy deal for Watson, I'd prefer we take our medicine all at once. They get our 2021 draft picks ... lol. I'm definitely not a fan of what we did to move up and take Griffin where you rob yourself of impact picks for years and years. I think it's taken the better part of a decade for us to recover from that move. And, had we not lucked into also drafting Kirk Cousins that same year, I think the impact of blowing the RG3 pick and all we gave up to get him, could've been much much uglier.

I get that Watson is not Griffin and that he's a known quantity. I'll raise the point again though - why is he unhappy? I already know the answer and for me, that's a deal breaker. We don't need a diva at QB in DC.
Boone your last sentence sums it up perfectly for me . We def don't need a diva QB in DC!!! I don't care how good he is. When a player ,any player for that matter feels slighted because he wasn't involved in front office discussions to me is a huge red flag. There are plenty of real good options out there for us to find our next QB .Ron is trying to install a TEAM FIRST mentality and it seems to me the young man is more about himself . I don't know him and I could be wrong but can't ignore the red flag

I wasn't responding to anything particular when typing up the following, but new posts have popped up since.

If Deshaun were a strategic man, he'd aim for a soft division with one frontrunner and a lot of uncertainty in rival team's QB situations. Division-wise, the NFC South has the brightest long-term future prospects since Brady won't last forever and Brees and Ryan are both likely on their way out. He could make one of the teams in that division sole king of the division for YEARS.

I wasn't responding to anything particular when typing up the following, but new posts have popped up since.

If Deshaun were a strategic man, he'd aim for a soft division with one frontrunner and a lot of uncertainty in rival team's QB situations. Division-wise, the NFC South has the brightest long-term future prospects since Brady won't last forever and Brees and Ryan are both likely on their way out. He could make one of the teams in that division sole king of the division for YEARS.

if that's not the NFC East I dont know what is.

why not?

Young team primarily at playmaker with McLaurin and Gibson
Young defense that's on its way to being playoff ready and going to continue to develop
Young team coming off playoff experience
Head Coach with 4 more years left on his contract
Owner that's willing to spend money
Weak defensive division compared to say New England that plays Buffalo twice a year
Top 6 team in regards to Salary Cap
Offensive scheme that promotes down field passing if it has a QB that's capable

There are A LOT worse places to go.

With the cap going down, a lot of QB needy teams are going to be cutting ties with a lot of bit name players to make room. To then have to make MORE room to add Watson, most 'desirable' places likely are going to be completely void of talent.
If I'm a player, I'm going to take a hard look both at the "soft" abilities and the "hard" abilities of the people in charge. Do they have a culture. But are they also competent in the X's and O's? I don't think we're in the frontrunner for the X' and O's. Rivera is a motivator, great guy, great culture, but I've never seen him lauded as a fearsome monster to deal with tactically like a Dick Labeau.

Our O-line is still shaky, and while we have Terry, and Logan Thomas, the guys below him might not even be Will Fuller good. Gibson looks great.

Rivals-wise, the QB position is more established in the NFC East since Dak is okay, Wentz could rebound, and Jones can develop further.

We really don't have that high end LT. Deshaun will be looking for one because his former LT got traded away.

There's also the shadow of Dan Snyder's incompetence. Rivera could very well be short, transient thing.

The problem clearly is that what it would take to land Watson is going to seriously hamper your ability to build around him. Yeah, we'll still have some picks and free agency money. I didn't say it would wreck the franchise. But let's not kid ourselves that we are going to pay the cost for Watson AND build a formidable OL to protect him with a bevy of top tier offensive weapons.

it arrived!

1611862801260.png

Right?!

a friend of my wife's won it on a radio raffle and was like "hey, you like the Redskins right? I dont know who this is anyways, so do you want it?"

yes...yes, I do. this bad boy is going right in to the theater/bar!

My guess at compensation for Watson:

2021 #1 pick, 2022 #1 pick, 2021 #2 pick, DT Jonathan Allen.

Things are getting crazy enough though that the 2023 pick could be in play as well.

The one advantage Washington has it that we have several younger recent #1 picks who have shown they are legit NFL performers to offer up whereas the Dolphins and San Francisco don't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.