• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

... and that's true everywhere. Know how the local NE press has been licking at the boots of the Patriots all these years? Let the Pats not make the playoffs for a year or two straight and the snark will rise.

It’s not just the ‘Skins. Slingczabe was still trash-talking the Caps en route to winning the Stanley Cup two years ago. Last year, same thing with the local media and the Nats... although they really did look that bad. Les Bullets seem immune to that, for some weird reason, and they really do suck.

There are local shows that talked to Kyle Shanahan and Kurt Cousins almost as much as if not more than local figures. They get ratings and hits. Those things don’t happen when teams are playing well... unless you’re the Caps winning a Stanley Cup. Then the next day the conversation starts to “Well... can they do it again? The Penguins repeated and bla, bla, bla... “

Basically, the local sports media sucks.

I hate to say it but the fanbase is the same way in a lot of aspects. Redskins fans, and DC fans for that matter, tend to be some of the least informed, loudest preaching, "my opinion is more accurate than yours because I read about it on Facebook", type fanbase. There are A LOT of really smart and dedicated sports fans around here, but they're outnumbered. Some of the takes I hear on local sports talk are completely laughable. The media is going to put out there what sells and what gets attention. Nuance and depth are not their priority. I have heard people reference Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelley and say "well we've tried taking Wrs in the 2nd round and that didnt work before..." like it's the same people making the decision. Look at the back and forth conversations that have been had, as you referenced, about Kirk Cousins... as if Rivera and Smith had ANYTHING to do with that situation. Forget the fact that the entire front office has been overhauled. There is very little 'rooting' for the Redskins. It's constantly looking at history and finding reasons why the team is going to fail.

It's one reason I refuse to listen to the radio or get on message boards after a loss, more-so after an embarrassing one. I'm not asking for rainbows and unicorns, but the conversation just comes back to 'same ol' Redskins.' Or , 'if Kirk was still here.' I can already see the flaming after Haskins gets sacked from the blind side a couple times this year... "AND THAT IS WHY YOU DON'T LET YOUR LT WALK!!!!!" Like we had a choice. People STILL talk about "They messed up with they didnt sign Kirk."

If our fanbase would stop clicking, sharing, and reposting the nonsense that a lot of our local media spews, it would shut those guys up. Problem is a lot of them share the same narrative, so it's fun to read and repost stuff that you agree with.

sorry.... rant over. :rant::soapbox:

That is one of the main reasons why I only chat with certain people about the Skins. If your first reaction is to hate on the team...I can't do anything with you.

I hated Gruden. I would come out immediately saying it. But, I love this team. I spend as much time as anyone here rooting for them. I have paid extra over those local to watch the team! but, at some point you have to just root for them and try to enjoy it.

If our fanbase would stop clicking, sharing, and reposting the nonsense that a lot of our local media spews, it would shut those guys up. Problem is a lot of them share the same narrative, so it's fun to read and repost stuff that you agree with.

sorry.... rant over. :rant::soapbox:
No need to apologize, I think you're take is pretty spot on., I cannot stand most sport's talk radio anymore. You are absolutely correct about them providing what sells, and for some reason bashing the team is what people seem to want.

I would only add this, and I can only speak for myself...but I've been beaten down by the Skins and it has had a negative effect on me. Upon my return after living in Florida where I could only get game tracker on game days, I was resolute to attend as many games as possible. So over 8 years I spent well over 10k on tickets. I believe that gave me a stake in this team...so I was very vocal about their dysfunction.

Now? Because we're under new management, I'm willing to give a lifelong obsession another chance. And while I can be optimistic for a new future, it does not mean I still don't have criticism. I don't want to maintain constant disdain all day every day, but I can criticize the way we handled Trent, until the trade was finally done. No need to expound much...it's over. Kinda glad it's done now, I see the other POV.

Let's be hopeful a 4th round rookie can be the 10 year answer at LT we've been able to have for the past 20 years. Here's to having Charles carry the left side of the line for 10 years like his predecessor before him, and his predecessor before him. I don't think it's going to happen, but one can hope! :sneaky:

No need to apologize, I think you're take is pretty spot on., I cannot stand most sport's talk radio anymore. You are absolutely correct about them providing what sells, and for some reason bashing the team is what people seem to want.

I would only add this, and I can only speak for myself...but I've been beaten down by the Skins and it has had a negative effect on me. Upon my return after living in Florida where I could only get game tracker on game days, I was resolute to attend as many games as possible. So over 8 years I spent well over 10k on tickets. I believe that gave me a stake in this team...so I was very vocal about their dysfunction.

Now? Because we're under new management, I'm willing to give a lifelong obsession another chance. And while I can be optimistic for a new future, it does not mean I still don't have criticism. I don't want to maintain constant disdain all day every day, but I can criticize the way we handled Trent, until the trade was finally done. No need to expound much...it's over. Kinda glad it's done now, I see the other POV.

Let's be hopeful a 4th round rookie can be the 10 year answer at LT we've been able to have for the past 20 years. Here's to having Charles carry the left side of the line for 10 years like his predecessor before him, and his predecessor before him. I don't think it's going to happen, but one can hope! :sneaky:

I actually have no problem with criticism. God knows this team has done enough to warrant it's fair share of resent.... and no i'm not backing my comments up.

My bigger point is in line with yours. The team messed up the Trent situation. They messed up the Kirk situation. Albert Haynesworth, Adam Archuleta, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Fred Davis, the list goes on and on. As you so eloquently stated, we're under new management. Management that has yet to put a true mark with any measurable data.

I apologize for my part in perpetuating this whole thing. I hope we can get back to rooting for our favorite team as the dust on this settles, and I hope that not every move is analyzed wearing a Deion Sanders jersey.

Rueben Foster 5th year declined.
I wish he were healthy, otherwise we likely would have. But with Allen getting his, Ionnides getting the extensions, Payne up for one next year...we gotta see how he works out. I think he understands this isn't a knock on his ability like the Bears not choosing to pick up Trubisky's. Haha!

Curious about how you all feel about Reuben Foster at this point. Me, he's not even on the radar in terms of on-field contributions--this next season or beyond. If and when he is on the field practicing in full pads at full speed, and we start hearing how good he looks over a period of a few weeks, I'll start figuring where I think he fits. Until then he's a mirage.

Does anyone have a different sense?

I feel like he is Junior Galette 2.0. The thought of the dominating pass rusher from his prior team excited me...so much so I even forgave an injury.

but, now it feels like we are paying for the name and not going to get anything for it.

Yeah, and I'm really ok with keeping a potential pass rush beast around, in theory. Just not up for having that guy carry a contract, and/or roster spot, or being considered an asset when the truth is he's never played a down. Love to get an honest off-the-record take from Ron and JDR on what they think about him.

Couple thoughts. If we get to the season (and there is a season) and he can play, bring it on and let's see what he can do. But that's the only scenario - him being healthy and performing at a high level - where it makes sense to continue with him. Two other factors... for the first time in a long time we have a ton of young talent that will be vying for roster spots. He is 26 and hasn't played a down in almost 2 years. What we don't want to do is to hold onto him, 'hoping' he can at some point be the guy many thought he would be, while letting a younger, healthier potential player go.

The other factor here is his character. He's had a myriad of issues in both college and the pros, from trying to cheat on drug tests, to minor assaults, to weapons and drug offenses, and most concerning, the domestic violence arrest. Maybe all of that's behind him - but he certainly wouldn't seem to fit the mold of 'high character guy' that Rivera supposedly covets.

He has a lot to prove, both in terms of health, character, and ability, if he's going to be a Redskin going forward.

Everyone talks about the NY media and fans. It’s true that guys that sign big contracts and don’t perform get a level of scrutiny you don’t see here.

BUT, when teams win big the city embraces the players as heroes and there really is a residual of good feeling and respect for the teams that year.

As you indicated when the Caps and Nats won titles in 2018 and 2019 there was a buzz for some weeks and then it all seemed to die away quickly, more so from the media than fans perhaps but overall, you could feel it.

My uncle has been a Mets fan for 60 years and after the World Series he said he hoped the Washington fans would appreciate what they just saw as he would have given his left *** to see the Mets do what the Nats did.

This is an interesting discussion about the DC fans and media and the appreciation of their teams. I used to listen to the DC sports talk radio through my phone. I had to stop because it was all the same talking point over and over stirring up drama. You could tell some of the hosts had personal feelings about the players that caused them to not be honest in their opinions. Fast forward to the Caps winning the Eastern Conference Finals and making it to the Stanley Cup. I decided to tune in and see what the mood was like. I couldn’t listen for more than 5 minutes because Weinstein (I think it was him) was going on and on about how if the Caps lose, this will be their biggest choke job ever. Why would you discuss that the day after the team won the ECF? If they lost the Stanley Cup Finals, you would have a whole month to talk about it before football training camp talk took over. It was sad and embarrassing that this was the talk the day after this Caps group, perhaps the best and most talented, won something they had never won.

I have this fear that when the Redskins start to win, there will be too many fans that won’t enjoy it. There will also be plenty in the media egging them on as well. For fans in that situation, I actually feel bad for them. For the media, screw them and their negative attitude. I think many of them just want to be negative and contrarian even with success. I guess they feel like they have to keep up with the political talk to always be against someone or something. I’m not a Nats fan so I don’t know how they were treated. But I did see the comments here that it was somewhat similar to the Caps in that not everyone enjoyed it.

I understand the angst and frustration. Like most on here, my passion for the Redskins is not as strong as it used to be. But after all the pain and heartache they have put me through, you better believe I will enjoy the winning when it happens. It’s why I watch sports and I hope that time of winning comes sooner than later.

Regarding Foster

I wonder what that 5th-year option looks like. I mean, it's still his rookie contract. While I'm mostly with Om in the camp of he is a mirage until he isn't, I can't help but wonder if maybe we didn't just miss out on a chance to keep first-round, proven NFL talent (albeit with the caveat of "when healthy" which is huge in this case) for what amounts to a song.

Understand, I'm not saying I disagree here, at least not totally. Really more just wondering aloud.

A reason I wish we'd get away from these 'mega threads' - we have two different conversations going about Foster in two mega threads.

You guys need to stop making posts, and start some threads :)

Anyone catch RR's comments on Cam today? He adopted a wait and see attitude when asked about Newton coming to DC. Among other things, he noted he had two young QBs : one who knows his system really well and one who "shows some promise".

I just watched that clip and he's just being respectful of Cam imho. He's smart and smart coaches never 'rule anything out'. But it was also clear from his comments that he is 100% good going forward with what we have.

'The thing about Cam is... the situation. We're in a situation where we've got two really young QBs, one that's been with us, been in the system and understands how we want things done. The other one's a guy that was taken last year in the 1st round that showed some promise. You go back and break Dwayne down and you see a lot of positive things. I think with Cam, and I have thought about it, it's about the situation and circumstances. I'm not sure if I would do it, I'm not sure if I wouldn't do it. It again it depends on circumstances.'

I don't think Rivera is sure Newton can play at a high level anymore. He hasn't been able to for several seasons. I think it would take major injuries to one or both of our young guys before he'd seriously consider it. I think he sees this as a 'rebuild' and you don't 'rebuild' with 'retreads'. Just my sense of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.