• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Trying to figure out the effects of ‘innovation’ and ‘creativity’ is tricky when it comes to sports.

The Rams under McVay were thought to be the model as adaptable and innovative folks but two plus years in the weight of some bad contracts and under-performing core players had them a .500 team and out of the playoffs.

Meanwhile the 2012 Ravens and 2015 Broncos were traditional meat and potato teams that played excellent defense, ran the ball and made plays off play action.

The latter teams won the Super Bowl while McVay and his offense were shut down to 3 points in their SB appearance, tying for the lowest offensive production in the SB in almost 50 years.

You can point to Andy Reid, but he just got over the hump in KC after starting as a HC when Clinton was President.

What all this tells me is that a team that follows a more traditional path, with some wrinkles can still be relevant and a contender.

What we don’t know about the Rivera regime is the effect Scott Turner will have.

He just ascended to the OC role and he may configure things in a way we have not seen from the Panthers in the past.

Nice insights Bulldog. I'm super excited to see what Scott Turner can do. Norv Turner has been one of the brighter offensive minds of the last 20 years and there's no question he has passed on a lot of knowledge (and like some of his philosophy) to his son. Having a QB who's essentially a rookie and some very young offensive talent - Turner really has an opportunity to build the offense the way he wants to.

2 to 3 seasons from now, I just have a feeling, we could have something we haven't seen in awhile on offense...

Just read a fun fact on another site that makes you appreciate how hard Adrian Peterson works. Basically he’s been kicking butt for so long he’s played with Randy Moss and now he gets to line up with his son.

Thought that was pretty cool

Bulldog. I respect your pov.

In a similar vein, I have a pov. I don't care all that much about 2020. Chase fell nto our laps precisely because this franchise has been rotten/misled for so long. The Gibson pick is interesting. We'll see where it goes. As for the Riverboat Pilot and the rest of the crew, do I think they are an improvement? Absolutely. Do I think there is anything special about his coaching staff and the Pilot? Other than JDR, eff no. What I hear from these guys are the endless football cliches we are all accustomed to. What I don't hear, important for at least me, is "an innovator"...."creative"...."adjusts well". In the end, one good year in a dvision that was weak at the time.

Bullldog....I do enjoy reading your posts. They make me think. After 35+ years of professional experience, I have developed a sixth sense, if you will, for success. And I don't sense it here. I see competence. Not greatness. If I end up eating crow? Eh...too bad for me!

Keep posting brotha.
I tend to try and be more optimistic in the short term (and less cranky ;) ) than you do I think but for the most part I feel the same as you. I'm excited about JDR but the rest of the staff I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about. Like you I want to see more before I get completely pulled back in. I've had my chain jerked enough times the last 20 years to be wary. I do agree with the sentiment that competence would be an improvement that I would love to see. Not being embarrassed to be Redskins fan would be pretty sweet, it's been way too long.

Suspect that's where 90% of Skins fans are Tom. Cautious optimism that things will steadily move in the right direction. I think one thing we know already is that Rivera is a pro and a class act. That alone should be cause for some encouragement. He and Kyle Smith have had to deal with some of the dysfunction that preceded them. I still hear some railing against it - but neither of these guys deserve any blame for what transpired previously. I give them credit for already shifting the focus. Starting spots will be earned, not anointed, players who don't want to be here, won't, relationships matter, etc...

Why did he drop so far in the draft?
Due to a multitude of character issues. Yea!!

He was suspended for 6 non conference games for failing a weed test. He started the final 9 games of LSU's championship run and was pretty dominant. I don't think it's accurate to say he has a multitude of character issues. I watched an interview with him and he seemed like a good kid to me who knew he had made some mistakes and that he had to keep his nose clean moving forward. He's also considered to be a little under-weight by NFL standards and this draft was deep with quality tackles so I think those factors also contributed to his slide. There's a good article here about the amount of research Rivera and Smith put into Charles and why they feel good about the pick: https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...smith-researched-then-decided-saahdiq-charles

I think some of you old-school guys are a little quick to dog on players if they have made some mistakes. These college players are kids after all and some of them are going to slip up. I'm more concerned about how they grow from these mistakes. I remember when Randy Moss slipped in the draft the message boards were full of guys saying he was a pot head and had a "multitude of character issues". Moss of course turned out to be one of the GOATs at receiver. Charles has first round talent. If he can bulk up a little bit and stay focused he'll wind up being a great player and a tremendous steal. Rivera doesn't seem like the kind of guy to take a chance on a kid with a history of troubles unless he feels real good about him.

That's a fair point. I do think there were more issues than just weed infractions, but what I always try and remember is where I was in my early 20's. It wasn't pretty. 5 year stint in the Marine Corps and I was a changed human being. Most of us, unfortunately, experience some of those growing pains. So your thoughts sound dead on to me. Some guys never change, never learn, and never grow up. But many do. I trust Rivera and Smith on their instincts as they do not seem to be the type to talk themselves into a selection based on hope and crossed fingers.

He was suspended for 6 non conference games for failing a weed test. He started the final 9 games of LSU's championship run and was pretty dominant. I don't think it's accurate to say he has a multitude of character issues. I watched an interview with him and he seemed like a good kid to me who knew he had made some mistakes and that he had to keep his nose clean moving forward. He's also considered to be a little under-weight by NFL standards and this draft was deep with quality tackles so I think those factors also contributed to his slide. There's a good article here about the amount of research Rivera and Smith put into Charles and why they feel good about the pick: https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...smith-researched-then-decided-saahdiq-charles

I think some of you old-school guys are a little quick to dog on players if they have made some mistakes. These college players are kids after all and some of them are going to slip up. I'm more concerned about how they grow from these mistakes. I remember when Randy Moss slipped in the draft the message boards were full of guys saying he was a pot head and had a "multitude of character issues". Moss of course turned out to be one of the GOATs at receiver. Charles has first round talent. If he can bulk up a little bit and stay focused he'll wind up being a great player and a tremendous steal. Rivera doesn't seem like the kind of guy to take a chance on a kid with a history of troubles unless he feels real good about him.

When I say ‘multitude’ it’s for a reason. I’m not one to use hyperbole. I saw more than one report that referenced marijuana use and the penalties that cost him, his team and his teammates. The other points gleaned from coaches was that he was a follower, not a leader, and that he was not self-motivated which I took as code for lazy.

In addition, for players in the major conferences, non-conference games are always the one where discipline is meated out. It would probably take a felony for one of the football factory coaches to sit a star player in a conference game.

I hope I’m wrong about him and that with maturity the concerns will diminish or disappear. To me, at this point, he seems like the kind of guy Dallas specializes in.

Last edited:
The fact Bruce Allen is unemployed and Jay Gruden was hired as the OC for another of the dysfunctional teams in the league speaks volumes on how much we have moved forward.

By the accounts I read Rivera would have been a legit candidate for the Giants HC job and others around the league with quality organizations.

No one of note wanted our GM, Head Coach or any of the assistants - the group reflected the team’s record - #31 in the NFL.

Charles to me was taken at a good spot for us in re risk vs. reward.

He is by all accounts a #2 pick in terms of talent but he has baggage.

So he dropped to the fourth and we were able to snag him seconds after the Williams trade was announced.

Riddick agreed that it was the right spot for Washington to make this move.

And he is to me LIGHT YEARS ahead of where Geron Christian was a couple of years ago where we reached in the third round to take a project most had as a #5 or #6 pick.

He's also only 20 years old and protected Joe Burrow's blind side on a National Championship team.

It's not like he played his games against St.Mary's Sisters of the Poor.

He just might turn out to be the steal of this draft.

GSF....not my angle. I'm just enjoying a sidebar chuckle vis the double standard. Here and elsewhere.

Hope the kid does well.

Ahh...gotcha. Well it sounds like from other posters he may have had other issues than the weed use. I only know about the weed use. I'm still hopeful he works out based on the interview with him I saw.

project

Hope he does well. I wouldn't put him on the field as a starter in Sep. Then again, maybe the long-term plan is to draft a QB Rivera is comfortable with 2021. We've heard the diamond in the rough narrative a million times. This is not a plug-n-play prospect. He is what one would expect for a fourth round pick.

I am actually pretty daggone happy with our draft. we picked up the stud Young, we addressed LT, made a good trade to get rid of Trent, and then addressed things as they came around.

Moss being an UDFA and coming to us is the cherry on top.

project

Hope he does well. I wouldn't put him on the field as a starter in Sep. Then again, maybe the long-term plan is to draft a QB Rivera is comfortable with 2021. We've heard the diamond in the rough narrative a million times. This is not a plug-n-play prospect. He is what one would expect for a fourth round pick.
So, if you were in charge, Jacoby would have never started his rookie year. Hmmm.

BTW, Dan Snyder should sell the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.