• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Doesn't matter who saying it. It sounds/reads the same.

As in, the team signing X, and Y, is as easy as them saying/writing, that they should have.

Just an observation.

I agree with you there. Even factors like the wife or girlfriend being opposed to moving to a certain area can derail a deal. We just don’t know.

Also, the uncertainty of a young QB, whether it's Haskins or a rookie, would definitely influence receivers and TE's.
They want to get their numbers.

we need Steven Sims to step up, too. He showed great flashes, but A LOT of reasons why he was an undrafted rookie

We could definitely use a solid, hard working veteran receiver to help guide our youngins'.
All of whom show promise.
Except for TM. He's our#1 already.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to bring Pierre back at a decent salary for one year to help show them the toughness people need at that position. He wasn't offered anything by anyone so I think that cold have happened.

but, alas...Brucie decided he knew better.

we need Steven Sims to step up, too. He showed great flashes, but A LOT of reasons why he was an undrafted rookie

I think he showed more than just 'flashes' - but yeah. Here's the thing... how many times does a time pick up 3 rookie WRs and see them have the success that McLaurin, Harmon, and Sims had. We hit the jackpot on that front. I would've loved to see them get a vet star to post opposite McLaurin, but I can see why they may not have felt that was a huge priority given the young talent we have at that spot. They may also be looking at what many believe is the best WR draft class of WRs in decades and feel they can grab another talented youngster there. We'll see....

I think he showed more than just 'flashes' - but yeah. Here's the thing... how many times does a time pick up 3 rookie WRs and see them have the success that McLaurin, Harmon, and Sims had. We hit the jackpot on that front. I would've loved to see them get a vet star to post opposite McLaurin, but I can see why they may not have felt that was a huge priority given the young talent we have at that spot. They may also be looking at what many believe is the best WR draft class of WRs in decades and feel they can grab another talented youngster there. We'll see....
with a real coach now, we will see if it was a flash in the pan or the real thing. I don't think we need to overpay for someone like Cooper or that likes. But, a nice vet like Fitz (i know he isnt available) would be perfect.

I wanted to bring Pierre back at a decent salary for one year to help show them the toughness people need at that position. He wasn't offered anything by anyone so I think that cold have happened.

but, alas...Brucie decided he knew better.

As much crap as we give Bruce, and rightfully so, he got the Garçon thing right. You always have to know when to let a guy go and you let them go too soon rather than too late. Garçon signed a 5 year 47.5 million dollar contract with the niners. He then played 8 games the first year and 8 the second year. He was injured most of his time in SF. Had the Redskins done that, it would be another in the long line of failed big contracts. Now, he’s damaged goods and isn’t worth anything to anyone. The Redskins got that one right, which brings their batting average up to about .150. We Orioles fans call that Chris Davis range.

I am going to continue to argue that Turner should seriously consider moving Cam Sims to TE. Here's my logic:

1. Cam Sims isn't a good enough route runner, pass catcher, or fast enough to be an elite WR.
2. We have a ton of young talent that will make it difficult to impossible for Sims to break into the starting lineup at WR.
3. Sims is currently in the 6' 5" 225 lb range. He is fairly lanky/wiry but he is not a small man. He could easily pack on 20-25 lbs and reach prototypical TE size.
4. Although Sims is not always a great route runner or perfect pass catcher, those flaws would be less critical at TE.
5. Sims is extremely athletic and would immediately pose matchup problems at TE. Instead of having to beat top-flight CBs, he could potentially feast against slower, less athletic LBs and safeties.
6. I believe a bulked-up Sims would immediately be the most dangerous TE on this squad.

This would be a no-brainer move. No - Sims likely won't be a big road-grader blocking TE. But we haven't had one of those in years (and trying him at TE, even if he can never perform as that type of TE, doesn't preclude us from finding another TE with those skills). Basically, you'd potentially be taking a guy whose current ceiling probably keeps him on the sidelines (and possibly on the inactive list) at WR, and possibly creating a starter at TE. It literally is a risk-free idea. I have no idea if Turner has given this any thought at all. But I think it would be worthy of consideration.

4. Although Sims is not always a great route runner or perfect pass catcher, those flaws would be less critical at TE.

I don't understand this. Why would pass catching be less critical at TE ? It's still the #1 skill required for anyone receiving a pass, regardless of their position.
Route running is critical as well. If that's an issue for him at WR, it may also be an issue for him at TE.
But like I said, pass-catching is the most important aspect.

Pass catching doesn't happen in a vacuum. I'm not talking about pure 'drops' or how good his hands are (which obviously doesn't change regardless of where he is playing). Most 'catches' in the NFL are contested. 'Contesting' against more athletic, quick CBs is much more difficult than at the TE spot. Now there are some things that may be MORE difficult at the TE spot, like retaining possession during a big hit for example, or having to catch passes over the middle knowing contact is moments away. We don't know how he would fare in those situations. But I think Sims athleticism and relative quickness advantage over LBs and safeties would give him more 'open' receiving opportunities than he is going to experience at WR where the guys covering him are equal or better athletes and have the speed to contest catches. Does that make it clearer?

And Fear - I could be totally wrong. The only way we would ever know is to try him there. I don't see a downside. I am very skeptical he is reliable enough at WR to break into the starting lineup. Why not try him at a spot of need rather than having him warm the bench or be on the inactive list on game days? He's struggled just making the roster at WR so far.

And Fear - I could be totally wrong. The only way we would ever know is to try him there. I don't see a downside. I am very skeptical he is reliable enough at WR to break into the starting lineup. Why not try him at a spot of need rather than having him warm the bench or be on the inactive list on game days? He's struggled just making the roster at WR so far.

I am open to trying him, yea.
I was just curious what qualities he has, that are convincing that he might succeed in that conversion, other than his height.
He was practically nonexistent last year as a WR, on a 3-13 team, with no true #2 threat. So the opportunity was wide open for him.
I just figured that a convertible TE, might have shown more than that, as a WR, in that scenario.

Pass catching doesn't happen in a vacuum. I'm not talking about pure 'drops' or how good his hands are (which obviously doesn't change regardless of where he is playing). Most 'catches' in the NFL are contested. 'Contesting' against more athletic, quick CBs is much more difficult than at the TE spot. Now there are some things that may be MORE difficult at the TE spot, like retaining possession during a big hit for example, or having to catch passes over the middle knowing contact is moments away. We don't know how he would fare in those situations. But I think Sims athleticism and relative quickness advantage over LBs and safeties would give him more 'open' receiving opportunities than he is going to experience at WR where the guys covering him are equal or better athletes and have the speed to contest catches. Does that make it clearer?

Also, the NFL offensive scheme these days is heavily weighted to plays designed to free the TE in space.

I don't understand that logic Fear. One thing that is not debateable... the coverage skills a player faces at WR are much more challenging than those at TE. It's why guys who lack WR speed and skills can still be successful at TE. In other words, it's unheard of for a TE to convert to WR. But there have been instances of WRs moving to TE and having success. They are not equivalent positions.

I don't understand that logic Fear. One thing that is not debateable... the coverage skills a player faces at WR are much more challenging than those at TE. It's why guys who lack WR speed and skills can still be successful at TE. In other words, it's unheard of for a TE to convert to WR. But there have been instances of WRs moving to TE and having success. They are not equivalent positions.

I agree certain criteria is not as critical at the TE position, compared to WR.
I'm basically just saying that other than his height, I have not seen him convey anything at WR, to be convincing that he could make the conversion to TE.
I'm not saying that he can't, or that I'm rooting against him.
Maybe he can, and if he tried, I would certainly pull for him.

Last edited:

But the reason they get lesser coverage as a TE is that they are a threat to block. Their size and lesser athletic ability dictate coverage by a LB or S because they can't blow by you like a regular WR. It's why the best TE are generally the most athletic and also why you will see some teams match up their CBs with a TE. If you are a freak like Gronk, you have the size to mitigate those more athletic DBs. So for Sims, he would have to become a threat as a blocker, otherwise teams will just treat him as a 3rd or 4th WR. Also, depending on the coverage by the defense, you can line him up in the slot or tight to the line to try and get coverage by a LB or a S.

I guess my main point is that a good offensive coordinator will find ways to get mismatches for his guys regardless of what position they line up in. The key to someone converting from WR to TE is the ability to present that dual threat as a blocker and pass catcher. Otherwise, teams will just treat them as a WR when they come into the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 15, Members: 0, Guests: 15)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.