• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

50 tackles
7 sacks
2 FFs
5 STFs

If someone isn't impressed with that considering the dumpster fire of a DC we had; I have no idea how to impress them.
In addition, he really had 8. One of the last few games he sacked the QB as they were trying to get rid of it. Refs called it an incomplete pass but a challenge would have easily been overturned to a sack. Might have been 3rd down so they didn't bother, but it doesn't show on the stat sheet do to the refs but it was a sack.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

No faith in Sweat at all? Even though he was coached by the worst DC in the league?

Redskins fans basically gave up on Ioannidis after his first year struggles and now, he's arguably our best Dlineman.

So it's only natural that they'd do the same thing with Sweat.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't both Mann and Manley start out on Special Teams before they matured into bookends?

Why do fans no longer believe that a player needs to develop?

The jury is still out on Sweat but it's nowhere near time to give up and cut him.

Trent Murphy and Preston Smith looked like underwhelming disappointments with the Redskins. Then we let them go and they became impact players on playoff teams.

I wouldn't put too much stock into how Sweat looked with the Redskins this past year. It is entirely possible that we've been mis-using our edge-rushers for years here.

Trent Murphy and Preston Smith looked like underwhelming disappointments with the Redskins. Then we let them go and they became impact players on playoff teams.

I wouldn't put too much stock into how Sweat looked with the Redskins this past year. It is entirely possible that we've been mis-using our edge-rushers for years here.

There's no question he was misused Henry. I'm referring to what I saw, too often, on the field. Anyone keep stats on how many times he was entirely blocked out of a play? I expected to see flashes of excellence based on pure athleticism. I never saw it. In what game was he a difference maker?

Stats are a starting point - not an end point. Preston Smith had better stats his first season. But in terms of raw potential, I don't see him in Sweat's league. This is one area where I think Rivera/JDR are very definitely net pluses.

I hope he succeeds. I love great defensive players who can dominate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per WTEM report this AM, Dan Snyder sat in on the Scott Turner/O'Connell interviews this past week.

So, Dan is not as of yet ‘gone' from the proceedings , although every attempt is being made to minimize his presence ðŸ'¿

That is both concerning and totally unsurprising :)

Guess on the plus side, if that occurred at least it seems they went with Rivera's choice, and not the wunderkind O'Connell that Snyder supposedly wanted? I also wonder, given the history with Norv if It's possible Rivera wanted Snyder there to reassure his future OC that everything would be all business and no residual issues?

I don't know. I get that we just fired our GM but for God's sake couldn't Kyle Smith handle it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't help that every OC in the league appears to be some famous coaches son 😆😆😆

Talk about an aristocracy ðŸ'»

Perhaps he sat in to make sure it was a legit interview and one wasn't favored over the other?

Perhaps he wanted to see what kind of questions were asked?

Assuming that just because the owner is involved makes it "bad" doesn't really hold any weight.

Perhaps he sat in to make sure it was a legit interview and one wasn't favored over the other?

Perhaps he wanted to see what kind of questions were asked?

Assuming that just because the owner is involved makes it "bad" doesn't really hold any weight.

If it's true it just reflects the same tone deafness Snyder's always displayed. When the overriding perception of you as an owner is that you are involved in things you aren't qualified to be involved in, and by doing so have ruined a once great franchise, probably not a great idea to be sitting in on your new coaches interviews. If you're trying to sell a fan base on the idea that you've learned and that things are changing, not exactly a great way to do it.

Other than Jerry Jones - what other owner would do that?

It's fair to say opinions on this are based on assumption since no one knows what happened or why.

I don't know Boone, on the one hand I agree the optics are bad, on the other I kinda think MOST owners would be sitting in on some interviews when the team is in full rebuild mode. They didn't just hire a new coaching staff they've purged the whole kit and caboodle. With the gutting this FO has taken it doesn't seem so strange to see the CEO monitoring things as they evolve. I've always said the smart coach is the one who finds a way to teach Snyder how to do this right, not one who shuns him. That said, I wish he could find a way to be there electronically on the sly instead of physically present. It would allow him to keep tabs on things but not be intrusive or set up bad optics.

I get it. Snyder has always done "something" to meddle in football affairs. But, I guess I would just like to hope he isn't as much as some would that he does.

You just hired a very experienced HC and given him total control - but he needs you there to monitor the interview process for coordinators? I agree with Mike and you that it doesn't necessarily represent something ominous, but it's just not a good look imho.

And here's a question for you... how does the press know about this? Someone's running their mouth to the media about internal operations already? Doug Williams maybe?

Maybe they need to do a little more housecleaning?

If it's true it just reflects the same tone deafness Snyder's always displayed. When the overriding perception of you as an owner is that you are involved in things you aren't qualified to be involved in, and by doing so have ruined a once great franchise, probably not a great idea to be sitting in on your new coaches interviews. If you're trying to sell a fan base on the idea that you've learned and that things are changing, not exactly a great way to do it.

It's fair to say opinions on this are based on assumption since no one knows what happened or why.

I think maybe the point is that we don't know how other teams are run. Maybe other owners sit in on coordinator interviews. If I were forced to bet on it, I'd guess that there is a mix of styles over how things like this are handled.

Comparing this with the company I work for, I don't see an issue. The current org chart in DC has the Head Coach answering directly to the Owner which means that the OC and DC are really only one step removed from Dan. It really isn't uncommon in the corporate world for someone to interview with both the hiring manager - Riveria in this case - and the hiring manager's boss - meaning Snyder. I had to do that to get a job offer from my current company and I had to do it again when I applied for my current position which was an internal move. And before you tell me that Dan doesn't know anything about football I'm going to say that neither for the upper guys I interviewed with knew about being an engineer.

I think the problem is that Snyder was TOO involved to start with and has remained so, to varying degrees, for years. At this point, he will be seen to be meddling no matter what he does or how it compares to other owners.

I'm not sure I trust one 'report' given all the smoke we've seen over the years.

I agree with all your points. It's hard not to. we have a track record of our owner meddling and doing things we find out about later. I am just really hoping that this skunk finally changes his spots ;)

I don't think Lamar Hunt sits in meetings when Andy Reid is deciding on a choice of assistants in KC.

I think the perception issue here is that Snyder is so focused on protecting Haskins as his favorite player that colors where he puts his attention.

Notice that he didn't sit in the interviews for the other positions.

perception is done with whatever tint of glasses you are wearing at the time. its like reading someone's post and thinking "what are they so mad at?" when they aren't anywhere near mad. We all know his past and what he has done. doesn't mean he is doing it now.

I bet Robert Kraft has a say in his teams day to day.

I don't think Lamar Hunt sits in meetings when Andy Reid is deciding on a choice of assistants in KC.

I think the perception issue here is that Snyder is so focused on protecting Haskins as his favorite player that colors where he puts his attention.

Notice that he didn't sit in the interviews for the other positions.

If he fired his entire front office, 90% of the medical staff and all but one of the coaches, I'd be willing to bet he would be there at least some of the time.

No one is considering whether part of the august advisers feedback Snyder received prior to putting a plan in action was to sit in on this interview.

Then again, maybe it was to protect his investment in Haskins. Rivera doesn't pay Haskins...does he?

The again, again, maybe he was invited as a courtesy, since it has already been reported Rivera has total authority over staff hires - an outcome of the discussions Snyder and Rivera held prior to any hires. This seems most likely to me.

Snyder was the one who took the initiative to call RIvera's agent the day after he was fired and start the process. Maybe Ron wants him to be a part of it? After hearing Coach Gibbs talk today, maybe Coach Rivera wants him in on it?

Snyder was the one who took the initiative to call RIvera's agent the day after he was fired and start the process. Maybe Ron wants him to be a part of it? After hearing Coach Gibbs talk today, maybe Coach Rivera wants him in on it?

Could be Ron wants Snyder in on these interviews to show him how real football people do things?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.