• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Anybody here know what exactly it is that Trey Quinn does on offense?

For all the talk about him and how much Jay thought of him, so far, he makes no impact on a game.

For all the talk about him and how much Jay thought of him, so far, he makes no impact on a game.

I had the same thought today.

And while we're on the subject of under-performers: Sweat looks totally lost to me. I watched him closely today. He was getting blocked most of the time - by one of the worst o-lines in the league. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and trace this to awful coaching. Along with Haskns, it's important to see what this guy can do - right now. The DE from OSU is being described as a generational player. I don't know if he is....but that choice (assuming we continue to tank - and I saw nothing today that convinces me we'll improve much) is one the team is gonna have to consider. It's obvious we will need major upgrades on the o-line and CB (not to mention LBs). I dont' see a strategy taking hold by the FO. In my mind, I think the FO nitwits, especially Allen, still believe we're just a few players away. uh huh. I don't think so. The next six months are gonna be big time for decision-making. We all know what the probabilities are - not good.

I do know there is major roster turn-over still to come...including a real game breaking receiver to complement McLaurin and a TE that gives us a weapon that all the best teams have at that position. Yup. Lotta big choices need to be made - not the least of which will be undoing the screwed up mess the FO has made with coaching decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:

According to the Redskins hierarchy at the time, Trey 'is/was a fast white guy who can return the football'

Call me a racist but I didn't say it!

According to the Redskins hierarchy at the time, Trey 'is/was a fast white guy who can return the football'

Call me a racist but I didn't say it!

Racist white devil

Guess what errrbody...only 2 games out of 1st place in the NFC East!!!

Ok, so in 5 games Scary Terry has:

In five games, McLaurin has five touchdowns, 408 yards, and 23 receptions. And counting

Now let's extrapolate forwards to the end of the year.

Let's say he doesn't miss anymore time, he'd end with:

1224 yards on 69 receptions (that's 17.7 ypc) and 15 touchdowns.

Surely he's deep into the RotY conversation> Even if we're a shambles of a team!

Pounding the rock works

I'm not going to argue that a good rushing attack isn't helpful in producing wins. But it's about being effective. Teams with effective offenses score points and build leads, rushing to burn clock and reduce opponent possessions. If the top 10 rushing attempt teams are winning teams (pretty much factual) - it's just as likely that they are rushing more because they are winning, as it is that they are winning more because they are rushing.

If the Redskins had a consistently good passing attack they'd win more. If they had a consistently good rushing attack they'd win more.

We don't. So we haven't.

Those lovely correlations. I think the most accurate statement you can make is: When the rushing game is working well, we tend to win. If the rushing game is working badly, we tend to lose.

It isn't just us rushing, it's us rushing successfully that matters. Pounding the run game when it is failing will not assist in the goal of winning, it will just not be pointed out in that case. The reason AP generally has less rushing attempts is....because we are behind and in long distance situations.

Ideally the team keeps as penalty free on offense as they did in this game, and keeps the yardage shorter to allow for the rushing game to be effective going forward. We can dream :)

Those lovely correlations. I think the most accurate statement you can make is: When the rushing game is working well, we tend to win. If the rushing game is working badly, we tend to lose.

It isn't just us rushing, it's us rushing successfully that matters. Pounding the run game when it is failing will not assist in the goal of winning, it will just not be pointed out in that case. The reason AP generally has less rushing attempts is....because we are behind and in long distance situations.

Ideally the team keeps as penalty free on offense as they did in this game, and keeps the yardage shorter to allow for the rushing game to be effective going forward. We can dream :)

Very true that it's not just about pounding the ball, but I do think the offensive play calling (in addition to execution) plays into whether not something is successful. And I would argue Gruden often got us into spots where we couldn't run because of his play calling style.

One game does not a trend make, but I'm eager to see how games are called moving forward.

Very true that it's not just about pounding the ball, but I do think the offensive play calling (in addition to execution) plays into whether not something is successful. And I would argue Gruden often got us into spots where we couldn't run because of his play calling style.

One game does not a trend make, but I'm eager to see how games are called moving forward.

Completely agree. There have often been times that, in the 20% of the time we passed on 1st down, it became "necessary" per game flow to pass again because of the distance. Adding in the constant penalties we had been getting from lack of discipline, and there have been too many times we were in a pass orientation.

I'm not saying they are not giving up on run too early, because they definitely were. But it is foolish to go into a game saying "I'm gonna bash against that front 7 come hell or high water" and not adjust if it isn't there that day. That's what we accused Gruden of doing all along...not adapting to the situation.

If the game flow says pass, you have to execute those plays as well. Catch the ball, execute properly, and you still have the clock running down as desired, are still controlling the clock. Like many things with the team, execution is the issue, run or pass...if they get things going the correct way, the stats will reflect it. I just contend that the stats don't show the root cause, just symptoms.

The correlation comes from the fact that higher volumes of running plays equates to wins. The teams that have a head coach and offensive coordinator that actually realize this are on winning teams. Our garbage ex HC Jay could not grasp this fact either. The teams that commit to the run, regardless of ypc success more often than not win the game.

Shi we differ here, the we're only running it if it's there mentality is EXACTLY why we lost 7 straight games. Stupid ass Jay abandoning the run is mostly why we've been losing. That and Manusky is garbage. You can't quit on the run game just because the first series got stuffed. The stats back this up wholeheartedly

Last edited:
The other thing that's been killing the run game(especially under Jay),as Cooley pointed out repeatedly, the Redskins were not "marrying" the run game to the pass game.

They always tipped off when they were running by formation or personnel. The sad thing was even the fans,whether at home or in the stands, recognized it too.

What we saw yesterday was some tweaks to remedy this. The first Mclaurin TD was out of a three TE set I believe. Hopefully KOC and Callahan keep it trending this way and we see gradual improvement.

Keenum definitely needs to improve on his completion % as well. I would think this gets better with him and the wr's with more practice time together.

The phins pass rush was/is considered putrid I know but did the skins keep extra personnel in on passes yesterday? Those tweaks will improve even further in a Jayless offense. It was nice to read no sacks against us while our D has opened up the can in that department recently. 9 sacks in the last two games is pretty damn impressive

The correlation comes from the fact that higher volumes of running plays equates to wins. The teams that have a head coach and offensive coordinator that actually realize this are on winning teams. Our garbage ex HC Jay could not grasp this fact either. The teams that commit to the run, regardless of ypc success more often than not win the game.

Shi we differ here, the we're only running it if it's there mentality is EXACTLY why we lost 7 straight games. Stupid ass Jay abandoning the run is mostly why we've been losing. That and Manusky is garbage. You can't quit on the run game just because the first series got stuffed. The stats back this up wholeheartedly

Trust me, I'm not disregarding that there is a correlation. I'm also not saying you should only run when you know it will work, as that is reactive and found to be less effective than asserting your will on your opponent.

I am saying I believe lack of execution is the root cause of the issues, not how many times we run it. I believe as execution gets better, victory conditions improve, and we will have more successful and frequent runs as a result.

You're right, they can't quit on the run because they got stuffed. They have to figure out a way to succeed, run or pass. What in saying is that game flow is us being in a 3rd and 8 or 9+ too often, which is much less likely to succeed by running. We get better execution to be at 2nd and 3, 3rd and 2 more often, and we can start burning teams effectively as well.

If it's being finally emphasized more during the week in practice, it might well develop into a damn good running attack on gameday.
You know, practice what you preach.

The Dolphins have given up 40 pts a game this season, and 180 yards per game on the ground. We scored 17.

Please tell me we aren't this stupid.

You pass to score and run to maintain the lead. That is today's NFL. Now, if you have a stud OL and running back, you can buck that trend. That game should have been a run away win. The Phins are that bad. But a win is a win. Hopefully this is a stepping stone.

Trust me, I'm not disregarding that there is a correlation. I'm also not saying you should only run when you know it will work, as that is reactive and found to be less effective than asserting your will on your opponent.

I am saying I believe lack of execution is the root cause of the issues, not how many times we run it. I believe as execution gets better, victory conditions improve, and we will have more successful and frequent runs as a result.

You're right, they can't quit on the run because they got stuffed. They have to figure out a way to succeed, run or pass. What in saying is that game flow is us being in a 3rd and 8 or 9+ too often, which is much less likely to succeed by running. We get better execution to be at 2nd and 3, 3rd and 2 more often, and we can start burning teams effectively as well.

We're getting their brother, slowly but surely. KOC is another week in as well as the qb line up is finally set with no more guessing. As DP44 mentioned subtle tweaks to the lineups and formations will be increased too. Our offense just got a bunch less predictable with O'Connell, he's our wildcard!

I'm actually on the Ax crazy train with optimism now. Matter of fact I think we hand Kyle his first loss of the year and go 2-5. Nobody confuse me with wanting Manusky or Bruce staying on though, they're garbage. We're gonna win more than we lose here on out, book it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.