• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I don't even think it's a question of the gaudy yardage or whether KC1 has cut-down the amount of pickles. The questions are the timing of when he decides to shit the bed, whether that can be fixed and are those questions worth $50m guaranteed.

Nick

We would do well to stop focusing so much on the dollars. The market for a legit starting QB is going to be stupid high--unprecedented high. So unless one feels he's simply not a legit starting NFL QB, if the Redskins are going to sign him, they're going to have to make him the highest paid QB in NFL history. We need to falling into the trap of thinking he has to BE the best QB in the league to get paid like him.

We have lots of cap dollars available. The cap will keep going up every year. I'm not saying anything here that hasn't been said before, but the contract numbers that make us all reflexively gag in 2017 will look like a bargain in 2019. Particularly if the man continues to at or near the level of the last two years AND the Skins put a competent defense and complementary running game around him.

Only downside I see right now of paying the man true market value---read: stupid money---is if he really truly doesn't want to be here, or if after getting paid he suddenly regresses as a QB. On the former, the only reason we'd think that is because the media keeps throwing the notion around. On the latter, we've seen nothing that would suggest he's not, at worst, the guy who has shattered franchise records the past two years and won more than he's lost.

Well, relatively speaking, it's all stupid money. Top half sports athletes are the most grossly overpaid people on the planet.

#8 will, at minimum, have made $40+miliion dollars by the close of 2017. If nobody else believes that that doesn't demand playoff wins, starting in 2017, that's fine.

But for me, anything less will mean they just wasted their money.

If timing is truly everything, Cousins is Captain Fantastic.

For his own payday, absolutely.

As for leading the team to a 2016 playoff berth in the finale, he was Captain Craptastic. ;)

Well, one thing we know for certain.

With Poe, Hankins, Logan and others in a good crop of DTs hitting FA we will see how important the DL is to the Redskins.

Scot doesn't like to draft inside DL high because he said he favors pass rushers at the top of the draft.

Fine. Then the other way of improving the line inside with quality is to spend some of that cap room.

Attempts to patch things with 33 year old career backups in Golston and 30 year old Ziggy Hood playing out of position at 298 pounds as a natural DE didn't work and similar moves won't work in 2017 either.

Why keep trying to fit a round peg in a square hole?

Hankins may cost a contract between Poe and Logan but he's only 25 and has the most upside.

If you are going to pay a guy, pay him as he enters his prime not when he is coming out the other end in his 30's.

If I could only kick a football....

Yardbarker

Fwiw........it may be true, and it may be bs.

"President Bruce Allen, coach Jay Gruden, scouts Alex Santos and Scott Campbell, and personnel executive Doug Williams are now running the team."

I don't believe Chris Russell knows jack shit about what is really happening in our front office. But I do think it's obvious there's a problem of some kind with McCloughan - missing the combine is inconceivable in the absence of some kind of issue. I think a relapse is the most likely explanation unfortunately but time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bread crumbs do seem to point to a relapse. What Cooley had to say about that may well have been leaked to him ... plus there is a history there. To dismiss it as a good possibility would be silly.

Clearly there could be something entirely different going on---anyone who's lived a few years knows how complicated life can get, and how much of one's life no one else has a clue about. We may never know the full story here.

The one thing we DO know is this sucks for the 2017 offseason. Our GM isn't at the combine, and there's no indication if or when he'll be back in the saddle. One hopes that since this has clearly been brewing a while, the Skins are looking at contingency plans to bring in a successor if necessary. The one thing I don't want to hear coming out of Ashburn is that Allen is assuming full GM duties again. Been there, done that.

Well this completely and utterly sucks. The one positive I can take from it is the team is covering for McLovin by saying he's dealing with family stuff. That suggests the team thinks there's hope he'll evetually return. Otherwise I think they would have just fired him.

But it still sucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ESPN are reporting that he's missing due to the death of his Grandmother...

ESPN are reporting that he's missing due to the death of his Grandmother...

Sorry, hadn't read the article you linked. Says the same there.

Could just be that simple. *shrugs*

Which, given her passing was a month ago, sounds a little too simple. To NFL GM's, the combine is as important an event as there is on their calendars. There would almost have to be something more going on there ... so I won't discount the possibility that there are family issues associated with her passing--we all have families, and we all know things can get messy/complicated when someone dies--that really and truly are requiring his full-time attention right now.

When the team shut all the windows and locked all the doors after Cooley's 'speculation' instead of disciplining him or refuting it...

Yep. Too much smoke now. I think something's going on. Hope not ...

The only plausible excuse for family matters in death of grandmother would be if executor or her estate. Or some legal issues.

Yeah, and some even have family dying, or already dead and in the ground from alcohol.

Really, no joke.

True that. It's a disease.

Assuming (big assumption) that's what's going on here, it's not hard to feel for the man, even while regretting the potential impact on the team that brought us all here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.