• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

No, but we aren't the Maryland Redskins either.

True, but the NY Giants are in NJ, there is no such place as New England, the Rams and Chargers both dont play in LA, etc. I think its just the locale and where they once did play.

Identifying legit racial injustices - to me, it's good that it is on more people's radar these days. The name change - shouldn't apply. To me, it's pretty simple - if native Americans were overwhelmingly wounded and felt the name was racist - then of course, listen to them. When the Wash Post did that big survey, esp as a news source that is anti-Snyder and against the name, found out that native Americans were NOT offended and also used the same imagery and name in their schools (for example) - then that's a wrap. If it doesn't bother the group that it supposedly offends - then move along.

Identifying legit racial injustices - to me, it's good that it is on more people's radar these days. The name change - shouldn't apply. To me, it's pretty simple - if native Americans were overwhelmingly wounded and felt the name was racist - then of course, listen to them. When the Wash Post did that big survey, esp as a news source that is anti-Snyder and against the name, found out that native Americans were NOT offended and also used the same imagery and name in their schools (for example) - then that's a wrap. If it doesn't bother the group that it supposedly offends - then move along.
This.

I have been carrying that banner for years every time this comes up. It should end the discussion out there in the general public, but of course it does not.

The day the Native American community at large finds the name offensive, it should go. Til then, those taking it upon themselves to speak FOR them should just stop. I mean ... isn't assuming you know what's best for someone else who doesn't look or think like you, like, politically incorrect?

This.

I have been carrying that banner for years every time this comes up. It should end the discussion out there in the general public, but of course it does not.

The day the Native American community at large finds the name offensive, it should go. Til then, those taking it upon themselves to speak FOR them should just stop. I mean ... isn't assuming you know what's best for someone else who doesn't look or think like you, like, politically incorrect?

Tried having this conversation with a friend of mine the other day, laid out exactly how you have. But, he kept trying to circle it back to me telling them how they should feel about the name.

I provided both Washington Post polls that were done, the one in 2016 that found 9 out of ten do not find the name offensive, and the one they did just this past fall where the WP wouldn't even provide the numbers, just stating the overwhelming majority polled still didn't find the name offensive.

He kept telling me I was just giving my opinion.

I just shook my head.

I have always come back to one simple fact... and that is that no one has ever used the term 'Redskin' as an epithet. I literally have never heard a single instance, not even in old western movies, of someone using that term, much less as a disparaging epithet, racist characterization, or insult. If you go to a crowded movie theater and start shouting 'Redskin!' no one will blink an eye, other than wondering why you're shouting an NFL team name. It simply doesn't have a negative connotation and unless you want to go back to the 1800's where maybe some used that term???

I liken it to our use of 'Whites' and 'Blacks'. Those could absolutely be seen as racist descriptors... in fact are the definition of racist terms because they seek to describe entire groups of people by their skin color. And yet nearly everyone uses those terms and no one blinks an eye - because they aren't used as an epithet.

If I had ever heard anyone use 'Redskin' as a negative word to describe someone of Native American descent, I would want us to change the name. But I never have, and therefore consider it a made up issue.

Ummm...I hear Cowboy fans use it as a derogatory attribute all the time.

I'm staying out of this one since I believe controlling language more often than not has very different objectives from the ones overtly voiced. It's a dangerous practice to follow - as history has shown in other places at other times. Then again, we're seeing it now....and no one is doing anything about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a fairly balanced history, particularly when it’s coming from the Washington Post. You really have to go way back to the 1700’s and 1800’s to find references of it being used as a slur (other than a single politically incorrect movie reference - and I'd be surprised if there weren't a handful of references to it in the television era).

I propose society immediately adopt the use of ‘whiteskins’ and ‘blackskins’ - since that’s more or less what we mean when we use the terms ‘whites’ and ‘blacks’. Then we’re all on an even playing field, right? :)

Last edited:
I surprise myself though - as I wouldn't really have any problem with the Redskins going back to their original 'Braves' moniker. I can't think of anyone who would find that offensive. There are no NFL Braves. And it would be the only name compromise that wouldn't absolutely undo the history of our franchise since we began as the Boston Braves. Why hasn't anyone thought of this previously?

if they change the name, I am out. I now only really watch the Skins and Browns because they're local. If they change the name I am just done.

Not being dramatic. Not being "that guy". I just will get off the bus and walk away.

I've always said that as well. But again, I think *reverting* to the original name would be different than 'changing the name'. I could probably live with it. I do get tired of the never-ending media outcry. I also have no problem if Snyder stands his ground for reasons already mentioned.

I would entertain it...but, ALL OF MY GEAR stays the same LOL

The BGO twitter account mentioned something earlier today. The team name could change to "Braves" and the organization would keep the team colors and go to another logo like the old spear or a spear with an arrowhead.

The song would not change either - "Braves on the warpath".

Until now, I didn't like any suggestions out there. This one makes a lot of sense. Most Redskins fans would probably get behind this idea and most of the mob across the nation would be fine with it as well.

If I was Dan Snyder, I would go to the league first and secretly negotiate the change. The league could be a big help with getting that new stadium being built - and probably something nicer than is being envisioned now. Good negotiations could put that stadium at the Oxon Hill farm location - Maryland would love it. DC could donate the land just across the Oxon Creek for parking. The MGM has plenty of land behind it for more businesses, especially restaurants. Virginia could toss in a few hotels along the Potomac in Belle Haven, Dangerfield Island, and Jones Point Park. Virginia could also widen Rt 1 and G.W. Memorial Pkwy in that area to eight lanes each, thus making access to Reagan National quick and easy.

I'm sure this will be picked apart, but we need to be open to a name change. Why not get some perks in the process?

Right away on Twitter there were the 'that's racist too!' crowd comments... although let's be honest, those folks can't explain why 'Braves' would be racist, other than to say using any kind of cultural imagery of any kind is 'racist'. Those same people no doubt call folks 'whites' and 'blacks' but, yeah, 'Braves' would also be racist. I think the point is, no matter what we do, there will be some psychotic few who will find something horribly wrong with it. I think you ignore that kind of noise. But if the heat and harassment gets bad enough, I could live with this if I had to.

I do think though, having said 'We will NEVER change the name!' it is almost impossible to backtrack from it.

You guys are way ahead of me. I'm still trying to figure out how it is using the N-word is verbotten except for the victims of this racist slur who use it every day.
The BGO twitter account mentioned something earlier today. The team name could change to "Braves" and the organization would keep the team colors and go to another logo like the old spear or a spear with an arrowhead.

The song would not change either - "Braves on the warpath".

Until now, I didn't like any suggestions out there. This one makes a lot of sense. Most Redskins fans would probably get behind this idea and most of the mob across the nation would be fine with it as well.

If I was Dan Snyder, I would go to the league first and secretly negotiate the change. The league could be a big help with getting that new stadium being built - and probably something nicer than is being envisioned now. Good negotiations could put that stadium at the Oxon Hill farm location - Maryland would love it. DC could donate the land just across the Oxon Creek for parking. The MGM has plenty of land behind it for more businesses, especially restaurants. Virginia could toss in a few hotels along the Potomac in Belle Haven, Dangerfield Island, and Jones Point Park. Virginia could also widen Rt 1 and G.W. Memorial Pkwy in that area to eight lanes each, thus making access to Reagan National quick and easy.

I'm sure this will be picked apart, but we need to be open to a name change. Why not get some perks in the process?

Sorry BB: not a chance. It's wrong on principle and it's a classic slippery slope bargain.

Don't know about the rest of you....but I'm amused by all this. The very same people who want the name banished? They also want the NFL gone. Much larger forces in play here.

Kinda echoing Mike that if Dan caves into the PC warriors it would be damn tough to still follow the team. I’d switch gears from rabid to meh as soon as the renaming commenced.

I think it’s also true that feeling that way now but actually following through with walking away in reality are two different things. But I get the sentiment as I’ve said for years that would be my anticipated response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.