• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Big shout out to Mr. Cooper. Who did a fine job, on short notice, at LG. We can only hope that we stumbled into Lauvoa's permanent, upgraded replacement.

Also Cassanova McKinzy. Looks like a natural pass rusher. Time will tell. But he made a good first impression. IMO

I know if we make the playoffs we'll get the, "We were lucky/division sucked/blahblahblah".

I don't know how many people in here follow baseball and if you do how many are Orioles fans or Nats fans. But as an Orioles fan I can tell you, the best thing that can happen in a season is for your division to suck. No matter how competent the Orioles are, they are still in a division with the Yankees and Red Sox. They basically have to hope one or both of those teams have a bad year to have a shot at the playoffs. The Nats for the most part have had a weak division and would run away with their division. During the recent 4 year stretch where the Orioles we're competitive, I'd have rather them played in the less competitive NL East than the AL East.

That small example is why I've never understood fans that complaint about the division not being good and that's the only reason they won. Who wants to play the juggernaut team twice every year. Not me. I want all my opponents to suck, especially the division ones. The goal is to get into the playoffs and then to win the next game. After you win that one, you win the next one, etc until you win the Super Bowl. There have been plenty of teams that lucked into the playoffs or scrapped their way in that went on deep playoff runs. Heck, the stupid iggles were expected to lose every game in the playoffs and won the SB.

Enjoy the win people. The next game is it's own entity. They will either win or lose and then they go to the next game. As I said earlier, I don't care how they win as long as they win. Smoke and mirrors to win a game is better than outplaying a team and having them pull the rabbit out of the hat to win. For so many games the last many years, the Redskins were the Bucs yesterday. Maybe the tables have turned on this bad luck or whatever people want to call it when they lose and we all scratch our heads wondering how they blew another one they should have won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't care if you like it or not. It's true! You didn't even watch the whole game...you cannot see in the highlights how lucky we got. Yes, the defense stopped the Bucs on critical series that helped us cement the victory, but they also got torched for MORE THAN 500 yards putting themselves in positions of absolute need to come up with big plays.

Thank goodness we got lucky or we could easily have lost with the defense bailing themselves out several times! If you don't consider 2 missed FG's, and a bone headed play by their QB as pure dumb luck, then you're discounting reality. That is a possible 13 points alone.

Yes, we won today, every one on this site is excited about that as am I. But what I refuse to be told is that my concerns about our TERRIBLE offense is out of line, and that stating our QB sucks is not allowed!

"Alex Smith doesn't know the offense, the injuries should be taken in context"...blah blah blah! Our OL played a very solid game today, patch work that it was. If it weren't for a few poorly timed penalties, that killed a couple of long plays by our RB's it would have been a stellar performance. So tell me, why couldn't Alex Smith come up with more than 178 yards and a TD? "Oh but he didn't throw any INT's." Who cares? He made terrible throws throughout the day that left points out there.

Then I'm told I'd rather see a pretty loss than an ugly win? Well you know what, **** that! Colt McCoy gives us a better chance to win in the long run, than Alex Smith does. But but, "Colt might throw INT's." Well, at least he'll take some chances down field. The incompletion to Davis was akin to an INT.

What I'd like to see is a consistent winner in DC, not get overly excited about a 6-3 start that has shown how VERY LUCKY to be where we are. We're not bad, we're not good, we're just good enough! And if I want to bitch about Alex Smith after an ugly loss, I'm going to scream it from the rooftops...you don't like it, block me from the site!

Firstly, I watched 90% of it - and that made me laugh since you pronounced a year or two ago that you weren't watching them anymore (but that didn't stop you from commenting and stating your opinion).

Look...this isn't that complicated. We are often winning by the skin of our teeth, or inexplicably despite stat lines. But you're wrong on one front - it's not because on one factor (AP) or even several. We are at risk to win or lose for a multitude of reasons. People rightfully criticise Alex Smith. But it is a fact that his teams have almost always had a winning record at mid-season, and a good part of the reason for that is that he doesn't turn the ball over. I think the idea that what we've seen from him so far in DC is his 'ceiling' or 'typical' of him is silly. He's rarely going to put up Kirk yards. But a combination of things, new team, new offense, rotating cast due to injuries, and a lack of capable WR play - has all played a part. I have no doubt that Colt would look better if he were in there. He's been in this offense the entire time. But he's not going to be the start the next 3 or 4 years - Smith is. You also don't pull your starter when the passing game is already shaky because your QB isn't getting enough yards or throwing enough TDs - because those things don't happen in isolation. He has missed throws - plenty of them. Then again, we don't know why, do we? I think there's enough past history to look at that 'he sucks' is not likely the real reason. The last reason you don't pull your starting QB is that it is disruptive at a time when we are winning, have a 2 game lead in our division, and may soon get some offensive starters and help back.

I want a much better offense. But the good hasn't been 'all AP', nor has the ugly been all Alex Smith - that's just factually incorrect. Nor have our losses been all on our offense. In fact, I think you can argue that it's been the D that collapsed in our losses. We aren't going to win shootouts with New Orleans, no matter who is under center. And our D, great as they've been at times, made Matt Ryan look like Drew Brees.

Finally - I'd be a lot less pissy with my posts if you could wait 15 minutes after a win before gutting the team and starting in on the dire predictions. It's not my place to tell you what to post - post whatever you want (which is exactly what we all do). I'm just saying, don't be surprised that you get pushback when immediately after a huge win, you are crushing the team.

Mostly agree, Knight. With a few differences.

In all likelihood, fans thinking positive/negative about the team, has zero effect on how the team does.

But how people think, be it positive, or negative, is a choice. That is indisputable. Both sides can sight a plethora of reasons why they chose their mindset. I will argue that positive thinkers, always lean positive, in everything they do. Just as negative thinkers, lean negative, in everything they do. It's a total mindset. You're either on the positive side, or the negative. Negative thinkers often claim that they are not always negative. But they are wrong. They can't see it. It's a hard thing to acknowledge. But being positive allows one to enjoy whatever small amounts of good that come along. Being negative keeps one in a constant state of unhappiness. Unable to truly enjoy the good things in football, and in life.

As for the future of the team, I don't give a rats ass about the upcoming offseason, or next years draft.
I want to win as many games this season as we can.
I hope we can make it to the playoffs.
And I know, if we make it, we have a shot at winning it all. Because I've been watching football for 50+years. I don't care about probabilities or most likelihoods.
I care about possibilities. And anybody who doesn't think it's at least, possible, however unlikely, doesn't know shit from Shinola.

Absolutes are almost never correct. The idea that people are either 100% positive or negative - that's nonsense. I have vacillated between those two extremes all season. I've been elated over some amazing wins and absolutely wanted to turn in my fan card in disgust with losses like the Saints and Falcons disasters. It's great to have a positive attitude. Negativity certainly adds little to our happiness in life. But those who lean negatively towards this team (or who, even in a winning season, are downright pessimistic) did not develop those feelings in a vacuum. They aren't 'lesser' fans (not that you stated they are). I think a lot of fans, as Knight or others referenced, develop a pessimistic attitude as a form of 'whistling past the graveyard'. It's tough, as we all know, to start believing things can work out and great things are to come, only to have hopes dashed over and over again. That pretty much describes the NFL fan experience for all of but a handful of teams in a given year, right? So people have the choice to sort of blindly hope and believe good things will happen, or they preemptively brace themselves for ultimate disappointment by embracing it in the now. It's just human nature.

Bottom line - we are all great friends here and we can experience it all in our own way.

Big shout out to Mr. Cooper. Who did a fine job, on short notice, at LG. We can only hope that we stumbled into Lauvoa's permanent, upgraded replacement.

Also Cassanova McKinzy. Looks like a natural pass rusher. Time will tell. But he made a good first impression. IMO

Gruden embraced Cooper as he left the field and was really happy with him. And yeah, McKinzy had a couple of pretty impressive plays. I loved that Gruden was pissed off and angry yesterday. I lip-read more obscenities flying from his mouth yesterday than I've seen in a long time. I like that Jay a lot more than passive professional Jay.

We have a 2 game lead in the division after 9. I don't care what the reasons might be for that. Crappy division, luck, planet alignment, whatever. We all know the team is not a juggernaut destined to power through the post season on the way to a SB victory. Not unless something drastically changes. But I can suspend that reality and enjoy being the lead dog for a while. Heck, the Eagles have most, if not all, of what some are bitching we don't, and they're 2 games behind us.

Absolutes are almost never correct. The idea that people are either 100% positive or negative - that's nonsense. I have vacillated between those two extremes all season. I've been elated over some amazing wins and absolutely wanted to turn in my fan card in disgust with losses like the Saints and Falcons disasters. It's great to have a positive attitude. Negativity certainly adds little to our happiness in life. But those who lean negatively towards this team (or who, even in a winning season, are downright pessimistic) did not develop those feelings in a vacuum. They aren't 'lesser' fans (not that you stated they are). I think a lot of fans, as Knight or others referenced, develop a pessimistic attitude as a form of 'whistling past the graveyard'. It's tough, as we all know, to start believing things can work out and great things are to come, only to have hopes dashed over and over again. That pretty much describes the NFL fan experience for all of but a handful of teams in a given year, right? So people have the choice to sort of blindly hope and believe good things will happen, or they preemptively brace themselves for ultimate disappointment by embracing it in the now. It's just human nature.

Bottom line - we are all great friends here and we can experience it all in our own way.

All true. But my assertion was that people generally lean one way or the other, in everything they do. We all have moments of full blown negativity. It's the easier route. It takes no effort. And, I would say that most people lean towards the negative precisely because it is easy.

But for myself, it's cliché city. It's never over, 'til it's over. Anything's possible. We're still in it. Etc...

In the few times I've been in the chatroom here for games, we got guys going full negative, "We're all going to die!!!" if we lose the friggin coin toss. (Hyperbole for emphasis)
That's a negative thinker. The first thought that comes to their mind is gloom and doom.

My mind immediately goes to what we need to happen in order to win. I am a bastard child of James Tiberius Kirk.

All true. But my assertion was that people generally lean one way or the other, in everything they do. We all have moments of full blown negativity. It's the easier route. It takes no effort. And, I would say that most people lean towards the negative precisely because it is easy.

But for myself, it's cliché city. It's never over, 'til it's over. Anything's possible. We're still in it. Etc...

In the few times I've been in the chatroom here for games, we got guys going full negative, "We're all going to die!!!" if we lose the friggin coin toss. (Hyperbole for emphasis)
That's a negative thinker. The first thought that comes to their mind is gloom and doom.

My mind immediately goes to what we need to happen in order to win. I am a bastard child of James Tiberius Kirk.

That last line made me chuckle.... Doesn't that make you David Marcus? (Plays Geek card!)

There are times to be honest where the Chat room descends into doom and gloom and I have to admit I stay out of those conversations. I'll criticise a bad play or a bone head move, but I always think that we're going to pull a rabbit out of the hat and win. Just like even with 17 seconds on the clock last night I was afraid the Buccs were going to hit a long score and then return an onside kick to score again. I only feel safe in a win when there's 00:00 on the clock, and by the same token I only give up when there's 00:00 on the clock. LOL

Generally. :D

Texans game is going to be a big test. Texans have an identical record with 2 of their 3 losses coming on the road, but after starting 0-3, have rattled off 6 straight wins. In looking more closely at their record, it's not as impressive. They lost to the Giants and Titans early on. Their 'winning streak' has come against the Colts, Cowboys, Bills, Jags, Dolphins, and Broncos with not a winning record in the bunch (Dolphins are the best of the lot at 5-5). Two of their wins came in OT.

Gotta think the game plan will center on containing Deshaun Watson and forcing him to beat us from the pocket... He has been sacked 30 (!) times in 2018. Bad news is, he's also thrown 17 TDs to just 7 INTs.

Am I surprised Cooper played a solid game? No.

Am I surprised Maurice Harris is as productive as Josh Doctson? No.

It's been my observation all along that Shawn Lauvao and Doctson in terms of straight performance are at or below replacement level.

It's ironic that on defense we keep stockpiling talent including the Dix trade while on offense we don't seem willing to move the needle.

We are getting old on offense.

Smith is 34, Davis is 34, Peterson is 33, Trent Williams is 30. Even our backup quarterback McCoy is 32.

Regardless of how 2018 finishes we are going to need to rebuild the offensive unit especially at the skill positions.

We need to start developing a younger qb as we can see now that Smith, 2017 excepted, is not even a mild playmaker.

I think Bulldog is correct. You can't rebuild everywhere at once. It's a process and I am confident we'll see the focus shift to offense in the next couple of drafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Lots of drama after a win. C'mon guys, it's just football. :)

Welp, for once the other team was the Norv Turner team. Totally dominated in every stat but the one that matters. I for one am happy we won't be seeing Fitzpatrick again. I swear, he is the best bad quarterback I've ever seen.

Anyway, we look like a 8- or 9-win team that has gotten some good bounces, and that's fine. If we pull out 10 or 11 wins I won't feel the slightest bit guilty about it. We are LONG overdue for a little luck around here.

I'll be expecting a bit of a drop off and a 9-7 season, but I'll be rooting for a little more. If we get to the playoffs and win a game ... that would be something.

By the by, I know the Texans look daunting, but they've had an even lighter schedule than we have. Just sayin.

I will say I was pleasantly surprised with the OL play in the game. Maybe having a week to practice together instead of being thrown to the wolves mid-game does make a difference. :) They weren't All-Pros, but they did a good enough job.

The Skins have given me years of false starts and Charlie Brown footballs to get me excited about the team yet. And for sure, they aren't solidly winning the games, but it's got to start somewhere. You don't become a consistent juggernaught overnight. I wouldn't say our offense is a super star, but they seem to not be making a ton of mistakes and can keep us in games. The defense does seem to be more legit though. Much like they were before injuries decimated the DL last year.

Are we the Patriots? Heck no? Are we the Ravens of 2012? Possibly. We've got holes, but I'd take the playoffs holes and all. And I wouldn't take that to mean we don't need to improve in areas.

I for one am happy we won't be seeing Fitzpatrick again.

You sure about that ? Ha
I think we've faced him 6 times, and we're like 2-4 against him.
So I see a regular pattern of playing him every couple years.
If you mean, again this season, well in this crazy league, a playoff matchup is still possible.

Last edited:
Am I surprised Cooper played a solid game? No.

Am I surprised Maurice Harris is as productive as Josh Doctson? No.

It's been my observation all along that Shawn Lauvao and Doctson in terms of straight performance are at or below replacement level.

It's ironic that on defense we keep stockpiling talent including the Dix trade while on offense we don't seem willing to move the needle.

We are getting old on offense.

Smith is 34, Davis is 34, Peterson is 33, Trent Williams is 30. Even our backup quarterback McCoy is 32.

Regardless of how 2018 finishes we are going to need to rebuild the offensive unit especially at the skill positions.

We need to start developing a younger qb as we can see now that Smith, 2017 excepted, is not even a mild playmaker.

I agree with a lot of this, but I would like to see them address he offense like they have addressed the defense, by dedicating draft resources to the offensive line. The Skins offensive line is good when healthy, but it's rarely healthy and that's not a fluke. I'm disappointed in Smith, but I just assume they continue being mediocre with him for another season or 2 while they build up the oline.

I personally believe that the skins have had their best 2 offseasons of the Snyder era these past 2 years by drafting 3 studs on the dline, something they haven't done for 20 years. I'd like to see them continue that philosophy with the offense. If they could draft a few studs on the oline, they would have a great foundation to build upon for years to come.

I believe the NFC east is still won in the trenches.

Unless you're "Hollywood" Josh Norman.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1...-better-on-road-home-fans-just-boo-everything

I'm just finished with this clown.

I'm curious if there's truth to his comments. IMO Norman isn't doing himself any favors but if the stands are full of opposing jerseys I get why he's frustrated.

The skins need to play better on both sides of the ball for the stands to fill up with burgundy again. He should probably clarify that's what he wants though.

Is the FedEx experience actually a shitty one nowadays?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 1, Guests: 4)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.