• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

How many first round quarterbacks come into the NFL and hit the ground running?

50% end up being backups or outright busts and out of the league in several years.

Trevor Lawrence was used to the glare of media and high profile throughout college and still has had some growing pains.

Two years ago Daniels was a nobody.

I would expect all QBs arriving in the NFL are humbled if only because of the massive spike in talent they are facing. The smart ones do everything they can to learn and adjust and improve.

I don’t think anyone should view Daniels as an RG3 type. All he’s done is get better and it appears his work ethic and personal drive is what got him here. He deserves the benefit of the doubt until he shows he’s not the QB/person his college career indicates he is.

I was laughing at the notion that Daniels was humbled by his transition to the SEC.

It’s going to be interesting to circle back in a year and see where we are re the picks.

We seem to agree that the draft is a crapshoot overall but at the same time some folks seem wedded to certain prospects as if our collective sports lives depend on their selection.

Last edited:
One thing you need to take into account Daniels is 23 going on 24, the kids he plays against are 18-21 was his last season him being older and stronger than the younger guys and more experienced or did he really get that much better. Will next season be a major drop off due to the talent he is playing with and against

He’s definitely more polished and experienced than some of the other QBs available. He’s also damned good at what he does, so in my mind he’s already demonstrated he can play at a super high level. I don’t think Maye and McCarthy have yet. Doesn’t mean one or both won’t end up better QBs than Daniels but right now he is clearly better.

JJ McCarthy never responded to a invite from the league to attend the draft. He has also rented a house in Detroit to host upwards of 100 friends and family on draft night.

If that were another highly rated QB prospect half of the fan base would be making it a character concern red flag. 😉

I actually think that speaks positively about his character! But yes - I think you’re right.

Maye is 21. Daniels is 24.

Daniels didn’t emerge as a top prospect until 2023.

Perhaps the upside on Maye may be higher given that they are both rated first round picks right now.

The more I see the more I am apt to believe a really confident coach and GM should take Maye because some patience is called for.

If Harbaugh or Tomlin were looking for a quarterback in the top 4-5 picks I would feel good about him going to SD or PITT.

These coaches have a wide berth and like Andy Reid have the latitude to go with a gut call.

For a team like Washington with a group process and new hires in each position the human tendency is to be risk averse and go with the guy with a higher floor coming in and that’s definitely not Maye.

True but SD and Pitt don’t have Mariotta, Driskell, and Fromm as the only QBs on their rosters. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Agreed those players are not going to lead a team to 11-6 and playoffs.

So if you are looking for victories in 2024 and that is really important for your franchise getting off the ground with new leadership then you focus on the here and now.

My point is that established coaches/GMs often have a bit greater latitude to make moves for the future as their record gives them the credibility to say to the media and fans that winning is more than a one year process coming in and some patience is required.

Again, I don’t disagree. But, in the majority of cases such coaches are not drafting high enough to be faced with that decision.

Reid, I believe, in the year he selected Mahomes was already planning to move on from Alex Smith.

No one should expect any QB to be leading this team to 11 wins and the playoffs this season. I honestly don't care if we draft a guy at 2 and then sit him behind Marietta for part or all of the 2024 season.

I believe we should be realistically aiming for serious competitiveness in 2026.

No one should expect any QB to be leading this team to 11 wins and the playoffs this season. I honestly don't care if we draft a guy at 2 and then sit him behind Marietta for part or all of the 2024 season.

I believe we should be realistically aiming for serious competitiveness in 2026.
Damn straight.

I expect twelve wins.

;)

• Fist Bump
Reactions: Om
After all this successful secrecy, it might be disappointing if we weren't surprised.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.