• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Project 11 - Alex Smith Recovery Story

DudeRedskin

The UDFA
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Wow. Watching the E:60 on Alex Smith and all the complications surrounding his surgeries. I never knew how bad this thing got for him. The sepsis and debridement were unreal, and grotesque. I just hope this man gets back to a good place, even though his attitude through all of this has been nothing less than amazing. Best of all possible wishes Alex; get better buddy.

Thanks for starting this DR - I was about to do the same.

Wow is right. I suspected Smith's infection was necrotizing fasciitis and it turns out that is exactly what caused him so much trauma and difficulty. He's lucky to be alive, even more fortunate he still has that leg, and the fact the he is even considering continuing to pursue a football career is nothing short of miraculous. He is one amazing man, and his wife and family are equally amazing.

I've heard a lot of internet idiots dissing his physicians and surgeons and playing the blame game which is always so easy to do when things go badly. All of them can kiss my ass, as they have no idea what they are talking about. I referenced this possibility before, but Smith unfortunately experienced necrotizing fasciitis, or more commonly called a 'flesh eating bacteria' infection. Most who have that misfortune don't live to talk about it. Those physicians saved this man's life and leg and future in bold and miraculous fashion. Period. Medicine, even modern medicine, is not magic. Bad things happen despite every skilled effort. In this case, everything that could go wrong did. And yet the medical staff continued to fight, as did Alex and his family, and ultimately prevailed.

Truly inspiring man and story.

No one wants to bring it up... but can he return? Can he be an NFL QB again? Should we want it for him?

Last edited:
necrotising fascitis only recently became a thing, didnt a couple of browns get it? it makes me wonder what the hell is going on. a guy from my league got it from really bad turf burn in the late 90's, he ended up having his leg amputated. think about that, a friggin rug rash and boom leg amputated. its crazy that smith is gonna try play again and I for one and gonna cheer for him.

He is one amazing man, and his wife and family are equally amazing.

Truly inspiring man and story.

No one wants to bring it up... but can he return? Can he be an NFL QB again? Should we want it for him?

Agreed on all points. His wife is a strong woman, and, dare I say, 100% gorgeous. Alex did well for himself there. I don't know that he can return, or that he should, but he seems to be able to handle it however it turns out. I wish I had this man's intestinal fortitude, or even a fraction of it. Just goes to show that great professional athletes are so much more than physical ability alone; their minds, their spirit, are equally important, if not more so.

I think we, as fans, sometimes forget these guys are real people. Sadly it takes real-life, as we saw with Sean Taylor and now Alex Smith, to remind us.

Yeah they are human beings with feelings. As they are just human like we are.

Yeah was just about to post that tweet. Hope they have an office job for Alex at the park next year. Dude has mentored some good qb’s, well worth hiring him imho

Side note: Suzy Kolber is still looking cute

Last edited:

Attachments

• A15820A6-863A-4FEE-8D5B-39BD480ABCA4.jpeg
    A15820A6-863A-4FEE-8D5B-39BD480ABCA4.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 191
“I really couldn’t care less that Alex Smith is strug-ga-ling. you’re so pretty, Suzy, I wanna kiss you... ”

Just watched it tonight... wow. The fact that he can even play catch with his kids is a victory. If he finds a way to suit up in a meaningful way on gameday is a miracle. A part of me hopes he does it. Even if he never touches the field during a game, the mountain he climbed is nothing short of a miracle. That man deserves a ring, if were lucky he does it as a member of our front office. ;)

Yeah I’d rather he not suit up because going through that again? I mean he’s one tough sumbitch but having that happen twice, playing for the same team? IMHO it’s like Shanahan sending RG3 back to the field just after his knee was done for.

if it were me I’d give him vp of whatever Doug Williams job entails, right off the bat.

Edit: I’d get him a bomb ass Segway to travel around the compound too.

Last edited:
I totally understand that sentiment.

If Alex were my son I know exactly the council I would provide. Using two song parts-

Don’t pull on Superman’s cape
Don’t spit into the wind
Don’t pull the mask off the ‘ol Lone Ranger

Turn the page

No chance at this point his Wife signs off on it
No chance at this point a medical professional signs off on it
No chance at this point an NFL front office signs off of on it
No chance at this point a HC signs off on it
No chance at this point his AGENT signs off on it.

I said at this point because I GUESS things could change as it heals, but I just don't see it. The fact that he can play catch with is kids is a victory. I think Alex is smart enough to understand that.

I do think it would be cool to see him in uniform and allow him to take a snap in victory formation or something to that extent. That is very unlikely as roster spots are so valuable, especially on Sundays, so dressing Alex Smith for the extent of a game hoping that we have the ball with the clock winding down and a lead so that scenario could come to fruition is a stretch. Maybe next year if we are in a meaningless game in week 17/18, but it's highly unlikely.

I think all those 'No Chance' options you list are the very reason he's fighting so hard.

Smith strikes me as a man who feeds off that kind of thing. To prove that there is a chance to do it.

I'd LOVE to see him take a snap this year, even if it's simply something symbolic to see him complete that journey before they offer him a job in the organisation somewhere he can make a difference.
It was nice to see Haskins come out and praise the guy, and it's reported that he mentored Mahomes wonderfully and before that was supportive of Kapernick back in the day. He's the kind of guy I feel we NEED around this organisation.

He may have played less than a season for us in real terms, but with that type of character I hope he sticks around longterm as a Redskins. It feels like he'll land a role somewhere in the league and I think we'd be missing out if it wasn't here.

No chance at this point his Wife signs off on it
No chance at this point a medical professional signs off on it
No chance at this point an NFL front office signs off of on it
No chance at this point a HC signs off on it
No chance at this point his AGENT signs off on it.

I said at this point because I GUESS things could change as it heals, but I just don't see it. The fact that he can play catch with is kids is a victory. I think Alex is smart enough to understand that.

I do think it would be cool to see him in uniform and allow him to take a snap in victory formation or something to that extent. That is very unlikely as roster spots are so valuable, especially on Sundays, so dressing Alex Smith for the extent of a game hoping that we have the ball with the clock winding down and a lead so that scenario could come to fruition is a stretch. Maybe next year if we are in a meaningless game in week 17/18, but it's highly unlikely.

Due respect brother, but despite watching the horror of what he's gone through, I think you may be wrong. First question I'll ask is, if they gave him zero chance of returning, why wouldn't they have done an injury settlement with him, wished him the best, and moved on. They could still do that of course, but it seems odd to me that they haven't yet. I don't think they are ruling out a return. Is it a steep climb? Yes. Is it impossible - I don't think so. Here's why.

Smith's injury and all of the complications he suffered were truly horrific. We're in shock because now we've seen how bad it was. But as bad as it was, at it's core, Smith suffered a broken leg. A terribly broken leg, but a broken leg. Bones eventually heal. He's probably got a significant amount of titanium hardware there. The bone itself may be stronger now (in terms of being at risk for a break) than previously. Only the surgeons/MDs know how well it has healed. The other issue, and it's no small one, is the muscle/tissue loss requiring grafting, and how much function he has had returned. Beyond the healing of that bone, and the strength and function he'll get back, there are no issues. He almost lost the leg (and potentially his life) because of infection. He's at no more risk long-term for those things than we are.

So it really comes down to a couple things. How well has that leg healed, and how functional is that repaired leg? If he ever does play again, it certainly won't be in the style he played before. He's not going to be taking off down the field at will.

The NFL can't 'stop' him from playing.
His wife clearly understands her husband the that 'drive' and 'fire' she spoke about in 'Project 11'. She won't be able to stop him from trying to come back. It's already in progress.
The team physicians, if he is healed, won't be able to find anything medical to rule him out.
Why would the agent want to stop him?
And the only thing the coaches care about is whether he can perform.

That's really the question. Can he perform given the state of that leg and his functional abilities post-recovery?

'No chance'? Not ready to say that, particularly from a medical viewpoint. I actually think the psychological aspect might be a bigger factor. You can't play in fear at that position, and how could he not have been traumatized by what he's been through? He is one tough SOB - I'll give him that.

I sort of hope you're right and he calls it a career. He's been through enough without putting his body through any more punishment.

Due respect brother, but despite watching the horror of what he's gone through, I think you may be wrong. First question I'll ask is, if they gave him zero chance of returning, why wouldn't they have done an injury settlement with him, wished him the best, and moved on. They could still do that of course, but it seems odd to me that they haven't yet. I don't think they are ruling out a return. Is it a steep climb? Yes. Is it impossible - I don't think so. Here's why.

Smith's injury and all of the complications he suffered were truly horrific. We're in shock because now we've seen how bad it was. But as bad as it was, at it's core, Smith suffered a broken leg. A terribly broken leg, but a broken leg. Bones eventually heal. He's probably got a significant amount of titanium hardware there. The bone itself may be stronger now (in terms of being at risk for a break) than previously. Only the surgeons/MDs know how well it has healed. The other issue, and it's no small one, is the muscle/tissue loss requiring grafting, and how much function he has had returned. Beyond the healing of that bone, and the strength and function he'll get back, there are no issues. He almost lost the leg (and potentially his life) because of infection. He's at no more risk long-term for those things than we are.

So it really comes down to a couple things. How well has that leg healed, and how functional is that repaired leg? If he ever does play again, it certainly won't be in the style he played before. He's not going to be taking off down the field at will.

The NFL can't 'stop' him from playing.
His wife clearly understands her husband the that 'drive' and 'fire' she spoke about in 'Project 11'. She won't be able to stop him from trying to come back. It's already in progress.
The team physicians, if he is healed, won't be able to find anything medical to rule him out.
Why would the agent want to stop him?
And the only thing the coaches care about is whether he can perform.

That's really the question. Can he perform given the state of that leg and his functional abilities post-recovery?

'No chance'? Not ready to say that, particularly from a medical viewpoint. I actually think the psychological aspect might be a bigger factor. You can't play in fear at that position, and how could he not have been traumatized by what he's been through? He is one tough SOB - I'll give him that.

I sort of hope you're right and he calls it a career. He's been through enough without putting his body through any more punishment.

I hope I don't have to preface this, but I will. Clearly this is all my speculation and I will point out that these things could change.

It was a bit of a blow hard way to make the point, but the bigger point is there are a lot of people outside of just Alex that need to agree this. I guess I should have said "I highly doubt" instead of 'no chance.'

The NFL absolutely can stop him, even it's not them saying "you're not playing." The NFL can do whatever they want in the 'interest of protecting the shield." They have been dealing with concussion issues and there are now 3 segments of people watching every NFL game that with the press of a button can get a player pulled off the field and evaluated. They then have to go through MULTIPLE evaluations prior to the a player being allowed back on the field. Wanna see how hard it is? Ask Jordan Reed. I would venture to guess that the NFL would have to get involved before Alex was given clearance to touch a football field, because if he's allowed to go out there and something were to give, it could be disastrous to the image.

His wife does clearly understand, but everyone who has been married for more than 10 min knows, your spouse can understand your passion but they have their limit. Watching that episode, you could see it in her face how hard it was hitting her.

The team physicians have the ability to write a physical, and it varies from team to team. Health clearance is a judgement call. To be able to get cleared could be very difficult for him depending on the language of the testing.

His agent, you would hope, would have his best interest at heart. His agent also understand that he likely represents Alex in his life within football after his playing days are done. I guess I'm giving him too much credit, but I would hope his Agent has his ear when speaking on a professional level. You're probably right that he's got his money so he does not have any real vested interest in Alex's health...

As far as coaches, again i guess this is rooted into me thinking he can never get back to healthy enough to perform. Probably jaded by my own opinions.

Let me conclude that I am 100% rooting for Alex. I want him to return, suit up and be a viable NFL QB because he appears to deserve that. I'm not saying I don't WANT him to succeed, just feel like the hill is just too much to climb.

If he were ever to play in a live game again I would have to watch through the spaces as I covered my eyes.

I hope I don't have to preface this, but I will. Clearly this is all my speculation and I will point out that these things could change.

It was a bit of a blow hard way to make the point, but the bigger point is there are a lot of people outside of just Alex that need to agree this. I guess I should have said "I highly doubt" instead of 'no chance.'

The NFL absolutely can stop him, even it's not them saying "you're not playing." The NFL can do whatever they want in the 'interest of protecting the shield." They have been dealing with concussion issues and there are now 3 segments of people watching every NFL game that with the press of a button can get a player pulled off the field and evaluated. They then have to go through MULTIPLE evaluations prior to the a player being allowed back on the field. Wanna see how hard it is? Ask Jordan Reed. I would venture to guess that the NFL would have to get involved before Alex was given clearance to touch a football field, because if he's allowed to go out there and something were to give, it could be disastrous to the image.

His wife does clearly understand, but everyone who has been married for more than 10 min knows, your spouse can understand your passion but they have their limit. Watching that episode, you could see it in her face how hard it was hitting her.

The team physicians have the ability to write a physical, and it varies from team to team. Health clearance is a judgement call. To be able to get cleared could be very difficult for him depending on the language of the testing.

His agent, you would hope, would have his best interest at heart. His agent also understand that he likely represents Alex in his life within football after his playing days are done. I guess I'm giving him too much credit, but I would hope his Agent has his ear when speaking on a professional level. You're probably right that he's got his money so he does not have any real vested interest in Alex's health...

As far as coaches, again i guess this is rooted into me thinking he can never get back to healthy enough to perform. Probably jaded by my own opinions.

Let me conclude that I am 100% rooting for Alex. I want him to return, suit up and be a viable NFL QB because he appears to deserve that. I'm not saying I don't WANT him to succeed, just feel like the hill is just too much to climb.

You can't compare this to Jordan Reed. Reed literally risks further brain injury if he continues to play. It's ironic that you used that as an analogy, since even with Jordan Reed, the NFL isn't blocking him from attempting to play. They should. It's literally criminal that they aren't. But he's still out there. The only thing Alex Smith risks is breaking that leg again. Not being his surgeon/MD, it's impossible to know if that's more or less likely. Like I mentioned previously, despite the horrible nature of his injury (the spiral fracture alone was bad enough, but the fact that it was a compound fracture, and all the issues that resulted - just terrible), his repaired bone may end up stronger than it was before with all that titanium in place. There would be no basis to medically bar him from playing if the leg passes a physical. Him not being able to be the same QB because he's not as mobile would not be a reason to prohibit him from playing.

I don't give agents as much credit as you do. But ultimately I think the agent is going to do whatever his client wants him to do.

I don't know Smith or his wife, so that dynamic is hard to have an opinion on. But most wives are going to 'support their husband' when push comes to shove.

I really think it comes down to - is that leg fully healed and strong enough that can he get back to being able to play at a high level?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.