• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Post-Game Quotes 9/22: Redskins Players

Dominate!

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

September 22, 2013
FedExField

Quarterback Robert Griffin III

On how he feels after the team has started the season 0-3:
“We had too many mistakes at crucial times. Of course, the fumble and the interception early in the game, we’ve just got to make those plays to win the game. We actually put ourselves in the position to have a real good shot of winning the game and putting it away. The way our guys fought, we just didn't come up with it. We've just got to clean it up.”

On his fumble:
“I was declaring myself down to avoid the big hit coming from the safety that's coming from the middle. Knee down, elbow down, but that's the rule. It could be a sucky rule, but it's still one of the NFL rules. They said, 'It’s a fumble.' It's unfortunate. I just have make sure if I dive forward, hold onto the ball. And if I slide feet first, it's going to fumble.”

On if he consciously lost the football:
“No one consciously loses the football. I hit the ground, thought I was down, and the ball came out. I'm looking at the ref like I was down and they told me I wasn't.”

On if he knew the fumble rule:
“A couple years ago, [New York Giants quarterback] Eli [Manning] did the same thing. He slid face first, fumbled the ball, and they called it a fumble. They changed the rule. I think they changed it back this year.”

On fluidity of the game compared to previous games:
“I think it was a lot more fluid. Our defense was coming up big; we were moving the ball on offense. We were really helping each other out in special teams, offense and defense. I thought everything was a lot more fluid. But you want to come away with that win at the end of the day, and we didn't do that. You’ve just got to go back after it.”

On if he thought the Redskins beat themselves:
“Yeah, I think so. No one wants to be 0-3. We play this game to win. We don't play this game to get more victories and say we did better. You play the game to win and we didn't win. Nobody in this league is going to feel sorry for us sitting at 0-3. Every time you suit up on that field, you've got to be ready to play. Everybody in this league is good. If they're going to point their finger, just point it up and keep your head up. Keep your head up and fight on.”

On the decision to slide feet instead of head first:
“I think it's just an instinct thing. On the sideline, I slid with [Lions safety Glover] Quin coming after me. I slid feet first because I didn't want him to hit me in the face. On the run I had the fumble on, I went face first because they were a little further away. You can't really be out there thinking about that kind of stuff. You've just got to do what happens when you react and hold onto the ball.”

On the overturned touchdown pass to wide receiver Aldrick Robinson:
“It was real frustrating but it's not anyone's fault. We went from a moment of having a lot of excitement to knowing, 'Hey, we’ve got to get back on the field and do it again." The one thing you try to make sure doesn't happen in those situations is you have a negative play. And we had a negative play right afterwards. That can demoralize a team. It was really unfortunate that we lost the game on two judgment calls, but that's just the way the game went today.”

On his assessment of the interception:
“Coming down, I didn't get to see the throw. I got pulled and tackled on. I thought I saw [wide receiver] Pierre [Garçon] coming right back down the stem towards me on the sideline. And when I watched it on the big screen, he actually stepped out of bounds and the corner behind him kept coming down. Another play where if you make the play, it’s a great play, but if you don't, it’s a bad play. And it was a bad play.”

On if the team needs to play with more desperation now that they are 0-3:
“I mean, you want to get that win. I don’t know if 'desperation’ is the right word. No one sitting at 0-3 is going to say, 'Hey, if we go 0-4, it’s all gravy.’ No one’s going to ever say that. We were in this situation last year, sitting at 3-6. We have to dig ourselves out of this hole. We’re the only ones that can do it; no one else is going to do it for us. And nothing that we say at these press conferences or any of that is going to change it. It’s decided on the field, in between the lines, and that’s what we’ve got to do.”

On if the offensive line moved the pocket around more today and if it helped him:
“I think it did help us a lot – moving the pocket. They have a very good front four. [Defensive tackles] Ndamukong Suh and [Nick] Fairley are two of the toughest in the league to block consistently so I thought our offensive line did a good job helping me out there. Moving the pocket definitely helped us get some new openings. ”

On starting 0-3:
“It’s very unfortunate and no matter what’s happened in each of the games, if you told us we’d be 0-3 right now, we’d all be shocked. It’s fine. Sometimes you’ve got to have that wake-up call. I think we’ve had the wake-up call the first two weeks. We played better today but we didn’t get the win, so it’s time for us to dig even deeper and find a way to win football games.”

On how it changed the game when the run was established early:
“I don’t know. I know the threat of the quarterback running definitely helps your offense. They have to play different coverages, and they did the rest of the game. It’s something that we have to be able to use. We were able to use it today because we didn’t get behind the sticks and didn’t get behind in the game so fast so it was good. We got to use a lot of our game plan. I thought our offense moved the ball pretty well. We’ve just got to win, period.”

On the way he played in the second half and if he felt more confident and if the play calling became more aggressive:
“No, I mean we came into halftime and I think it was 17-14 so, no matter what, you’re in the game. It wasn’t 24-0 or 28-0.”

On his second-half play, specifically:
“If you want to ask me questions about myself, I’m not going to sit up here and answer every question from you about myself. So, it is what it is. We lost the game. If you want to pin it on anybody, pin it on me.”

On what similarities there are to starting 3-6 last season and what he and the team can learn from it:
“Similarities – it sucks. The good thing about it is we do have a real family-like atmosphere in our locker room. We have guys who are going to stick together and that’s what you need in times like these. Everybody’s got to dig deep together. We can’t do it individually. No one can do it by themselves. That’s a great thing – you just see it in the locker room. You keep your head up. I mean, you’re not excited about being 0-3, but we’ve still got to go play the next week. We’ve still got to go to work the next day, so I think the guys are doing a good job of that. We’ll dig ourselves out of this hole.”

On the feeling entering the locker room at halftime today versus the previous two games:
“It felt much different. You’re not having to dig yourself out of another hole coming in the second half, playing from behind running two-minute [offense] mostly. We had a chance to win the game, and that’s what you want. When you come in at halftime, you want to have a chance to win it, and we did. We just didn’t come up with it.”

On injuries and how losing tight end Jordan Reed with tight end Fred Davis already out changes things:
“I mean, you don’t want to lose anybody. You don’t want to lose any tight ends – all those guys are playmakers for us. I thought [tight end] Niles [Paul] did a good job coming in and playing even though it wasn’t expected of him. Everybody’s got to be ready and, hopefully, we can get both of those guys back and have some more weapons out on the field.”

Wide Receiver Aldrick Robinson

On his overturned touchdown reception and if he felt he caught the ball:
“When I saw the replay, I saw that the ball was sliding on the ground, but I for sure caught the ball. I had the ball in my left hand, but the camera view was on the right side and then I had it in my right-side hand. I secured the catch and I got up knowing that I secured the catch. When everyone was down, I saw that everyone wasn’t as excited as I was, so it was kind of strange to me. When I saw the replay, I saw what everyone else saw.”

Linebacker London Fletcher

On the game:
“Anytime you don’t win, it’s frustrating. We have to continue to try to get better. It was better today, but it wasn’t good enough. Collectively, we made too many mistakes today.”

On what prompted him to address the team during the week:
“I’ll keep what I said inside the locker room. It was really just that we need to play better.”

On problems that stood out today on defense:
“They had a couple of big plays against us in the passing game. We changed up the game plan to emphasize taking away the run, but we knew they were still going to get a couple of plays in the passing game. I think some of the route combinations they ran to combat what we were doing from a defensive standpoint, they made some adjustments. You have to take your hats off to them, they made some good play calls at the right time.”

Running Back Alfred Morris

On how the team can turn the season around after an 0-3 start:
“Just keep believing in each other and stick together. We’re a family here. A house divided against itself shall fall. I said the same thing after last week. As a team we need to stick together. We have the talent to be 3-0 right now, but right now we just need to knock off the rust and work out the kinks. Penalties really hurt us today.”

On any key plays he felt cost the team the game today:
“The big touchdown getting overruled. That was a momentum-killer for us, definitely, and that would have put us ahead and given us an edge going into the rest of the game, but we didn’t get it. Little things like that definitely hurt us today.”

On how the team can prepare for the game at Oakland next week:
“Go back and watch film – see if there are any areas where we can get better. There was a lot of positive stuff that we did do out here today, but there was a lot of negative stuff that we need to correct to get better. That’s what we’ve got to do to get ready for Oakland – watch the game film from this game and try to get better from it and get prepared for Oakland.”

On if he thought the overturned catch by wide receiver Aldrick Robinson was a touchdown:
“I actually thought he had his hand under the ball. From the angle, you really couldn’t tell. It looked like the ball was on the ground. They overruled it and it’s their job to make calls and that’s the call they made, so there’s nothing you can do about it.”

On the disappointment in the locker room after starting the season 0-3:
“It’s very disappointing. No one wants to start the season off 0-3. That’s tough. That’s a tough pill to swallow, but like I said, we’re still in this thing together. It’s still a long season, but we’re going to try to get a win against Oakland before we go into the bye week.”

On if it is tough to say that there’s still time for improvement when the team has started 0-3:
“Yeah, because you want to do better. Nobody wants to start off rough. You want to start off playing the way you know you can play. We showed it in spurts today. At least we actually got started a little early on, when in the last two games we got started later – usually in the second half. We actually put points on the board today in the first half. With little things like that, you can take some positive from it, but there is also room for improvement as well.”

Cornerback DeAngelo Hall

On how his interception return for a touchdown affected the game:
“It gave us a little bit of momentum, but it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish. We didn’t make the plays we needed to make in the end to win the game.”

On where the team goes from its 0-3 start:
“We’ve got to right the ship, it’s no secret. We’ve got to go out there and get a win, bottom line, by any means necessary. We have to get a win.”

On if a seven-game win streak can happen twice in two years:
“Anything can happen, but you can’t hang your hat on winning seven in a row. We’ve got to come out here and take it one game at a time. We can’t live on what we did last year. That means nothing right now. We have to look in the mirror and be tough on ourselves. We just have to make more plays. We have to get off the field when we need to. We have to tackle, and we have to do a lot of things better.”

Linebacker Brian Orakpo

On what changed to make the defense play better:
“Just our mindset throughout the week, and our preparation. All that carried over into the game, but we have to sustain that for the whole game. I thought we did a great job, but obviously it doesn’t mean anything because we lost.”

On his response to the team’s 0-3 start:
“We’ve got to keep fighting. It’s early in the season and 0-3 doesn’t look good on paper, but there is still a long season. We have a long way to go. We’ve got 13 games, so we can still make it happen. We did it last year, so it’s not demoralizing at all.”

On what went well for the defense:
“The effort. The way we started the game, had three-and-outs and were able to put pressure on them. We were able to stop the run, I think that was key. We’ve got to focus on that each and every game. If we stop the run, everything else will come into play.”

Wide Receiver Pierre Garçon

On how the team is going to bounce back against Oakland next week:
“This is a job, you have to come out and play. This is a business. If you’re not doing your part, they’ll get rid of you and you will be looking for a job. You never want that to happen.”

On key plays in the game:
“There were a lot of key plays. We didn’t do a lot of things right. We didn’t convert our plays on third down, we didn’t score points, we dropped balls, we didn’t run well, we didn’t block well. We have to get better as a whole on offense.”

Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan

On how the team played:
“I thought we played pretty well, overall. I thought we did a lot better job on the run, and that was a big point of emphasis this week, but ultimately, still too many big plays and miss tackles that led to big plays.”

If it has sunk in that the team is 0-3:
“I don’t know. I mean, I’m feeling pretty down right now so I guess it has, but we still have a long ways to go, and we just have to find a way to get a win.”

On the positives from the game:
“We improved, that’s for sure. We played better offensively, defensively and special teams. We played better than the first two games, so we are improving, but we’ve still got to make more plays.”

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score

Florida State

For a kid so sharp on his feet, that answer to the fumble was not at all what I hoped to hear from him! He needs to understand the rules and slide...not dive! The lack of protecting himself is what led to his injury last year so he needs to understand he made a mistake...not some BS about the "rules"...

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

He didn't just say that. He said (or alluded to the fact that) things happen so quickly out there, sometimes all you can do is react. There may be times, like when we need an extra yard or half yard for a first time, where we'd applaud him for diving head first. I personally think it's a dumb rule. If you're the QB and you're going to the ground intentionally, what difference should it make how you do it? It's counter-intuitive, since that rule is specifically designed to protect the QB, it shouldn't matter how you do it. We just couldn't catch a break today. Not one.

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score

Florida State

Not so sure we agree on that one Boone, he seemed to be displacing blame. Something I am not going to excuse.

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score

I personally think it's a dumb rule. If you're the QB and you're going to the ground intentionally, what difference should it make how you do it? It's counter-intuitive, since that rule is specifically designed to protect the QB, it shouldn't matter how you do it.
I sooo agree with this. In fact, it makes even more sense to end the play if he goes head first, since that's so obviously more of a risk to serious injury.

Another rule I think is dumb, is the one that determined that Robinson losing the ball after he hit the end zone floor, created a fumble. In practically every other circumstance, the moment the ball crosses the plane of the goal line, it's a TD.
Well if a player catches and holds the ball while he's in the end zone, and he's obviously crossed the plane of the goal line - with possession - why should it matter what happens after he hits the ground ?!? The rules totally contradict themselves.

And of course, the rule on late hits on QB's are SOOO out of control, practically calling a late hit every time a player hits a QB, when the QB releases the ball while the pass-rusher is mid-air, or about to launch.

Last edited:

Lanky Livingston

For a league so focused on safety, allowing that to be ruled a fumble is not safe for the QB at all.

Lanky Livingston

Wide Receiver Aldrick Robinson

On his overturned touchdown reception and if he felt he caught the ball:
“When I saw the replay, I saw that the ball was sliding on the ground, but I for sure caught the ball. I had the ball in my left hand, but the camera view was on the right side and then I had it in my right-side hand. I secured the catch and I got up knowing that I secured the catch. When everyone was down, I saw that everyone wasn’t as excited as I was, so it was kind of strange to me. When I saw the replay, I saw what everyone else saw.”
Sorry Aldrick, there's no chance you caught that ball. Catch the ball with your hands first next time, and maybe you'll be able to secure it all the way to the ground.

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

Sorry Aldrick, there's no chance you caught that ball. Catch the ball with your hands first next time, and maybe you'll be able to secure it all the way to the ground.
You say that like it's the word of God :)

I say it was a catch.

Lanky Livingston

You say that like it's the word of God :)

I say it was a catch.
Show me someone who thinks that was a catch, and I'll show you one of the biggest Skins homers on earth. :)

Even if somehow the camera caught the only perfect angle to show it as not a catch, it obviously wasn't a "clean" catch. It caromed off his hands and chest before he secured it, and then clearly moved around when he hit the ground. If he catches it cleanly, there is no question.

Lanky Livingston

No ref in the world is going to call this a catch with this particular angle. Not one.

Aldrick2.jpg

Goaldeje

The Legend
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

James Madison

I thought it was a catch. Still do. Had they ruled it an incomplete pass, I don't think there was enough evidence to overrule it to a TD; and I still don't think there was enough visual evidence to overturn it the other way.

And yes, I love my shades, thank you.

Lanky Livingston

I thought it was a catch. Still do. Had they ruled it an incomplete pass, I don't think there was enough evidence to overrule it to a TD; and I still don't think there was enough visual evidence to overturn it the other way.

And yes, I love my shades, thank you.
Well that's because it WAS an incomplete pass, lol.

ntotoro

The Pro Bowler
Reaction score

guess there are more "homers" than first thought. huh, interesting.

and what that picture doesnt show is his hand is firmly underneath of the ball
It still doesn't matter if any part of the ball touches the ground. Just to think, I thought this being incomplete was something we'd finally all agree on... :joker:

Nick

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

The problem is, no still frame shot can tell the whole story of a play. The rule itself is written to define a catch as a process. If the rule was that all he had to do for it to be ruled a TD was to break the plane, then a single still frame might tell the tale. But the rule is so ambiguous and 'control' so loosely defined that it's almost impossible to consistently judge.

I've seen a ton of passes that touched the ground be ruled TDs because the receiver had his hands on the ball and controlled it. I just don't see the Redskins ever getting the benefit of the doubt.

Lanky Livingston

The problem is, no still frame shot can tell the whole story of a play. The rule itself is written to define a catch as a process. If the rule was that all he had to do for it to be ruled a TD was to break the plane, then a single still frame might tell the tale. But the rule is so ambiguous and 'control' so loosely defined that it's almost impossible to consistently judge.

I've seen a ton of passes that touched the ground be ruled TDs because the receiver had his hands on the ball and controlled it. I just don't see the Redskins ever getting the benefit of the doubt.
In my opinion, the ball hit the ground and moved/bounced around enough to look like it was trapped. If he had a hand under it, 1) you cannot see it, and 2) it was near the end of the ball so that it was able to move around pretty freely.

Just ask yourself this question: If it was Miles Austin playing the Redskins, and we saw that exact replay, would you for one nano-second say to yourself "well, his hand might be under the ball so I guess its a catch?" There is no chance!

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

In my opinion, the ball hit the ground and moved/bounced around enough to look like it was trapped. If he had a hand under it, 1) you cannot see it, and 2) it was near the end of the ball so that it was able to move around pretty freely.

Just ask yourself this question: If it was Miles Austin playing the Redskins, and we saw that exact replay, would you for one nano-second say to yourself "well, his hand might be under the ball so I guess its a catch?" There is no chance!
That's a lame argument LL. I supported several calls that went against us yesterday. Just not that call because it was called a TD and the evidence to overturn it was hardly incontrovertible. I am not 100% sure his hand was under the ball the whole way. But I am 100% sure there was not incontrovertible evidence it wasn't a good catch.

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

The point about the play that stands out is how poorly the Redskins responded to the call. They went backward on penalties and had to punt the ball. Detroit then went down the field and got points.

You have to be able to overcome some adversity.

For a division winner it appears the team has no self-confidence.

Lanky Livingston

That's a lame argument LL. I supported several calls that went against us yesterday. Just not that call because it was called a TD and the evidence to overturn it was hardly incontrovertible. I am not 100% sure his hand was under the ball the whole way. But I am 100% sure there was not incontrovertible evidence it wasn't a good catch.
Well, you and a handful of Redskins fans are the only ones on the planet who can look at the ball moving around on the ground and consider that not irrefutable evidence of an incomplete catch. I really, really, really wanted it to be a catch, but there is just no way that will ever be upheld with that video evidence. The ball clearly hits the ground and moves - review over.

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

Well, you and a handful of Redskins fans are the only ones on the planet who can look at the ball moving around on the ground and consider that not irrefutable evidence of an incomplete catch. I really, really, really wanted it to be a catch, but there is just no way that will ever be upheld with that video evidence. The ball clearly hits the ground and moves - review over.
When I saw the play, I didn't think there was conclusive evidence to overturn the original call made by the official closest to the ball. If they'd called it an incompletion I might agree with you that there wasn't enough visual evidence. But they didn't call it incomplete.

There's no need to mock a difference in opinion.

Lanky Livingston

When I saw the play, I didn't think there was conclusive evidence to overturn the original call made by the official closest to the ball. If they'd called it an incompletion I might agree with you that there wasn't enough visual evidence. But they didn't call it incomplete.

There's no need to mock a difference in opinion.
I'm not mocking, please don't take it that way. I realize emotions are raw after a Norv-esque loss, but I'm just stating my opinion as you are. To me, there is zero question as to whether or not that was a catch, and it would be overturned a thousand times out of a thousand. You think differently and that's fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤