• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Portable IMAX?

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
I just posted this on the TN site and thought some folks here might enjoy reading about this new "toy."

Ain't technology grand? Makes you wonder sometimes when you hear of some of the new advances in the laboratories "O.K., when can I buy this stuff at a price less than that of a decent used car?"

Stuff like widescreen 3D hi-res display glasses so I can watch movies and surf online anywhere that are affordable and on the market.

How about right now? Is $770 affordable for an experience that duplicates watching an 80" 3D screen at a distance of 5 meters (16 and-a-half feet)?

Introducing the Moverio headset from Epson-yeah, the printer folks.

Moverio – The Virtual 80-Inch, 3D Television You Wear On Your Face

Check Facebook posts, the Twitter feed, text someone, Google that actor in that movie you saw that time…watch a 3D movie. Epson has come up with yet another way for us to tune out those humans nearby who annoyingly keep trying to have a conversation with us. Why waste your time when you’ve got YouTube?
The new Moverio headset is a see-through 3D display that wears like a pair of funky shades. Run on Android 2.2, the display appears as an 80-inch 3D screen 5 meters in front of you. To avoid open manholes the glasses allow you to see what’s going on in the real world while you watch Lord of The Rings.

image41.jpg

It supports MPEG-4/MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video files and has 1GB of internal memory and a slot for a microSD card. The binocular displays have 960×540 resolution. The glasses also have Wi-Fi so you can access videos from YouTube or surf the web. Just want to close your eyes and relax to music? Moverio also supports AAC and MP3 audio files.

image52.jpg

hope my wife is reading this article because man I want one. Here’s my Christmas gift pitch: a normal 80-inch TV is like, $4,000, and they don’t come with 3D, Moverio is just $770. And I can watch football without bothering anybody. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Moverio ? The Virtual 80-Inch, 3D Television You Wear On Your Face | Singularity Hub

Epson's website has some more detailed specs (uh...pardon the unintentional pun there).

Transparent lenses for see-through viewing
Large perceived image - equivalent to watching a 320-inch screen from 20 meters away
QHD screen resolution (one quarter of a Full HD display)
Android™ 2.2 platform and Adobe Flash player for easy web browsing and faster application speeds
Easy access to the internet with Wi-Fi connectivity
Easy-to-use control unit, featuring dedicated buttons and touch-sensitive trackpad
Carry case and battery charger
Store content on the 4GB SDHC card (included)
Up to 32GB memory capacity for large file storage
Built-in 1GB internal memory
Watch side-by-side 3D content
Replacement nose pads and adjustable side arms
Fits over glasses
Intuitive smart-navigation user menu
Digital user guide enables quick, helpful problem solving whenever needed
Enjoy both audio and visual content with a pair of Dolby Mobile2 stereo sound earphones (included)
Six hour battery life
Removable transparent lens shade

Epson's site product info: Epson Unveils First Consumer See-Through Mobile Viewer Making Big-Screen Multimedia Entertainment Accessible on the Go (November 9, 2011) - Newsroom - Epson

I have a 50' screen - wonder what it would look like with these glasses? And you know the price will start coming down over the next couple of years. :)

Cool deal there. Thanks for finding it. The first item to put on order for next Christmas, hehe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.