• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Physical Fitness/Training Thread

At work, we have a fitness center and since it opened 2 1/2 years ago, I would go down regularly. Sometimes 4 days a week and sometimes just 1 or 2. But I tried to get there each week. I would also walk around our building, eventually getting up to 10k steps a day. My weight would fluctuate up and down, but it was mostly due to my diet. If I was being a pig, my weight would go up. If I ate better, my weight would go down. The problem was that I would go through times where I wanted to lose weight quickly. So I would do something drastic to change my eating and I’d drop pounds, but I’d soon go back to eating what I wanted.

However, something interesting happened during the quarantine. The fitness center closed shortly before I was told to work from home for the time being. But working from home, I wouldn’t move very much. I would have to make a conscious effort to get up and move. I have some weights and things to use at home, but it’s harder some days to get in there to use them. But I noticed I started losing weight. I haven’t weighed myself to see how much, but I can see it in my face and waist. I’ve done some walking at the park on nice days, but even with that, I’m only taking about 1/4 of the steps I normally take in a week. What I realized is that since we are eating more at home and then subsequently eating the leftovers for lunch, I’m just eating much better. And it’s not a drastic switch either. I’m just not eating as many fried foods, eating more vegetables, and I’m not going to the cafeteria for snacks whenever I want.

The bottom line is that even though I’m moving less and generally less active, I’m dropping a little bit of weight just by switching what I eat.

Exactly Kel.

Too many seem to think that being at an ideal weight (or close to it) requires great sacrifice. All it really requires in adulthood is not eating like one could in high school and college.

I challenge anyone to go to their local grocery and look in the carts of the physically healthy looking shoppers and the physically unhealthy looking ones. The differences in selection are easy to see. In the U.S. there is an epidemic of Type 2 diabetes and it is predominately self-inflicted. I have spent a considerable amount of time throughout Europe in the past two years and have seen nearly no evident cases of obesity. In fact, I really only see it in Americans on the planes back and forth.

But, hey, give me a #1 with a large shake and supersize it please.

The Mountain in the news again for weightlifting. That big bastard just deadlifted 1100 lbs, and semi easily at that

Got a flat bench with:

bar
2x45s
2x35s
2x25s
2x10s
4x5s

Wife didnt think I'd use it...I have used it daily. Monday is chest day so I go harder that day, but every other day I do 135x10 3 times just to keep my chest flexed somewhat.

wife ordered a Nordic Track so that arrived today. I am going to start using THAT 2x a day. I need to get this quarantine weight off before I leave the house again.

Went back to running this week. First time to make a real stab at running in years but I found an app with a program a number of friends speak highly off. It's call C25K (Couch to 5K) and it's a graduated 8-week program to get you from not running at all to running 5K in 30 minutes. While it sounds daunting, the first couple of days really weren't too bad. More importantly, I could still walk the next day. I count that a win.

Last edited:
Went back to running this week. First time to make a real stab at running in years but I found an app with a program a number of friends speak highly off. It's call C25K (Couch to 5K) and it's a graduated 8-week program to get you from not running at all to running 5K in 30 minutes. While it sounds daunting, the first couple of days really weren't too bad. More importantly, I could still walk the next day. I count that a win.

Those work and are very doable, Neo. Running 3.1 miles at a basically 10 minute pace isn’t daunting at all once you get into it. Good for you!

I have C25K as wll...definitely a good app to have. I found myself wanting to push past what it told me to do though.

you will see. it takes it REALLY easy on you. I am in no way a runner.

you will see. it takes it REALLY easy on you. I am in no way a runner.

You mean during later weeks though, right? Not week 1 or 2.

I used to be a runner...35 years ago.

I am loving the NordicTrack. The only part I have issues with is finding a set of runs I want to do. I dont like the one offs; I prefer to do a series.

Its funny, too, because on the elliptical I average just over 5 minutes per mile. but, on the road, it is over 10. I know there is a difference and all that..but, twice the length of time just seems like it is mental.

Elliptical is going to feel and be easier than running because you are eliminating the resistance the ground provides and you aren't having to raise and lower your feet as you do when you actually run which takes more energy than might seem obvious. That's my guess as to why such a big difference anyway :)

I am in the 180's for the first time in a long while. I am still following a keto diet *somewhat* meaning that I will occasionally have some carbs (vs. absolutely none early on in this latest effort) but I'm probably not taking in enough to throw me out of ketosis. Biggest change for me is no alcohol. I'm not cutting it out entirely, but not keeping beer in the house has made trimming down a ton easier. My goal weight is about 10-12 lbs away. I'm just trying to do it slowly and steadily without amping up my physical activity like a mad man (which ultimately isn't something I have time and/or motivation to keep up long-term).

So I talked about my physical issues a couple months ago, had the second achilles surgery and will likely have to have back surgery at the end of the year.

Well, since the achilles got fixed I have been walking longer distances...can finally walk more than a mile without significant pain. Much more than that and there is some stiffness, and my foot is sore, but I can go longer and longer each time I go out.

Overall, been much more active than I was capable before. Taking the boy out on the canoe is still difficult with the back issues, but I still take him out.

Anyway, in order for me to help alleviate the pain, I have started taking the weight off. When I looked at the scale and saw 311.4, I almost cried. Fighting weight is 220, and that is my goal. I have 75 pounds to go. I am down 16 pounds in the first 4 weeks.

I wanted to take off more, and thought I would have by now, but I am not trying to just shed it as quickly as possible this time...trying to truly make the lifestyle change...which is part of the reason I stopped fasting. I won't fast for the rest of my life, so I am not even going to bother with it now.

I have simply been eating better, fresh foods...nothing processed, no sugar/high fructose corn syrup, no breads/pastas. I can do this...I miss pasta, but I will have it again some time. I will cheat on occasion. For now, I will focus on the discipline of eating right, and exercising as much as I can.

I think you're on the right path. Small changes over time and stick with them. Cheating is part of it. Just stick to overall gradual changes most of the time and turn them into habits. You'll get there. Drop the weight, keep upping the activity, avoid activities that really are better suited for younger guys, and maybe put off surgeries until you see what shedding that weight does. Lower back surgeries sometimes don't alleviate the symptoms and can even make it worse from what I've seen.

I think you're on the right path. Small changes over time and stick with them. Cheating is part of it. Just stick to overall gradual changes most of the time and turn them into habits. You'll get there. Drop the weight, keep upping the activity, avoid activities that really are better suited for younger guys, and maybe put off surgeries until you see what shedding that weight does. Lower back surgeries sometimes don't alleviate the symptoms and can even make it worse from what I've seen.

Thanks John. One of the more difficult realities is coming to grip with my limitations. I was the guy who would just leap over the gate when I'd get home because it was less effort than actually opening it. If parkour were a thing I knew about when I was younger, I probably would have been pretty good at it. Today, I have a hard time loading and unloading the canoe from the truck anymore. The back is just bad.

I got the lower back fixed years ago...since the surgery I have not had sciatica pain for any longer than a day in 7 or 8 years. I have disc issues at T-1 and T-2 that have been unattended for a long time. I was told to have surgery 17 years ago, but have put if off all this time hoping the technology would get better to avoid fusion. I'm in luck, they can replace them these days. So I'm dropping the weight, hopefully at least 50 more pounds by December, which is more than doable since it's only 2 pounds a week and my mentors keep telling me that is plenty. Then have the surgery, and continue to lose weight during recovery.

It does feel good to be getting around more with less aches in my legs since I started, and am officially down 20 pounds in 5 weeks. Tuesday 5 weeks ago is when I started and got on the scale this morning at 291.3.

This running thing in July/Aug is for shit. Ugh. The only thing I hate worse than running right now is not running.

In other news, I've been doing this roughly 10 weeks or so. A week and a half ago, my 11 year old daughter decided to join me so she could prepare for a soccer season I'm not sure we will have. She is just flat killing it (and me) already. I'm pretty sure she could run a respectable 5K today.

Getting old is not for sissies.

Cannot f’n stand running, never have, & vowed to never do it again after the military. It was the best calorie/fat burner alive for me tho, regardless of my hatred for it.

16 hour fast kind of under control. I still get major cravings, but they are shorter. Just gotta get past the end of the fast hangry part.

Tonight on the iFit:

35:01
6.61 miles
838 calories burned

I am spent!! I deserve the beer I am having on Saturday. And the vodka.

So when you say fasting are you drinking water only throughout the duration?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.