• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Physical Fitness/Training Thread

WTG, Special K! Tennis is hard!! When I play, I rename it: Rocket Launcher!

Congratulations & may your winning spirit transfer over to the 'Skins.

Well good on you Mike. Last time I tried quitting (smokeless) I was one cranky sumbitch.

now, the wife.....well, she is not happy with quitting. her cravings are constant and every day.

But I look at it like the more I struggle to run the more of a reminder to NOT smoke it is.

Spent last week in Minneapolis for our Summer Sales Meeting... and gained five pounds. Holy crap. Who knew eating at Fogo de Chao was so bad for you? Shoot me now, please.

On the plus side (or size?), I am now motivated to drop the extra 20 lbs I need to. I will be down where I need to be within three months.

who even knew what a fogo de chao was before this?

sure as shit not me

Ran a HARD AS HELL ~4 mile mud "run" at ~7,000 altitude that climbed another 1,200 ft. throughout the race. My lungs STILL hurt today. I don't even know my team's time; by the time I ran across the finish line I didn't care, I just wanted my free beer, lol. Fun race overall. That said, I definitely need to train at altitude before doing another high altitude race.

I did a show in La Paz, Bolivia once. ... ...... ONCE! (12,000 ft elevation)
ft73Ulq.jpg

I can't imagine how the dancers made it through. I was winded after the first half-hour or so.

This tour:

Chayanne Concierto PR 1996 Parte 2/7 - YouTube

Lulz. Crazy dayz.

Last edited:
Ran a HARD AS HELL ~4 mile mud "run" at ~7,000 altitude that climbed another 1,200 ft. throughout the race. My lungs STILL hurt today. I don't even know my team's time; by the time I ran across the finish line I didn't care, I just wanted my free beer, lol. Fun race overall. That said, I definitely need to train at altitude before doing another high altitude race.

Train at that altitude then come down here and race on flat land and you'll be putting up Kenyan times!!

Train at that altitude then come down here and race on flat land and you'll be putting up Kenyan times!!

Sooooo made me think of THIS: (1:04 for the part about KENYANS!)

Last edited:
You guys are killing me! Doing anything at 12,000 feet would be hard as heck. I remember when I first moved to Colorado, cursing the 7,000 ft. altitude my house was at as I carried the vacuum up the stairs to my bedroom :laugh:

So, the best part about the mud run last weekend was this weird skin rash I developed a couple days ago... At first I thought it was a reaction to new soap or laundry detergent, but as the rash rapidly spread I quickly realized I had impetigo. When I showed my dad, he was like "great, now I have to call in more antibiotics because your brother and his wife just came down with impetigo as well." Haha! So weird, they got theirs' from the water slides they took their kids to the same day I did my mud run. So right now all the middle aged adults in my family are being treated for impetigo while the little kids are running around carefree :laugh:

For those in the NoVa area ...

Edit: I've signed up, so I'll be there with my 11 minute mile pace. :)

https://prracing.enmotive.com/events/register/53c01a04-c534-430d-aafc-754ac0a86523

2014 Back to Football Redskins 5k

When: Sunday September 7, 2014
Time: 7:00 am

This second year event brings the community together for a fun, Redskins themed 5K Race celebrating the beginning of the 2014 football season. This challenging yet family friendly event is for runners and Redskins fans alike. The race will take place at Redskins Park in Ashburn, Va., which is not open to the public on a daily basis to come together to exercise and enjoy family fun activities.

5K Registration:

$35 - Early Bird pricing until August 10
$40 – August 11th - September 5th
$45 – Weekend of the race

Play 60 Fun Run (for kids 2-12) Registration:

$10 – July 31st - September 5th
$15 – Weekend of the race

All registrants will receive a commemorative race shirt

Packet Pick up:
Packet pick up will be held at the =PR= Store in Ashburn on Friday September 5 from 4:00-7:00 pm and Saturday September 6 from 11:00-3:00, then again the morning of the race starting at 6:30 am.

Special note about PARKING: Runners must be parked at Redskin Park by 6:45 am. Traffic into the facility will be stopped to allow runners by and NO cars will be permitted in past 6:45 am. All cars should enter Redskin Park by heading north bound on Loudoun County Parkway from Waxpool Rd.

Family Activities:
The 2nd Annual Redskins 5K will also include activities for the runners and attendees during and after the race. Stations such as Kids Play 60 combine, post-race relaxation area, food, and DJ will be present during and after the 5K race.

Watch Party:
The Washington Redskins will be at NRG Stadium to play the Houston Texans at 1PM and the Redskins will be hosting a post-race watch party around Redskins Park. Locations & Times TBD.

About the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation:
The Redskins Charitable Foundation, mission is to make a positive impact on youth development in the greater Washington D.C. area, focusing on health and wellness, education and community outreach.

Last edited:
My wife says to me "I want to workout but it costs 5 bucks per visit to take the boy" so she looks up the local YMCA and what they have to offer. It is going to cost about 15 dollars more for both of us to join, they have WAY more stuff than 24 hour fitness, and the boy can go for free. PLUS they have a "mommy and baby" swim class.

I feel like a freaking monster right now...I am starting to get around the corner with pain in my joints (except late at night while asleep) and I am now doing the following:

1.5 miles running in the AM before work
30 minutes in the gym at lunch
15 minutes of jump rope at lunch
45 minutes of running with the wife at night

I saw this picture of Jason Mamoa (Drogo from GoT) and it really got inside of my head. I could look like that...I could be as big as a mother****er and just feel like I want to. I want to be the shirtless maniac with wild hair and beard that embraces his wild man and not fears it.

View attachment 1597

so, I have this picture in my head ever since Ive seen it. Monday, worked thru lunch so no gym. Tuesday, worked thru lunch so no gym. Yesterday was "chest day" which is internationally known to be on Mondays but whatever..I was pissed but I grabbed the 100s and put them up 10 times all 3 sets. Today I did biceps and back and curled 55s and was pulling 135 on the pulleys.

I WILL be this big.

Last edited:
327 calories ... you burn fewer calories than that running two miles. Pretty cool.

Weve been doing that couch to 5K app for 3 nights a week for the past 4 weeks. We have our very first 5K next Saturday morning...

VERY stoked for this. I think about gaining more and more ground as I run more. I need to stop running for time and just see how "far" I can go.

Music is the key...I have found that bands like Slipknot and Pantera are great for lifting but when running I prefer stuff like Hall and Oates and softer music. I get all amped up if not and that takes energy away.

If I found myself using 'couch' and 'we' in the same sentence, the last thing I'd be thinking about would be preparing for a 5K. Just sayin'...

well, you cant do THAT every second of the day...You have to FILL it with something else.

Oh good grief, boys!!! ;)

the difference between running with a stroller in front of you and without one is unreal. Someone needs to invent a device that goes around your waist with 2 arms that come out from your belly area and attach to the stroller so your arms can be free. The lack of having real rhythm is killer.

Down 13lbs solid..It is literally just starting to come off easier and easier. I see veins in my arms and neck now and don't have too many doubts about my abilities. I want to try and get to lifting 105s or 110s by the middle of Sept though so that is a big goal.

Question: How does someone learn to run LONG distances? I knwo everyone says "slow down" but I really feel like maybe my legs are too long or something because it feels like I am almost walking and I am maintaining a 10 minute mile. But after 2 I am done...like done done. How do I train to run further distances? And please, dont just say "run further" I know that much!! I mean like tricks or ideas that have helped you.

edit: figures they have already invented one. I am not the first runner ever.

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Jogging-Stroller-Adaptor-Medium/dp/B000M9KMXY

Mike, the first thing I'd tell you is that you only need to run one 'long run' a week. Any more than that and you'll kill your legs and wear yourself out. So run two 2-milers and one 3-miler this week. Take the day off after the long run. It's ok if your super tired and it's tough to finish. The rest day will help you recover from that and help you build up your endurance for the next long run. The next week, extend that long run to 3.5 miles. Then 4. Rinse and repeat. Don't try and increase ALL of your runs. That'll kill ya.

As far as slowing down goes ... you aren't any taller than I am. Trust me, it's possible to go slower. :) My suggestion is maintain your gait and shorten your stride. It's ok if you feel like you're almost walking. Frankly, that's what it should feel like for long runs. The primary purpose of a long run is to build endurance, not speed or stamina. Running faster doesn't help you at all.

The general guideline for a Long Run is run two minutes per mile slower than your race pace. If you run races at 9 minute miles, run long runs at 11s. You can actually go slower than this but it doesn't help to go faster. Now if you absolutely, positively cannot figure out a way to slow yourself down I suggest walking a minute for every ten minutes you run. You still get all the benefits, it will extend your range, and your legs won't hate you afterwards. To this day I'll still take walking breaks every mile or so when I run further than 6. At least for the first few miles. If towards the end you are feeling good, stop the breaks. But they will at least help you get the distance.

Eventually, when your endurance improves, and you are running, say 6 or 7 miles slow like that, then when you want to Unleash The Beast and run those 6 or 7 miles at your race pace you can. It's just not something you should do all the time. You build up your endurance and then run those distances fast on Race Day. Running a long run will also help you speed up on your shorter runs. Not as much as doing official speed work but it will help.

Anyway, that's all I've got for now. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.