• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Physical Fitness/Training Thread

As an older guy (61 now) I'm quite interested in health supplements. Obviously nothing replaces making healthy food choices, exercise, getting enough sleep, reducing stress, and exercising moderation in habits that don't contribute to health. But I am intrigued by one supplement, NMN (Nicotinimide Mononucleotide), because it appears to have a ton of anti-aging properties and very few if any negative side effects. Primarily, early research shows it can significantly increase energy, testosterone levels, and even DNA repair.

Anyone out there taking NMN? Chris - are you familiar? I would love to know what anyone's experience have been like if so....

Last edited:
I’m pumped for my 66th Thanksgiving Day. 😉

IMG_7528.jpeg

Chris, since we were talking 'fasting' in the BBQ thread (lol), I am thinking about doing a 24 hour fast one day a week as a routine. I already technically do 'intermittent fasting' as I don't do breakfast of any kind and usually don't eat lunch until 1 pm, but that doesn't seem to have a big impact on my as far as staying trim.

Any experience with a routine 1 day fast?

I am going to do a month or more of keto as I ramp up my exercise activity and get down to a more ideal weight, and that means cutting out my only real vice - alcohol. I have no problem doing that, I just miss it. I also recognize those empty alcohol calories probably negate any benefit from intermittent fasting that is my norm. I think I might see more results with a full day fast each week, but not sure? Again, there is a lot of conflicting info out there.

Alcohol has so many negative effects (outside of the psychological 🙂). Very impactful on sleep quality, which is the most important overall health factor outside of weight and medical issues.)

As someone who longer regularly partakes, I see the results clearly on my sleep metrics when I do and they are significant. Two beers or two glasses of wine do that to me. YRMV.

A 24 hours fast once per week could be helpful and certainly won’t have any detrimental affect.

On IM- what time of the day do you stop eating and what is your normal bedtime?

I normally have black coffee only in the morning, eat lunch around 1pm, eat dinner around 7pm, asleep by 9:30 -10pm typically. I don't need sleep metrics to know alcohol reduces sleep quality - it's obvious to me.

My only suggestion would be to move the last meal of the day up a hour, if possible. I know it’s not always practical. If that doesn’t work I would suggest a 20 minute or so walk after dinner.

Black coffee is perfect and it doesn’t break an IM fast.

Survived my 3 day fast (apparently). Dropped 6 lbs and slept like the dead last night after some mild over-eating despite my best intentions. Will continue with fairly hard core keto and ramp up the exercise. I am definitely going to try the 1 fast day/week routine and see how that goes. Once I get my activity cranked up, I may not need it, but I think it will help me get down to my goal weight.

I've got a muscular frame and my body type has (unfortunately) allowed me to carry a lot of extra weight as I've aged and not look 'fat'. But this winter, I approached my highest weight ever at 207 (I may have even exceeded that a couple times in the last year). That's literally and by definition 'obese'. I have had a hard time keeping my metabolism at a high level over the years after an auto-immune disease damaged my diaphragm which essentially makes it impossible for me to do highly aerobic activities.

Anyway, over the course of February, I did a 3 day fast and then transitioned to Keto. I have also incorporated at least a day a week of fasting, mostly eliminated alcohol, and started doing some light exercise (stationary bike and light barbell work). I'm 17 lbs down in a month. Just got my road bike serviced and I'm going to start a serious riding program and a more rigorous lifting program. Feels really good but I have at least another 15 lbs to go. More importantly, I'm motivated to get my strength and endurance at a much better level.

I turn 62 in April and getting in shape, and staying there, is a big deal at this point in my life.

22 lbs. down so far in my quest to get down to my goal weight. Basically keto and 2 weeks ago started incorporating 10-20 mile bike rides and some light handweights and Bowflex workouts. Chris - a quick question... I am obviously taking in plenty of protein in general... is there anything that would be helpful in terms of building muscle as I get more into the weights... I am doing lower weights with a lot of reps. For example, 4 sets of 20-25 reps of military press or bicep pulldowns... I am not looking to get big, but I don't want to be a lot lighter and SKINNY. I want strength with definition.

I know those are general questions, but I am wondering if some kind of after workout protein shake would be helpful, or if there are other ways to amp up musclebuilding that I'm not aware of?

22 lbs. down so far in my quest to get down to my goal weight. Basically keto and 2 weeks ago started incorporating 10-20 mile bike rides and some light handweights and Bowflex workouts. Chris - a quick question... I am obviously taking in plenty of protein in general... is there anything that would be helpful in terms of building muscle as I get more into the weights... I am doing lower weights with a lot of reps. For example, 4 sets of 20-25 reps of military press or bicep pulldowns... I am not looking to get big, but I don't want to be a lot lighter and SKINNY. I want strength with definition.

I know those are general questions, but I am wondering if some kind of after workout protein shake would be helpful, or if there are other ways to amp up musclebuilding that I'm not aware of?

Let me back to you tomorrow on this. I definitely have opinions across the board.

Took myself off hard core keto 2 weeks ago. I am still 5 lbs away from my original goal weight target but have not gained anything since going back to a more normal diet so encouraged by that. I have to have surgery next week so I will have to shift to non-impact exercise for at least a month. Pretty happy with what I’ve accomplished since February.

I did 10 pushups and 10 squats yesterday (no weight).

Lord I hurt this morning.

And no, this is not a joke.

I do 200 pushups a day most days

Sometimes I do 20 at a time, sometimes I do 5. It's just about doing it and getting to the destination, not the speed.

Pushups are such a great exercise because you can do them anywhere and they work your core on top of your arms and shoulders

Yeah, I should have added 10 sit-ups to go with but after the pushups and the squats...lets just say I was excited to still be breathing. LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.