• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Philip Merling - Washington Redskin

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
Along with the practice squad signees there was one veteran, Merling. Interestingly there was a lot of talk about drafting him in 2008 before he was taken at #32, two picks ahead of the Redskins by Bill Parcells in Miami.

He's 27, 6'5 and 315 and has been off the radar the past year or so, shuffling between rosters for short periods.

Is his career redeemable? Is there anyone that lives down in Miami that could shed light on what happened to this guy after Parcells left?

I don't over excited about signings this time of year. Chances are very slim he makes final roster.

He was arrested May 27th of this past offseason? The Post piece was not dated. Did he plead in the case already? I find it hard to believe the Redskins would sign him before the legal process was completed.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

For what it's worth,

The charges were later dropped by the Broward State Attorney's office after the accusing female moved back to her home state of South Carolina and did not return to testify against him.

over two years ago.

If the NFL allowed Leonard Little back into the league after he killed a woman after one of innumerable episodes of DUI, I would think a player with Merling's history could receive a reasonable second chance to play again with a change of scenery.

He was arrested May 27th of this past offseason? The Post piece was not dated. Did he plead in the case already? I find it hard to believe the Redskins would sign him before the legal process was completed.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

The piece was dated 7/19/10, so two and a half years ago.

for a charge that was never prosecuted, that's a long time for fans dig it up and use it on a guy IMO.

heck, we have already had players signed here that have been busted for a number of other things that they pleaded on.

how about all the offseason issues with Haynesworth we suffered through for 2 years?

Lot worse than what I see here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.