• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Pellet Grills

riggins44

The Franchise Player
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a pellet grill. I miss my smoker and figure this may be the answer. The problem is a heavy smoke flavor bothers my wife's acid reflux. This is why gave up my smoker.

My question is if pellet grills produce less smoke flavor than a traditional smoker?

I have been thinking about getting a pellet grill. I miss my smoker and figure this may be the answer. The problem is a heavy smoke flavor bothers my wife's acid reflux. This is why gave up my smoker.

My question is if pellet grills produce less smoke flavor than a traditional smoker?

Depends if Snoop is there, always smokey. No clue on my end I use propane and propane accessories.

I bought a Traeger Ironwood which I highly recommend about a year ago. I barely use my egg or gas grill since. The answer to your question is - it depends. At least with the Traeger, you can set it to Supersmoke but the limitation is you can’t go above 225 degrees for that setting. I’ve done amazing briskets in this thing that have plenty of smoke flavor and a smoke ring. Would it be slightly better on an egg? Maybe slightly but it’s not by a lot. I’ve done everything from meatloaf to brisket to pulled pork to steak to pizza on my pellet grill and they’ve all been awesome. Plus it has a built in wired temp prove with a phone app so you can literally watch your cook on your phone. Honestly it’s just amazing. They have also come out with flavored pellets (Weber has all kinds of blends) so you can add that element as well. The Traeger Ironwood is one of the best purchases I’ve ever made.

The ability to literally push a couple of buttons and be smoking/grilling/ baking/roasting withon 10-15 minutes is amazing. I call mine the 747 - because the damn thing almost flies itself. Traeger isn’t the only worthy brand but I can vouch for their stuff.

Thanks for the info. I looked for made in USA but they are high end and for competitions. Will research brands to see which will work best.

Rec Tec are one of the top two brands you’ll see a lot of fans of and I think probably cheaper than Traeger. Made in China though.

Last edited:
I think most of the very popular pellets are now made in China, but you may be able to find a good US made one if you do enough research. I'd try to get one with a 20lb pellet container and double-walled is a big plus if you plan on using it in the cold months so it will hold it's temperature. Grilla Grills is one of the less expensive brands that also gets a lot of love. Pit Boss and Camp Chef also. Walmart has some amazing Black Friday deals going on pellet grills, many under $500 including some Traegers in that price range.

Keto dinner, soon to be heading to the Traeger…

9D59A800-BE56-4C8B-ABB2-F60AE3EF7DB4.jpeg

Just butter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.