• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

OTA Day 1 Notes

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
I know I want to know what's going on....figure you do too.

Our man Tandler's on the case:

http://www.csnwashington.com/footba...-todays-indoor-ot?blockID=711486&feedID=10316

Here are practice notes from today’s OTA session under the bubble at Redskins Park. Since no tweeting was allowed, they are being presenting in Twitter-like fashion.

This will be interesting with 90 players practicing on one field. Not much room to operate.

Chris Cooley looking very fit, no wraps or braces on knee. Moving and cutting very well.

As the dropped back side by side, Griffin was taking snaps from a center, Rex Grossman was just holding the ball in front of himself. Trying to get RG3 used to taking direct snaps?

Trent Williams appears to have dropped a few pounds. Middle has shrunk some.

Josh Leribeus getting some right guad snaps. Some at center too.

RG3 is not getting cheated out of any reps. He is not just working with the No. 1 offense, he is handing off to Tristan Davis and throwing passes to Niles Paul.

Danny Smith is in midseason form, joking with reporters on the sideline and getting down in a three-point stance with the field goal protection team.

DeAngelo Hall not present. [Note: London Fletcher said after practice that Hall has been around for most of the offseason program.]

For having almost 90 players out there, things went pretty smoothly. There was a play where Griffin was ready to snap the ball but the defense was short a linebacker. They held up for a few seconds while the missing player got back into place.

Hopefully during the season RG3 will quick snap on that play to catch the defense shorthanded.

Paul with a nice catch of a Griffin rope. Then a nice one to Moss as he was going out of bounds.

Jarvis Jenkins has on a full knee brace but participated in team drills.

Neil Rackers booming some field goals, hitting the top of the camera tower from 40 yards out...

REST HERE

Feel free to add notes/updates from any and all sources ...

From Redskins.com:

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-ev...eam-OTAs/f1f49866-0525-4a19-95d5-2848ea0eda41

For the first time in 2012, the Redskins rookies joined the veterans for full-team offseason team activities.

With light rain in the forecast for much of the day, head coach Mike Shanahan moved the practice to the indoor practice facilities. It was the first indoor practice open to the media in franchise history.

Due to the non-contact nature of OTA's, the team took the field in helmets, but no practice shells or pads.

Several players coming off of injury suited up but did not participate in drills, including running back Tim Hightower, receiver Leonard Hankerson, and defensive end Stephen Bowen. These three did work with the training staff on the sidelines, before watching drills with teammates.

The highlight of the practice was seven-on-seven drills, with quarterback Robert Griffin III and the first-team offense against the second team defense. The running backs and receivers rotated through the skill positions.

This was Griffin III's first introduction to "pressure," as the defense was permitted to shadow his movement and close the pocket. Griffin III was mobile in and out of the pocket, and flashed impressive speed when forced to tuck the ball and run.

Across the field, veteran quarterback Rex Grossman and rookie Kirk Cousins took snaps with the second-team offense. Defensive end Jarvis Jenkins rotated through the defensive line, looking comfortable for the first time since tearing his ACL in Week 3 of the preseason last year.

The play of the day likely went to rookie cornerback Richard Crawford, who made an athletic play on a pass from Griffin III during seven-on-seven drills. He showed great closing speed, and nearly made an over the shoulder interception, before the ball fell incomplete.

Practice also featured a kicking exhibition between incumbent Graham Gano and veteran free agent addition Neil Rackers.

While each kicker missed kicks, both showed great range, knocking it high off the walls from 40 yards.

Quarterback Griffin III and linebacker London Fletcher took to the podium to address the media following practice. More to come, later.

Interesting that Griffin and Fletcher addressed the media afterward. Saw a tweet from Griff over the weekend indicating that the Skins have assigned him a locker right next to Fletcher, which I think is great.

Interesting that Griffin and Fletcher addressed the media afterward. Saw a tweet from Griff over the weekend indicating that the Skins have assigned him a locker right next to Fletcher, which I think is great.

No one better to teach him how to be a leader at this level!

Agreed. Moon Pies and Cheetos are health food.

Chris Cooley looking very fit, no wraps or braces on knee. Moving and cutting very well.

LOVE Captain Chaos!

Reportedly down to 237, 20 lbs lighter than he has ever played in the NFL (according to him).

....the thin ones simply forgot what they were going to do with the food.

Five thoughts: Robert Griffin III
John Keim

1. The ball just jumps out of Robert Griffin III's hand at a different speed. That was evident again during the OTA workout Monday. Because of that, he’ll get away with some throws that others just can’t make. For example, on one out route to Pierre Garcon, Griffin stood in the pocket and delivered a strike into a tight window. Rookie Richard Crawford had good coverage and was right on Garcon’s hip. But Griffin zipped it in to Garcon – and it would have allowed him to gain yards after the catch, too. His most impressive throws really came on the out patterns rather than straight downfield. That’s where you see the arm as much as anything. Remember the times when tight end Fred Davis had to wait on passes on the bootleg toss-back plays? A 30-yard gain would be made, but another 20 or 30 were lost because he had to wait. If that happens this season I’d be surprised.

2. On the bootlegs, Griffin gets on the perimeter ultra-quick. That, plus the velocity on his throws, will stress defenses. Because Griffin gets on the edge and squares his hips so fast, it’ll give the receiver a chance to make more plays, especially on clear outs. Corners or safeties might not arrive as fast as they would have vs. other quarterbacks. Not that Rex Grossman threw lollipops, but Griffin is much faster and throws a faster ball. He had one throw Monday to Niles Paul where you could hear it hum as it arrived. Griffin’s traits will give the offense a faster tempo.

"It’s a total difference when he’s out there running on the play-action,” Davis said. “He gets out so fast. He sees the whole field. He can make throws other quarterbacks couldn’t make. He gets out on the play action very fast. Very fast.

3. One side benefit of Griffin having already graduated does not just involve learning the offense or the playbook. There’s little doubt that a guy like Griffin would learn as much as possible even if he wasn’t here. But here’s one important thing: The ability to interact with the veterans during a less stressful time. If Griffin could only make, say, the minicamp, he’d have perhaps a week to interact. Instead, he’ll have more than a month. And this will give the vets time to see what he’s about.

4. Linebacker London Fletcher, whose locker is next to Griffin’s, saw his pre-draft interviews. But now he gets to learn more about him. And it’s important to impress players such as Fletcher. “He’s very humble, very respectful,” Fletcher said, “not coming in feeling like he’s entitled to anything. He’s willing to work. He’s in here early and he’s in his playbook. There are some first-round picks, especially high guys, they come in and feel like things should be given to them. That’s not the case with him.”

Fletcher did joke about Griffin, “He thinks he’s a singer. He’s always singing. He doesn’t sound bad, but he really thinks he can sing.”

Here’s something else Fletcher said: “I’m in my 15th season, to go into another year with not having a quarterback was not very appealing to me….I’ve had enough years of the other stuff.”

5. Though Griffin would get razzed for his Jay Leno appearance, even if in good fun. Some players joked about his beat box, but players genuinely seemed to enjoy that he was on the show. It’s difficult for rookies to fit in that well that fast to the point where vets don’t have an attitude of, “Prove it first, kid.”

Griffin said, “Even the Leno show helped with the beat boxing. They could get a little bit of my life without me having to say it directly to 'em. I associate a lot better with a lot of the guys. It’s been great. I feel real comfortable in the locker room.”

Griffin clearly is at ease with who he is and his role on the Redskins. There’s a rare confidence. How many rookies would say, when asked why he wore a yellow glove on his left hand Monday, “The simple answer to that is I was a huge Michael Jackson fan growing up.”

Still have no idea when this kid will blossom. But this is what we do know: he’s off to a good start and not just on the field.

Link: http://washingtonexaminer.com/sport...12/05/five-thoughts-robert-griffin-iii/638586

Saw a tweet earlier that said Josh Wilson got burned on a 40TD pass from Grossman to Banks.

Maybe I should worry a little more about our secondary.

Even a blind squirrel, gents. Even a blind squirrel.

Even a blind squirrel, gents. Even a blind squirrel.

Yeah, just my first reaction to this. We have to take into account that Banks is playing for his Redskins' life while Wilson is simply getting some reps.

Saw a tweet earlier that said Josh Wilson got burned on a 40TD pass from Grossman to Banks.

"**** it, I'm goin' deep." This shouldn't be a surprise. As others have said, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.