• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Or RB Situation

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Helu, my favorite RB on the team, is starting to concern me. More specifically, his health. Both achilles are hurt, and that's even before the season begins? Is it PUP time for the guy who could have been incredible this year?

THT? His health history isn't much better. I doubt that a single member of this great site feels comfortable that THT can go all 19 games this year.

That leaves us with Royster and Morris.....and some serious health question marks.

At the same time as I am writing this, rumors are now coming out that MJD is "open" to being traded. He is holding out in Jacksonville, and claims that he will sit out all season.

Thoughts on all of the above?

If Helu can't go, I'm going to be sick.

Wouldn't trade much of anything for MJD, I hate to say it, but RBs seem to be pretty expendable these days. As great as MJD has been, and he's been great, he hasn't been enough to accomplish much in the W column for the Jags, particularly after he stopped splitting carries with Taylor.

Fantasy Football players have grown to detest Mike Shanahan RBs because you never know who is going to play, but you do know whoever plays is probably going to rack up yardage and scores. I see nothing different this year. THT will start 4 games or so, Helu will start 4 games or so, Royster will start 4, and I think Morris will start around 4. The situation is going to be fluid, and I think that's OK. Frankly, if we had to depend on any of them to start 16 games and carry the rock 250+ times, I would be very concerned. But that's not how Mike does it.

Two things Goal......first, it's 19 games, not 16:)

Secondly, we are already rolling the dice with the OL. If THT and Helu are out, now we are going to give RG3 Royster and Morris?

Unless we want to trade future picks, I guess that's all we can do. Wow, we need those other guys healthy.

MJD is on the down side of his career and looking for his last big pay day. No thank you!

Good point on the 19. :)

If one of the two completely healthy guys goes down in the next game or week or practice, then yeah, I'll be worried. Or if we start the season and neither Helu or THT are ready to go, then yeah, I'll be worried. But for right now, they're being held out of preseason games. London got held out of the last game because of flu-like symptoms I think I read. It's preseason. If we start the season with only two healthy RBs, I will agree with you that I don't like the situation.

Until then, they're glorified exhibition games.

The magic of the “Shanahan running game” was one of the reasons I was happy to see him become the coach here. The problem since he arrived though has always been the health of the RBs. Ryan Torain showed real promise a couple of years back but couldn't stay healthy. Last year NONE of or RBs could stay healthy. It's a huge issue.

The offense is going to need to have guys who can step in when needed but we don't have “that guy” at RB at all. Who starts? I have no idea. Needing to have a new guy to step in every other week and be productive is asking a lot.

MJD in DC? It's tempting, but even in our current state I'd pass. Sure, he fits the scheme and could probably walk in and contribute and he'd be a huge upgrade, but at what cost? Our cap position (Thanks Roger) is not what it could be and we can't get caught up in giving up all of our draft picks for 27 year old expensive RBs. No my brothers (and sisters), MJD is not a good option.

Going into the season my money was on Royster. He might still emerge...or I might be an idiot.

I'm not worried at all. Portis will be on the roster by Thursday.:betterwink2:

I wouldn't be freakin out if we entered the season with Morris, and Royster as our primary backs. I'm more concerned about the 3/5th rookie line there running behind.

Drew has had a lot of carries. He is a guy whose best days are most likely behind him.

Why not just keep Alfred Morris at the beginning of the season and see if Hightower and Helu can get healthy. If not we can put either on IR for the season and sign a veteran free agent as a backup at the minimum.

Under NO circumstances should this team trade players, picks for Drew.

Drew has had a lot of carries. He is a guy whose best days are most likely behind him.

Why not just keep Alfred Morris at the beginning of the season and see if Hightower and Helu can get healthy. If not we can put either on IR for the season and sign a veteran free agent as a backup at the minimum.

Under NO circumstances should this team trade players, picks for Drew.

This is how I feel about it, and what I think will happen. Unfortunately, and although none of the media is even covering it as a possibility, I believe Helu is heading to the IR. It's too quiet--something is up.

I also believe THT will be joining him shortly thereafter.

I fear that we will be scouring around looking for a vet castoff. And let's hope someone helps Shanny with the decision making process this time.

I don't want to hear any "Fast Willie Parker, we like Larry Johnson, let's get McNabb, or I believe John Beck can be a NFL starter" bs.

Someone needs to step in and take the keys from him, or at least give serious input if it comes down to having to make another decision like that.

And I also agree that MJD is incredible, but he won't be around when we need him three years from now. Nor do I want to give up picks for him.

I don't want to hear any "Fast Willie Parker, we like Larry Johnson, let's get McNabb, or I believe John Beck can be a NFL starter" bs.

Someone needs to step in and take the keys from him, or at least give serious input if it comes down to having to make another decision like that.

I'd bet that Shanny grabs a young back off the waiver wire that a team was looking to move to the practice squad if need be. While some of his decision have been.... eh hem, questionable, I trust him with running backs.

This is how I feel about it, and what I think will happen. Unfortunately, and although none of the media is even covering it as a possibility, I believe Helu is heading to the IR. It's too quiet--something is up.

The media is usually all over Helu?

I think you're overthinking this. "Sore" achilles are way different than torn achilles; Helu will play this season. Plus, he's the son of a rugby player, so he's tough.

Hightower and Helu can't get on the field right now. They have gotten almost no work in the preseason.

It's unrealistic to think offensive skill players can just come off the shelf and be effective.

These guys may not be ready to play until Games 2, 3 or even 4 for Hightower.

There is reason for concern here.

Recall that we bought the "I'll be ready for the season" argument in regards to Brown for the past 2 years and we were left with guys being signed off the wire to play RT.

Royster and Morris give us some depth although Helu was the team's only big play threat out of the backfield.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I wonder if Ryan Grant is still an option (not that I necessarily advocate it). I wouldn't make a trade for MJD. We just don't have the resources to make such an investment. And yeah I'm a bit worried about Helu as well.

I wonder if Ryan Grant is still an option (not that I necessarily advocate it). I wouldn't make a trade for MJD. We just don't have the resources to make such an investment. And yeah I'm a bit worried about Helu as well.

He was, and was on his way through the parking lot to sign a contract and broke his foot.

Seriously though...dude is glass! He wouldn't last a full game I don't think.

No way should we trade for a RB.
That's the most easily replaceable position on an entire NFL team.
RB's are a dime a dozen, and even if we get a decent one, it won't matter because our O-line sucks. So if we're going to trade for a player, it damn well better be for a Stud OL-man

Cedric Benson was the best runner available but he has signed and didn't fit the Shanahan system, more of a power rusher.

None of these other backs have been productive recently in the NFL.

Benson at least rushed for 1,000 yards LAST season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.