• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

OF: Space Rocks and Matriculation: The Case for Kirk Cousins

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
For the record, as I write this, my second monitor is sporting jpegs of rabbits feet, four-leaf covers and a random Redskins cheerleader (which may not bring luck but damn). I am also whispering an agnostic's prayer to beat the band.

With that preemptive apologia in mind ...

What if Robert Griffin III, the Washington Redskins prized rookie quarterback and potential "franchise saviour," were to mysteriously go missing this summer, never to be heard from again? Or get clonked on the head by a meterorite, contract amnesia and no longer be able to read the free safety?

You know, what if something bad happens, and it turns out RG3 doesn't Captain My Captain the Redskins out of the woods after all?

The question has to be asked. Not in the abstract, but in the practical, the concrete, the "we better have a Plan B in place or we risk some very real, very unhappy consequences."

One thing the Redskins absolutely could not afford to do was head into 2012 and beyond with no one but RG3 or Andrew Luck (I admit it, there were moments I wondered if knucklehead Indianopolis Colts owner Jim Irsay maybe was that flighty) standing between them and Rex Grossman....

More...

Last edited:
Nice. I still don't understand the negativity towards the pick. We have a Vet QB who can mentor his current replacement, and more importantly his replacement for next year. For whatever Rex's mentoring is worth, anyway. :)

While I was never a fan of the pick, the time for complaining about it is over. He's a Redskin now and it's time to rally around him. We've had 4th round picks in the past that have proved to be much more worthless than what will likely be a 4-year rental so I'm hoping our newest insurance policy works out.

Nice piece, Om. For me the whole Cousins question seemed to boil down to three issues.

1.) Draft another QB? Are the Redskins nuts? You listed obvious, I would think, reasons why this is not the "Worst Idea In The History Of The NFL Draft"

2.)Cousins? Who the hell is this guy? Again, as you mentioned there have been observers-at least those who didn't seem to be locked into a "Let's spew a quck knee-jerk reaction before exmining this" mode-who found reasons to think Cousins has merit as a potential backup QB.

3.)In the fourth round? The Redskins have more pressing needs. This was the only argument that really had the ability to give me pause even after thinking things over for a bit but the trade for RG3 and the drafting of Cousins as putative backup does address the most glaring need-by far-the Redskins had and could arguably be justified on that basis, looking at it from a long-term perspective as opposed to instant gratification.

While I was never a fan of the pick, the time for complaining about it is over. He's a Redskin now and it's time to rally around him. We've had 4th round picks in the past that have proved to be much more worthless than what will likely be a 4-year rental so I'm hoping our newest insurance policy works out.

This is where I'm at with it. Moving on, Cousins is the developmental project. I feel better about the pick knowing they were targeting Omar Bolden at that slot; just bad luck that he was sniped a pick before them.

Nice piece, Om. For me the whole Cousins question seemed to boil down to three issues.

1.) Draft another QB? Are the Redskins nuts? You listed obvious, I would think, reasons why this is not the "Worst Idea In The History Of The NFL Draft"

Not sure if this is reference to my specific comment of this nature, but it was firmly tongue-in-cheek. :D

Not sure if this is reference to my specific comment of this nature, but it was firmly tongue-in-cheek. :D

It wasn't directed at you, Lanky. It was the most common theme I encountered when the reactions first started pouring in.

I picked up on your toungue-in-cheek after giving your comment a bit of thought. :)

I'm over the pick too. And I certainly don't think it was The Worst Pick Ever or anything like that.

In fact, as soon as you all stop trying to explain why the move makes so much darn sense I'll stop talking about it entirely. :)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

agree......

Very nice...loved the 'Captain Oh Captain' line :)

Patrick Ramsey/Taylor Jacobs are still tied for the worst draft picks of all time. :D

Disagree on Ramsey---I think he had a chance to develop into a serviceable starter. He just went to the wrong team at the wrong time.

Not saying it was a great pick, but it wasn't even close to horrible in my view.

THIS, on the other hand...

Andre T. Johnson (born August 25, 1973 in Southampton, New York) is a former American football offensive tackle in the National Football League for the Washington Redskins (1996), the Miami Dolphins (1997), and the Detroit Lions (1997–1998). He played college football at Penn State University and was drafted in the first round of the 1996 NFL Draft. In his NFL career he only played three games, each for the Lions and is usually considered to be one of the worst first round picks of all time.

Andre Johnson is my pick as well. We traded up to draft a LT in the first round and he never even suited up. Oh, and that trade? It was with the Cowboys ...

I refuse to get into the Ramsey debate! I refuse to get into the Ramsey debate!

Regardless... the smily at the end was supposed to signify sarcasm. :)

No worries.

There's no debate anyway. Patrick could have been awesome. :beam:

Clearly we need to score us a righteous sarcasm smiley.

No worries.

There's no debate anyway. Patrick could have been awesome. :beam:

Clearly we need to score us a righteous sarcasm smiley.

I don't think you need to go to that much effort, Om.

I'm thinking the rolleyes smiley :)rolleyes:) or maybe the wink smiley :)betterwink2:) might be enough if it is indeed necessary to point out sarcasm or satire. :(

Got to love any blog entry about football where the author manages to work in a reference to wood chippers. :)

Uh huh huh.....I'm still hung up on matriculation. Sounds dirty.

Yeah, yeah, uh huh

beavis.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.