• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Mock Drafts Thread

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
It will be here before you know it - the 2011 draft. If you see the latest mock from one of your favorite sites, post it here (along with the link of course). Feel free to make one or several of your own. Add your comments, agreements, disagreements, etc.

Here is one from from PFW - released just yesterday.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/02/08/2011-mock-draft-10

1. Carolina Panthers
Da’Quan Bowers | DE | Clemson [Jr.]
A powerful, pass rusher for Ron Rivera to fill the void of Julius Peppers' departure.

2. Denver Broncos
Marcell Dareus | DT | Alabama [Jr.]
The key for John Fox's defense is to have heavy horsepower up front.

3. Buffalo Bills
Patrick Peterson | CB | LSU [Jr.]
Could make an average pass rush look better, bring playmaking return skills.

4. Cincinnati Bengals
A.J. Green | WR | Georgia [Jr.]
The type of mismatch piece to make a disgruntled quarterback happy.

5. Arizona Cardinals
Von Miller | OLB | Texas A&M
A key ingredient for a new defensive coordinator running desired odd front.

6. Cleveland Browns
Nick Fairley | DT | Auburn [Jr.]
An explosive three-technique could make Dick Jauron’s defense go.

7. San Francisco 49ers
Cameron Jordan | DE | California
NFL pedigree, versatility could add rush element to sound defense.

8. Tennessee Titans
Blaine Gabbert | QB | Missouri
Establishing quarterback of the future becomes critical for new head coach Mike Munchak.

9. Dallas Cowboys
J.J. Watt | DE | Wisconsin [Jr.]
Dire need for five-technique brings Watt off board earlier than expected.

10. Washington Redskins
Cam Newton | QB | Auburn [Jr.]
A younger, more powerful Donovan McNabb to solve Shanahan's QB quandary.

11. Houston Texans
Prince Amukamara | CB | Nebraska
Must find way to upgrade league's worst secondary, replace Dunta Robinson.

12. Minnesota Vikings
Adrian Clayborn | DE | Iowa
The Vikings will take chances on medical risks and hit gold with their last Adrian.

More at the above link.

This isn't a specific mock per se but it is, I think, a potentially useful tool for anyone perusing mock drafts. Huddle Report ranks mock drafts on how well they perform and I thought it might prove useful to see what the rankings are. The formula they use is this-the person doing the mock gets 1 point if the player goes in the round they predict-they get 3 points if the player goes with the team the mock predicted.

The site lists both results for the 2010 draft and a chart of the top mockdrafts over the past five seasons. Here's the link.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml

This isn't a specific mock per se but it is, I think, a potentially useful tool for anyone perusing mock drafts. Huddle Report ranks mock drafts on how well they perform and I thought it might prove useful to see what the rankings are. The formula they use is this-the person doing the mock gets 1 point if the player goes in the round they predict-they get 3 points if the player goes with the team the mock predicted.

The site lists both results for the 2010 draft and a chart of the top mockdrafts over the past five seasons. Here's the link.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml

Mel fared a little better than I expected. I've heard him state before that his mocks project a combination of need and "fit", i.e., how a player would fit within a team's scheme.

What makes mocks so hard to predict is that some teams might draft specifically for need one year but take the BPA on their board the next. Each team rates guys differently so it's next to impossible to predict. I'm surprised Kiper, McShay, Gosselin, et al, do as well as they do.

I'm just hoping Shanny goes defense in the first two rounds. While intriguing, Cam Newton's "boom or bust" scares the heck out of me.

NFL Draft Countdown has us taking Mallet at 10th overall. Barf.

Hope the revised mock drafts show us taking someone other than Newton. Have a bad feeling about this kid. Just too many red flags.

We need one or two teams ahead of us to make "WTF picks", leaving 3 top ten players for teams willing to trade up for.

I know I'm not alone hoping to trade back to the bottom 3rd of the 1st rd, and pick up another couple selections to boot.

Fig Newton? Yes

Cam Newton? Hells no!

The more I think about it the smart more will be to trade down if at all possible and look for our future QB later. With Luck out of the picture this year there is no clear cut #1, although I’m sure one will emerge after the combine and individual workouts. We have to be sure we don’t buy into the hype of the flavor of the week and find the right guy for our system. I don’t care where he’s drafted.

If we can’t trade down for whatever reason then we have a big decision to make at 10: Do we “reach” for a QB or do we take the BPA? I go back and forth on this one.

The obvious answer is BPA since we lack talent just about everywhere and a rookie QB isn’t going to ride in on a white horse and save us next season. Hell, they might not even start till mid season or not at all. A DT, or a host of other positions except maybe WR, could step in and contribute right away and make a definite impact. Raising the overall talent level of this team should probably be the number one priority, right?

Still, we all know this franchise is going nowhere without a real starting QB. If the prospects of getting the right guy in free agency aren’t good, and they aren’t, what other choice do we have but to draft someone? Developing a QB takes time, so we might as well get the process started. Besides, when can we expect to pick in the top 10 again and, for what it’s worth, have the pick of the lot for QBs? That has to be worth something.

I love reading the Mocks to try to get a read on what other teams needs are but they are worth what you pay for them.

Apparently Cam Newton put on a show at his personal workout. Trent Dilfer called it "One of the most phenomenal personal workouts I've ever seen."

I've been waiting to hear from this workout and what Dilfer had to say. Not doubting your word at all Lanky, but is this quote and Dilfer's thoughts posted somewhere?

The reason I ask is Dilfer knows the position and usually has very solid analyses on anything football. If he said this, and I'm sure he did, then we need to start thinking of taking him at 10 - if he is there.

That being said, I'd like to see him at a workout for the Redskins or any other scouts. If Newton follows it up with another winner, then we must seriously consider him.

And no to Mallet. The thinking is that he could freefall to rd. 3. Some bad rumors are floating around about him.

Listening to SVP right now with Dilfer as a guest. He is gushing. Said it was the most impressive workout he has seen in quite a while. Said the ball comes out quickly with a lot of power and accuracy. Called him "can't miss".

No link, listening on the radio, sorry.

Differ did acknowledge while the measurables grade out at an A, the intangibles are harder to measure and know. But says he is much more impressive in person than on film. SVP asked if he had any reservations, Dilfer said from a talent evaluation standpoint, absolutely not. No reservations at all.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Wow. That is high praise from Dilfer and he rarely goes to such lengths. Not saying this seals the deal for me, but I would like to see a pro day workout and/or a combine workout. If Newton can produce another winner, then I might be on board.

Rest of the draft would need to be OL though.

I have been against Newton from day one, and still am. Having said that, for Dilfer to be that impressed says a lot and gives me pause. His off the field drama worries me a lot. But Dilfer has me feeling better about his on the field talent.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

We have a scenerio like that at Redskins Park right now. We have what should be an All Pro, All World Defensive lineman that has all the tools, but he's a ****ing basket case. The last thing we need is more of the same

I've been waiting to hear from this workout and what Dilfer had to say. Not doubting your word at all Lanky, but is this quote and Dilfer's thoughts posted somewhere?

The reason I ask is Dilfer knows the position and usually has very solid analyses on anything football. If he said this, and I'm sure he did, then we need to start thinking of taking him at 10 - if he is there.

That being said, I'd like to see him at a workout for the Redskins or any other scouts. If Newton follows it up with another winner, then we must seriously consider him.

And no to Mallet. The thinking is that he could freefall to rd. 3. Some bad rumors are floating around about him.

http://twitter.com/#!/RealRedskins/status/35779821044764672

Thanks for the link Lanky.

Well, things are interesting in the QB dept. again.

With all the drama that has gone on at Redskins Park over the last...I don't know...forever it seems, how in the world could anyone ever think acquiring a potential trouble child (LOOK AT HIS FAMILY!) could possibly be a good idea?

It will be interesting to see how he scores on the wonderlic test. I will place a wager he doesn't score much higher than Vince Young!

Physical ability is only a part of the equation! There are way too many variables involved for us to risk such an important draft on anything that is as close to a 50/50 shot like Cam Newton!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.