• Welcome to the New BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the new software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you find potential glitches, please report those in the Possible New Site Glitches and Issues thread. If you have questions, post them in the New Site Questions? thread.
  • The 2020 Season will be the last for our little community. Following the final WFT game of the 2020 season, the site will close it's doors. We wanted to give you a little advance notice so that you could retrieve any photos, content, or other material from the site before it became unavailable, so that you could exchange contact info with anyone you may desire, and ensure that folks would forgo any site donations going forward. We have had a blast being your favorite Redskins and WFT watering hole for the past decade. We had a great run and each of you were a part of it. Thanks to all of you for your amazing contributions and camaraderie. You made this a special place.

Medical Question

Happy hour starts in 5 minutes

riggins44

The Franchise Player
Reaction score

I am at a complete loss when anything medical is discussed, so have quick question.

My mother fell Friday afternoon. She couldn't put weight on one leg. At ER the x-rays showed a cracked knee cap. Not sure if any other damage. Question is how do you treat a cracked knee cap? We're praying she won't require surgery. Mom is almost 81.

The Orthopedic doctor is off today. She can't see him until tomorrow. Last night and this morning she has been able to get up and move around. No longer needs pain medicine.

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score

Army

If she can move her leg around ok (which the doc will ask her to do) they will put her in an immobilizing brace because of her age. If there is severely limited movement, or a lot of damage internally, they will operate on it.

Even with her age, surgery on that type of injury is not as serious as other knee surgeries at all. They make a small incision on the front of the knee, and pin the pieces together. Just make sure she stays off of it until she sees the ortho.

Miles Monroe

Coaching Staff
Staff member
Reaction score

A girl I dated many years ago fractured her knee cap. She had to spend about a month in jordan splint. I also had to wear a jordan for an severe sprain on my ACL. They go from the ankle to the hip, and fasten with velcro, so there easily removed for bathing.

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score

Army

I always wondered what they called those. I had to wear one for 6 weeks after a dislocation. Uncomfortable to attempt walking in, it's like having a peg leg.

Miles Monroe

Coaching Staff
Staff member
Reaction score

I always wondered what they called those. I had to wear one for 6 weeks after a dislocation. Uncomfortable to attempt walking in, it's like having a peg leg.
Ya, it's not the most fun to have on for an extended period. I use to unstrap the top so I could drive to work.

riggins44

The Franchise Player
Reaction score

Thanks for the 411. She goes this morning to see the doctor. I just hope and pray there isn't additional damage or surgery required.

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score

Army

Thanks for the 411. She goes this morning to see the doctor. I just hope and pray there isn't additional damage or surgery required.
If she doesn't need pain meds and can get around pretty good, I'd be breathing a huge sigh of relief. I've had severe knee problems in both knees for years, and with my experience, it seems that even the most minor tears, pulls, strains, etc. would require either pain meds or near total immobilization to even comprehend a thought properly. The knee is a pretty sensitive joint.

riggins44

The Franchise Player
Reaction score

My wife has had knee problems, plus arthritis for years. She takes white raisins soaked in gin for arthritis.

riggins44

The Franchise Player
Reaction score

Mom got a good report yesterday. She does not require any surgery. Huge relief for her, my dad, siblings, and I.

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score

Army

Awesome news, glad to hear it. Thanksgiving should be that much more enjoyable for your entire family now :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.
    Chat 0