• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Likes - Are you a giver or a taker?

tshile

Just for fun :)

Click on 'My Profile' in the top right of the screen. On the left side you'll see some statistics, one for likes given one for likes received. We'll do the ratio as Likes Given : Likes Receive. So divide Given, by recieved. 1 would mean you're even, under 1 you take more than you give, above 1 you give more than you take.

At .9375 I take slightly more than I give ;)

59 received, 108 given. Eh, I don't worry about the likes - just give 'em when I see something good, funny, nice, etc.

1.29 - I'm a giver. But I've always been a pretty generous person. :)

There's a simple explanation though. I'm more likeable than the rest of you. :)

I actually think a more meaningful ratio would be posts liked/total posts. In other words, quality of posts. We could probably create it for your post bit if we ever wanted to.

I actually think a more meaningful ratio would be posts liked/total posts. In other words, quality of posts. We could probably create it for your post bit if we ever wanted to.

That would be interesting to see it graphed ;)

You'd have to do it for only the posts made after the update though...I've got roughly 10K posts that weren't able to be liked. :D

I doubt we'll bother with it but I did think about it.

You'd have to do it for only the posts made after the update though...I've got roughly 10K posts that weren't able to be liked. :D

Most for very good reasons. I'm just sayin. :whoknows: :) ;l

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I'd like to have the button that promises us $5,000 from Bill Gates.

47 Received
122 Given

Some people have inflated numbers though. Like getting a like just for disagreeing with someone that another person dislikes. I don't give likes for that, because it's pitiful. You have to earn it dammit :D

47 Received
122 Given

Some people have inflated numbers though. Like getting a like just for disagreeing with someone that another person dislikes. I don't give likes for that, because it's pitiful. You have to earn it dammit :D

I really dislike THIS post. Reeks of scorn for your fellow members.

People LIKE what they LIKE. Less scorn, more respect. You'll get more likes, I promise.

54 received
7 given

Apparently I'm a bit of a douche. :)

Oh my. Where do I begin with this?

First I'm going to let people know what my intent is when I "Like" a post. I don't mean any harm (meaning I hope no one tries to take this wrong) but when I click "Like" that means I like the post-I like what someone said-it has nothing whatsoever to do with who they are. As it so happens I kinda like everybody here so even if you post something that is just fine but doesn't stand out to me or even is something I think is kinda dumb and I don't click the "Like" button that doesn't mean I don't like you. O.K., got it?

I take the same view when people like something I post-it's a good feeling for sure but in no way, shape or form am I going to take it as a reflection of what that person thinks of me in general-I consider doing that excessive and begging to be either legitimized or insulted respectively-rather passive-aggressive actually.

Oh, my numbers? I don't know, I don't pay attention.

One of the less delightful side-effects of Facebook is a sense of competitiveness I perceive based on what seem to be estimates of "popularity" based on how many "Likes" somebody receives. I have actually seen people post complaints about not getting any or enough "Likes" and have been both amazed and dismayed by that phenomenon. I just have to laugh and shake my head at that one. If I post something on FB-or here, for that matter-I'm notified and think a silent "Hey, thanks for that" to whoever did and move on. Counting "Likes" either received or given just never occurs to me and the idea of a "You have received more likes than you gave" or vice-versa as some sort of graded "worthiness selection" mechanism is not going to get a "Like" from this observer.

In other words this ain't High School. The Likes feature is a fun little add-on (one about 1/2 the membership asked for btw). That's all it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.