• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Let's Be Positive! :D

Knightingale

The Team Captain
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
There's alot of debate and alot of talk about the issues the Redskins have on various other threads.

So many we need to talk about the positives in a feel good thread :D

Not sure how many of you read Rich Tandlers Real Redskins site, but there was a post up about the 5 players who have exceeded expectations this year. I was gonna link it, but it's short enough for me to C&P it here so here you go...

Five who have exceeded expectations

We all think we have things figured out before the season starts and then they actually start playing and we are surprised. Some players we didn’t expect to contribute much have stepped up to play key roles. Here are five who have exceeded expectations.

S/CB Kysheon Jarrett—He was gong to come in and help out on special teams and maybe play a few snaps a game at safety. But when the team was short on cornerbacks in training camp, the fifth-round pick stepped up and volunteered to help out. Now he is the team’s starting slot corner and playing so well that there are legitimate questions over what do to with him when the veteran corners are healthy.

WR Jamison Crowder—He was going to be the punt returner while learning to be a wide receiver. But he is third on the team in both catches (32) and receiving yards (292). If he catches 18 more passes over the remaining nine games he will be the first Redskins rookie to record 50 receptions in a season since Art Monk in 1980.

DE Chris Baker—The Redskins signed Stephen Paea to a healthy free agent contact and that was supposed to push Baker into a reserve role. But Baker has been getting more action from the start of the season; he has 238 snaps in seven games to 104 for Paea in six. And he has made plays, posting 3.5 sacks to tie for the team lead, forcing two fumbles and recovering one.

RB Chris Thompson—Could he stay healthy enough to make the team? And what would he be able to do if he made it? He stayed on the field throughout the offseason and training camp, made the team and has done a solid job as the third-down and passing situations back.

K Dustin Hopkins—There was an uproar when Kai Forbath was released and Hopkins, who had not yet put his instep to a football in an NFL game that counted, was signed. But, though a small sample size, Hopkins has proven to be just as accurate as the kicker he replaced; his only miss cam from over 50 yards, a distance from which Forbath rarely even tried. His kickoffs boom into the end zone with great frequency, but that’s a standard expectation for an NFL kicker these days. His “magic” onside kicks are just a bonus.

I'd probably add Breeland to the list if it were me. I think he's been one of our MVP's this year.

We don't have many game changers on the team (if any) but his name consistently pops up every week. Making crucial tackles or grabbing turnovers etc.

What are everyone elses bright spots?

Moses emerging as pretty good, even some saying that he's a top RT....... when many wrote him off after last season.
Recall several comments (ahem) that he couldn't get Tyler off the field, bust pick.

Agree with Bash doing a great job.

Moses does get a nod from me. Didn't he have a lisfranc issue at the end of last season, too... ?

Nick

Love that there are UNEXPECTED bright spots, something we've lacked in years past. My favorite one is probably Moses... I was ready to write him off after last season, but to turn it around so much from year 1 - 2 is a major positive. I hope we can get this run game figured out though, we're gonna need it.

Special Teams. From the low of week one, when they arguably lost the game giving up a late punt return TD, to the recent trend of not just holding their own and looking like a professional unit, but contributing ... KO return TD against Giants, blocked punt vs Jets, KO's through the end zone, long FG's ... holding my breath still, but unfair not to give a nod.

HopSKINS coming in and within 1 week securing and shoring up our kicking game. Way has a leg that seems to be on hydraulics. We always are able to kick them deep in to their own territory.

Love the combo of Knighton, Paea, and Baker as well. They bring an attitude and toughness to the DL that we haven't seen in forever. Pot Roast has to be doubled every play or else you will see him 3 yards deep at least in the backfield.

Moses emerging as pretty good, even some saying that he's a top RT....... when many wrote him off after last season.
Recall several comments (ahem) that he couldn't get Tyler off the field, bust pick.

Agree with Bash doing a great job.

I have to admit, I was one of the naysayers, especially after the injury. Glad to see he's getting noticed.

And Breeland should be on that list.

Love that there are UNEXPECTED bright spots, something we've lacked in years past.

Me too! It's what's made me fairly relaxed about this season. I can see bright spots everywhere. :D
Thought we needed a thread to celebrate that.

We can debate all the bad stuff in other threads :D

HopSKINS coming in and within 1 week securing and shoring up our kicking game. Way has a leg that seems to be on hydraulics. We always are able to kick them deep in to their own territory.

Love the combo of Knighton, Paea, and Baker as well. They bring an attitude and toughness to the DL that we haven't seen in forever. Pot Roast has to be doubled every play or else you will see him 3 yards deep at least in the backfield.

Amen to both of those. :D

If someone put a gun to my head and asked me which thing I think singularly has made the biggest difference so far this year I'd have to think carefully but HopSKINS would be right on the tip of my tongue.

It is uncanny how at the time it happened I was like WHAAAAAAT?!?! I knew Forbath wasn't great but I thought we had bigger fish to fry at that point.

But it's been a revelation to us. We're so much better in that aspect of the game now. It's the one piece of the puzzle I feel like we can rely on every week.

Just for kicks......:wink-new:

Who cuts a kicker a week into the season? Why, the Washington Redskins, of course.
The Redskins were ridiculed when they released Kai Forbath, who was the most accurate kicker in franchise history, just a week into the season.......
Dustin Hopkins, the man who replaced Forbath, is 11 for 12 on field goals, his only miss coming from 53 yards out, and perfect on his 13 PATs.........
In six games with Washington, the Redskins have trusted Hopkins enough to attempt three kicks from at least 50 yards; in Forbath's 41 games with the Redskins, he went just 2-for-4 from 50+ yards. And while he made all 11 of his kicks from 40-49 yards in his first season in Washington, he went 12-for-16 in the years since. Hopkins is 2-for-2 from that range.

Bunch more at the link, particularly how the kickoff thing is going compared to 2014
Washington Redskins Stat of the Week: Dustin Hopkins - Hogs Haven

What's refreshing is that we're playing younger players. We've built up mediocre players into starters, who it turns out in some cases, are really no better than the young guys.

One thing, however, is that we're still talking about the ineffective pass rush. Murphy isn't a disruptive force, but Jeffcoat could be. I still think Compton is an upgrade for Riley.

And, Kerrigan's injury, along with his rustiness will give us a chance to see more of Smith...not a bad thing.

I can't say I wouldn't mind seeing Jeffcoat get some snaps. And I think you're right on the Compton call...I liked Riley, but he is either injured or played above his skill level for a couple years. He wasn't great, but was a solid LB...I think he started to regress when London retired.

We've cleaned out a lot of players the last two years. 2015 is not the start of the rebuilding, we have been doing it. Only you don't see immediate progress because of the youth. But once they come into their own, they will all be good at the same time. That's what we are banking on.

We have many players that have some issues, but we don't want to unload them. The linebackers for instance should stay for special teams and backups. But the competition process will bring in better LB's and we will find our starters. Same with the secondary.

The X factor is the quarterback position. Meanwhile the rest of the team is progressing as planned, McClou and Gruden will pull it all together. I'm pretty sure about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.