• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Landscaping Tips For Dummies

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
It's the time of year when the weather finally turns nice, and people decide to spend billions improving their lawns and landscapes. Unfortunately for most, they don't have the knowledge to buy the proper tools or products, and end up spending good money on terrible products, and spend more money on those same terrible products after they don't work, because they think they did something wrong. I can tell you with absolute certainty that no matter how much of an amateur you are at this, it's almost always the product, not the consumer, when it comes to this market. With that being said, please continue to read if you plan on spending some money on landscaping any time soon, so you don't waste your money.

For those who are unaware, I was a professional landscaper for 17 years. I did all aspects top to bottom in this field for 50-60 hours a week for that entire time. I am more than qualified to speak on this, because it is the one area I can confidently say I am an expert in.

The first thing you need to know, is Scott's isn't popular because they're good. They're popular, because they are masters at marketing their products, and they spend truckloads of money with the best minds in advertising to create the illusion of superiority they have among consumers. I won't say everything they sell is terrible, because their weed and feed is untouchable - the best on the market by a wide margin. In general though, do not waste money on Scott's/Turfbuilder/Etc., because there are far superior products on the market. Some cost more, some cost less, all work better. Their mulch is decent looking enough, but most of it is dyed with cheap dye that washes off after a few rains, and then you just end up with mulch in your beds that looks pink. It's ridiculous.

Best Fertilizer - Lesco, if you can find it. If you can't find it, it's worth paying to have it delivered. Fertilizer is one of those things where people don't think it matters, but it does. Lesco fertilizer will not stain anything, it won't kill anything unless you dump a pile on it, and it dissolves pretty rapidly, but the nutrients stay available in the soil for a long time.

Best seed - Rebel. Period. Complain about the price all you want, there's a reason it's expensive. Rebel will grow anywhere, any time of year. I have never seen another seed that even compares. The blades come in thick, dense, dark green, and I have never seen a weed in a yard seeded with Rebel. If you are obsessed with having the best looking lawn, it's the only way to go.

Best mulch - Anything that doesn't come in a bag is the best mulch you can get. Look up local garden centers and greenhouses. Most have mulch, almost all deliver. It is as fresh as you can get it - rarely more than 7 days old, and it looks and smells infinitely better than anything you will ever find in a bag. In the long run, it costs a lot less too. One cubic yard can run anywhere from $25-$65. One yard in bags would usually take about 15 bags at $5 or so each.

Do not lay hay when you seed your yard. It serves no purpose, no matter what you've always done, or what you've always been told. What it does do, is prohibit good growth. It takes a long time to rot away, and because of that it doesn't allow grass to come up anywhere that it makes contact with the dirt. Also, due to the very slow rot time, it doesn't act as a natural fertilizer for the seed. Instead, it has become so acidic by the time it rots away, that it kills some of the grass in the area. It doesn't prevent birds or other animals from eating it either, and in fact the only seeded yards I see birds eating seed from are the ones that have the hay down, because the moisture barrier it creates makes worms surface, which attracts birds, who also eat the seeds when worm hunting. It doesn't prevent seed from washing away either, the seeds will float when there's enough rain, no matter what you lay on it.

Only use about 3/4 as much fertilizer as you do seed. If your yard takes 100 lbs of seed, you only need about 75 lbs of fertilizer. A lot of people do pound for pound - don't do that, your yard will talk about you behind your back when it's dying.

When you seed your yard, you need to water the hell out of it every day for at least the first 2 weeks. I'm talking 30 minutes of watering twice a day for 14 days. If you just throw down seed and don't water the hell out of it, you did nothing but waste your money. And don't you dare cut it for those two weeks either, or it will slap you in the face for being an idiot.

If you have bald spots or large areas where grass won't grow - there's a reason it won't grow. Don't waste money on bald spot patch crap like Scott's sells, it's a joke. It's extremely temporary, and if you have the urge to waste that kind of money so freely, I'll give you your address so you can send me the money you would've spent instead. Or give me your address, and I'll come take your wallet.

With bald spots, it is almost always one of three reasons. The biggest reason for an area of dirt is too much shade. If you really want grass growing there, cut some trees down. Grass doesn't grow in the woods. If it isn't too much shade, and it's still bald, you have a highly acidic area in your lawn. Luckily for you, there's a simple fix - dump a shitload of pelletized lime on it. It sweetens up the soil and lets grass grow. If you try this in pure shade, you're wasting your money. Stop it, stop it right now.

The third very common thing most people are completely unaware of, is the cause of yellow spots in your yard. The main cause by far is a female dog pissing in that spot. Planting more seed there will do nothing. Females have an enzyme in their urine that is the equivalent of dumping acid on your yard. If you have multiple areas, and they just happens to be along the road, sidewalk, etc., now you know why. If you have a female dog, and you have these spots in your yard, blame her. For some unknown reason, not all breeds do this. It tends to be confined to large or larger medium sized breeds. I don't know why. A lot of people will look at these patches and say it's brown patch. Even "pros" at stores will tell you that, then try to sell you some crap that won't work. You aren't fixing brown patch without help from a company that treats it. The easiest way to tell if it's brown patch, is to rub your bare foot on it. All brown patch is slimy, like someone dumped hair gel on it. It doesn't always look slimy, and I can't recall but a few times ever where it did, but it will always feel like pure slime.

Crabgrass preventer is the biggest hoax ever perpetuated on the gullible homeowner. It isn't real. I don't care how many people tell you it works, or how many articles you read on it, it is a fairytale. Every single crabgrass prevention product is made by the same source company, and they spent millions recruiting industry pros to spread the word on the wonders of it to mutually benefit financially. The biggest clue is that if it could work, it would have to be applied in the dead of Winter. I won't bore you with the reasons why, but it will not work. I promise. The only way to get rid of crab grass is to kill your entire yard.

Don't waste money trying to remove or kill Bermuda grass. You will never, ever, ever win. Ever. Embrace it or move. Even if you kill it and dig it up, it will always come back.

One honest thing I can tell you about this industry - everything that claims it attracts certain insects does, and if it claims to repel certain insects, it does too. Not everything they tell you is a lie, just most of it.

One important thing to remember, is fairytale hot words for sales are products that do not do a word of what they claim. There is no grass that will grow without water. There is no fertilizer that will never burn anything even if you spill it into a pile. There is no seed that holds moisture better, there is no grass that grows in shade, and there is no such thing as heat tolerant fescue. Anything that says "Super" or "Canadian" or "Vegas".........total bullshit.

If you plant flowers in your beds, water them every day. Don't drown them, but they will stagnate fairly quickly if you do not water them daily.

If you plant a tree, always buy the tree spike fertilizer to put in the ground, it will keep you from becoming a tree murderer.

If there's anything I didn't cover, don't hesitate to ask. Questions with certain plants, grasses, lawn questions, soil questions, irrigation, anything. I'll be happy to help you out.

Great info! I will be asking you questions about lawn care when I get caught up on my other projects!

I have a bag of scott's water-absorbing shade grass on my table to put on my dirt patch in the sahde.

I do everything wrong when it comes to this.

Thank you for that, it's appreciated.

Damnit.

BTW - I did take the advice you gave me last year and didn't throw straw down on my seed and i've been watering it.

Not twice a day though :(

Quick question - everyone tells me it hard to grow grass in spring in Northern VA? True, kinda true, bs?

BTW - I did take the advice you gave me last year and didn't throw straw down on my seed and i've been watering it.

Not twice a day though :(

Quick question - everyone tells me it hard to grow grass in spring in Northern VA? True, kinda true, bs?
Normally, yes. Fall is almost always the best time of year. The reason being, it's usually 80s and humid this time of year around here. THat allows the grass to come up great, but kills it with fungus within weeks. THis year though, the weather has been so perfect that I would recommend seeding now if you're wanting to seed. we've had 65-75 for highs, and 50-60 for lows, and the humidity outside of a few days has been really low. It's perfect weather for it in Virginia this year.

I have a bag of scott's water-absorbing shade grass on my table to put on my dirt patch in the sahde.

I do everything wrong when it comes to this.

Thank you for that, it's appreciated.

Damnit.
It's not that you're doing anything wrong, it just goes back to what I said about Scott's being experts at marketing. I really can't think of any other company that is that good at marketing a totally bs product than they are. The stuff comes in really thick, and it looks amazing, so people think it's awesome. But then the fertilizer breaks down, and the filler they include with it breaks down, and the grass goes away with it. If your patch is in the shade, the only thing that will ever get grass to grow is topping out some trees to let more sunlight through, or cutting down trees completely. Topping out is a great option, because you get to keep the tree, and at about 10% of the cost of cutting it down.

On that note, don't ever let a company cut a tree down for you, then talk you into keeping the wood chips from the stump grinding to use as mulch. They hype it only because they don't want to haul it off, which they have to do if you ask them to. Those wood chips rot and smell like a combination of urine and apple juice, and attract every insect you don't want in and around your house, it's awful stuff.

I actually know a good deal about this subject. Great posts... bravo!

My wife and I were talking about this today, and she had been looking up info and I said I would ask in this thread. Here are a few questions she came up with. We are trying not to load our yard up with all kinds of chemicals since we will have a little one playing in it very soon. As I sid in another post I don't really know squat about this, she knows some. Thanks in advance!!

What is a good low to no pesticide fertilizer? Speaking of lack of pesticide, is there a weed killer that is organic? Is spot treating with vinegar concoction the only option? We have read that soil test is a must, is that where we need to start?

Poop across your lawn.

My wife and I were talking about this today, and she had been looking up info and I said I would ask in this thread. Here are a few questions she came up with. We are trying not to load our yard up with all kinds of chemicals since we will have a little one playing in it very soon. As I sid in another post I don't really know squat about this, she knows some. Thanks in advance!!

What is a good low to no pesticide fertilizer? Speaking of lack of pesticide, is there a weed killer that is organic? Is spot treating with vinegar concoction the only option? We have read that soil test is a must, is that where we need to start?
All of the homemade concoctions you see online are bogus. Literally every single one of them. Soap mixtures don't kill weeds, vinegar doesn't kill weeds, and boiling water doesn't kill weeds. What it does do, is burn away what's visible on the surface, while the roots keep spreading. Eventually what you end up with, is a massive uprising of weeds all over the place, when you wouldn't have had that problem if you just dug up the root or sprayed an herbicide on it to begin with.

As far as your question about no pesticide fertilizer - that would be all of them unless it says weed and feed. Fertilizer itself contains no pesticides. If you want a more organic fertilizer, several brands sell one made from chicken shit that works great, but has a strange lingering burnt chocolate smell to it, and because of it's color, you can't really tell where you've already spread it.

Soil tests are almost always unnecessary unless you have a pretty serious and/or confusing problem. I could almost certainly tell you exactly what was wrong with your soil, just based on a description of what's going on without me even having to look at it, and a soil sample would confirm it. The most common reason people get their soil tested is because they can't grow grass. As much of a common sense thing as it seems to people, most of these people have either a huge tree over the bald spot that drops crap all year long, or they have dogs. Once in a blue moon, the problem will be moles. On that note, if you have a mole problem, none of those traps is anything more than an overpriced bandaid. If you want them to be gone and stay gone, spread Milky Spore. The moles eat grubs, grubs eat milky spore. Kill the food source, get rid of the moles. When the grubs eat Milky Spore and die, they release it into the soil to kill even more grubs. It's harmless to everything but grubs too, so it's a win-win. It takes about a year and a half to rid yourself of the mole problem, but it's a permanent fix, when hiring an exterminator or setting up traps is just an expensive and temporary solution.

For organic weed killer, I just don't like them. There are two types of weed killer - systemic and contact. Roundup is a systemic weed killer, which goes all the way into the root, and completely kills the entire thing regardless of weather conditions. Contact herbicides require you to almost completely saturate all visible parts of the weed,have no rain, have hot weather, and they not only kill the plants around it, but they only kill what's on the surface, which essentially does nothing more than delay your problem instead of fixing it. All organic herbicides are contact herbicides, so I hate all of them. However, if you insist on using them, Avenger is the best one, although best compared to horrible isn't really a gleaming review. The fear of Roundup is due to the campaign against Monsanto by many people. But I've used Roundup for decades that is commercial grade, and excessively more potent than anything you could buy without a license. I have kids, and I have dogs, and I have done more research as required for licensing than anyone in the anti-Monsanto crowd ever will, and I have absolutely no problem using it regularly. That either makes me the most evil human being on Earth, or it makes Roundup harmless, I'll let you decide :). I watched a coworker drink a cup full of concentrated Roundup and he didn't have a single ill effect from it. Even independent research and testing has proven it's harmless unless you start sprouting leaves and a root system. When it's dry it's inert unless you're a plant. The anti-Monsanto crowd will say the opposite, but scientific tests do not back their claims. A few countries banned it based on irrational fear without studies being done, and every website claiming it's harmful cites no evidence to support it, just propaganda and theories. You can make your own decision on what to do obviously, but it works the best by a landslide, and unless you have the worst yard in the world, you will hardly ever need it anyway. It only takes 20-30 minutes to dry and be absorbed into the weeds.

Also, on the vinegar thing again - it will acidify your yard if you use it in a grassy area. The grass within the pour zone will die, and you will go from a weed to a bald spot that will remain sterile for a few months.

Thanks! I will pass this information on! Our yard in general is not in bad shape, It just has a few areas of concern.

Actually Nobody, once you have a good lawn established, there are 'organic' homemade concoctions you can make that will do wonders for your grass. I'm not talking about weed control - I think you are right on that front. I don't worry about my lawn/grass nowadays - it's just too much work to worry about where I live and I'd rather spend my time outside gardening, not pursuing the perfect lawn. But back when I did have a nice lawn, I used a lot of Jerry Baker's 'tonics'/homemade garden sprays, and my grass was so pretty I had people stopping and knocking on my door asking me what I was doing. I know it sounds weird, but this basic sprays that call for mixing things like ammonia (pure nitrogen), beer, dishwashing liquid, molasses, work amazingly well. I hate the term 'organic', because it's a meaningless word (arsenic is 'organic' :)). But I found his homemade sprays really effective and you'll see dramatic results.

Tips and Tonics

Thanks! I will pass this information on! Our yard in general is not in bad shape, It just has a few areas of concern.
Because of the weather in your area, you should try something called fine fescue. It isn't as popular up there as Kentucky blue grass, so it could be harder to find, but it does better in that type of climate than any other grass. It will be listed under fine fescue or chewing fescue, depending on the brand. I've used two before - one was phenomenal, the other was horrible. The good one was this stuff......

Barenbrug 50 lb. Bridgeport II chewing Fescue Grass Seed-25077 at The Home Depot

It's pretty expensive, but you can't kill the stuff.

A cheaper alternative is red creeping fescue, which is about 1/3 the cost and looks awesome, and you usually mix it with Kentucky blue grass so you can mow it without destroying it.

sweet post! I'm not a gardening type...but it saves money so I'm learning now!

so....we have a wrap-around porch with a gondola-like structure at one corner. had a majestic Willow tree in front that framed the Gondola beautifully. Hurricane knocked the tree over (shallow roots). we have been trying ever since to plant new ones. they all die on us.

any recs?

Actually Nobody, once you have a good lawn established, there are 'organic' homemade concoctions you can make that will do wonders for your grass. I'm not talking about weed control - I think you are right on that front.
Weed control was the topic being discussed :)

Once a lawn is established, it's hard to screw it up unless you just flat out quit caring for it. It's more the lawn self regulating after it's established than it is homemade stuff actually doing something for it. If you have a great solid lawn that's thick and full, you could dump cheeseburgers on it and it wouldn't kill it. It doesn't make cheeseburgers good for your lawn though.

All week end in yard. A once a year ritual at this point

This past winter was rough on my poor yard

sweet post! I'm not a gardening type...but it saves money so I'm learning now!

so....we have a wrap-around porch with a gondola-like structure at one corner. had a majestic Willow tree in front that framed the Gondola beautifully. Hurricane knocked the tree over (shallow roots). we have been trying ever since to plant new ones. they all die on us.

any recs?
Plant it further away from your house. In most cases, the tree was there first, and that's the only reason it did so good to begin with. If the house was there first, the problem is one that could take 7-10+ years to wait out.

What happens, even when a tree with shallow roots is uprooted in a manner that seems almost 100%, is you still have a massive network of roots that remain underground. Without a tree to attach to, those roots slowly rot. On a tree with shallow roots, the rotting leftovers make the soil pretty nasty for about 7-10 years, and sometimes even longer.

The problem also could be that the soil just went to shit from being under a tree for so long. With a willow, that's a very good possibility. In that case, there is something you could do, but it will be late February before you can plant the tree there again, to reduce stress on it. For that, buy two 40lb bags of pelletized lime. Map out an area in the dirt under where the tree was, and cover the entire area with 20lbs of the lime, and water it for about 10 minutes. Do that every other month, then when you go to plant the tree or trees in late February/early March, stick one of these under it and water the hell out of the tree every day for the first three weeks........

PACBIALGNHMAEIME.jpg

All brands work the same, just get any of them.

If the dirt there is dusty like baby powder, you'll have to till in some compost or peat moss (lots of it) before doing what I just listed above.

Weed control was the topic being discussed :)

Once a lawn is established, it's hard to screw it up unless you just flat out quit caring for it. It's more the lawn self regulating after it's established than it is homemade stuff actually doing something for it. If you have a great solid lawn that's thick and full, you could dump cheeseburgers on it and it wouldn't kill it. It doesn't make cheeseburgers good for your lawn though.

Fair enough. And the thread title is 'Landscaping Tips for Dummies' :) I'm speaking from experience - the tonics Jerry Baker promotes work. And that's coming from a gardening purist who doesn't typically go for that kind of thing. If you want to discount my experience (when you just have an 'opinion', haven't tried it, and my statement doesn't fit into your paradigm), that's fine. I'll stop talking to you. SC - if you want to have a beautiful lawn - try some of the tonics. You will see results in 2-4 days. I wouldn't overdo them, the ammonia is straight nitrogen and while it will make your lawn beyond green, like most fertilizers if you over do it, you'll promote leaf growth at the expense of root growth. It's not cheeseburgers...there is some science behind Baker's methods.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.