• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Is a pass rushing linebacker THE highest priority in the draft?

Skinzfan

The Rookie
Reaction score
Military Branch
Coast Guard
Mike Shanahan said on Friday the Redskins need another pass-rushing linebacker to complement Orakpo in the team’s 3-4 defense.

It’s a priority for the club, Shanahan said.

“I think it ranks right at the top [of Redskins’ personnel needs,” Shanahan said in a media briefing at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

He added: “Obviously when you have any consistent defense, using the 3-4, you’ve got to have two great outside pass rushers, a great nose tackle and a great safety.”

So,
The experts say Von Miller is the best but likely gone by the #10 pick.
However, they also say UCLA’s Akeem Ayers is the second best and should be available at #10. If we take Shanahan's word for it (some of you say he is misleading or downright lying when he talks to reporters) then I ask you:

1. Is a pass-rushing linebacker THE highest priority for the team this draft?
My opinion, yes.

2. If it is, and Von Miller is gone by the #10 pick but Ayers is there, should we take Ayers?
My opinion, yes.

3. If we take Ayers, what do we target in the 2nd round?
My opinion, nose tackle; specifically Phil Taylor.

4. If they take a pass rushing linebacker with the #1 and a nose tackle with the #2, is there an opportunity to shore up the offensive line in the 5th (2 picks), 6th (1 pick), and 7th rounds (2 picks)?
My opinion, yes. The draft is deep in O-line quality. I am not counting out Capers and Cook yet from OTAs and training camp one, the other, or both will emerge.

Your turn.

While pass-rushing LB is a high-priority, so is DE, NT and OL.

IF he's available, and assuming Von Miller and AJ Green are gone, I'd prefer Robert Quinn to Ayers but that's only IF Marcell Dareus is off the board. Otherwise, Dareus would be my first round pick with either Phil Taylor, Brooks Reed or Rodney Hudson as my second rounder. So many holes, so few picks.

I'm leaning more and more towards QB as the #1 priority. Can't win without a quality signal-caller back there. The hard truth is that the Redskins aren't going to be a real threat next season, even if they upgrade everywhere - unless they've got a winner behind center. If Shanahan sees someone he likes enough to take at #10, I'm all for it.

1. Is a pass-rushing linebacker THE highest priority for the team this draft?
My opinion, yes.

2. If it is, and Von Miller is gone by the #10 pick but Ayers is there, should we take Ayers?
My opinion, yes.

3. If we take Ayers, what do we target in the 2nd round?
My opinion, nose tackle; specifically Phil Taylor.

4. If they take a pass rushing linebacker with the #1 and a nose tackle with the #2, is there an opportunity to shore up the offensive line in the 5th (2 picks), 6th (1 pick), and 7th rounds (2 picks)?
My opinion, yes. The draft is deep in O-line quality. I am not counting out Capers and Cook yet from OTAs and training camp one, the other, or both will emerge.

1. I am more on the NT bandwagon myself with rush LB a close second. To me it comes down to whether or not Taylor is a better NT than Ayers is rush backer.

2. I don't know enough about Ayers to say.

3. I don't think Taylor will last till our pick in round 2. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone by #20.

4. There is always a chance to pick up linemen late, it is just a matter of picking the right guys.

And I keep seeing guys say we have 2 7th round picks but I can't find anything official on that.

3. I don't think Taylor will last till our pick in round 2. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone by #20.

I've been saying this for awhile - impact guys on the DL in the 3-4 are hard to find, and this is the type of player someone will "reach" on.

I agree with Arrington. Move down in Round 1 and take Taylor in the teens.

Use a later pick gained in trade on an offensive lineman.

It is a high priority, but I think we are in a position to take best player available. Whoever is the highest on our board should be picked. We should not go based on need.

Now, I am a fan of trading down, especially since we have limited picks. I also agree with Lanky, that we need a signal caller. If we do draft QB, I really hope we end up with one of the senior's: Locker, Dalton, or McElroy.

If the Skins are looking at 2011 as a "build for the future year" then I have no problem with them taking the opposite bookend from Orakpo with their first pick---assuming a guy they truly love there is available. You would do that knowing that guy isn't going to be ready to truly hold down that position for at least a couple of years.

If the Skins are looking at 2011 as a year they realistically expect to content for a playoff spot, they need to either take the BPA with their first pick IF they think that guy can contribute meaningfully as a rookie...or use the pick on a QB if they think they can find the right guy when they finally do pick.

Priority 1 for this tieam, though, as it has been for a generation, is still QB.

Hmph, ...Om.....it's about time you showed up. I understand that life intervenes, but intermittent just don't cut it, o.k.?!? :rolleyes::D

(Just kidding, bro'. Welcome back, you've been missed.)

Given the chronic QB need the Redskins have had for...well, some time now, I'd like to pose a question to you. First, do any of the current crop strike your fancy with enough emphasis that they could displace a need along the lines of an NT, RG, WR, or an Orakpo bookend OLB? For me, and this is strictly my semi-informed opinion, none really do which poses a dilemma I have yet to resolve. It's entirely possible, I think, for the Redskins to find highly rated draftees at several of the positions I listed-including QB, still undrafted as #10 approaches. Given that scenario I'd go for a BPA approach knowing some major need will be addressed but that may not include a QB-unless one like Kapernik or a "not all over the sports media mocks" happens to be there-a diamond in the rough type.

My question, then, is this; in you opinion would the need for a QB override the idea of a BPA approach at #10-or even #41? I'm interested in input because I honestly haven't made my mind up on this.

Serv,

Thanks for the welcome and polite kick in the pants. :)

Intermittent ain't so bad on old models like me you know. It's these danged newfangled (read: late-20th and early-21st century) models that have intermittent settings with infinite speed settings, where the slowest is ... like ... geologic.

Not sure how to answer your question w/o spelling out my entire draft/FA philosophy about this team this year. I'll be working on that to post at SOME point, but given I'm on geologic time right now not sure when that'll be.

SO ... quickies:

do any of the current crop strike your fancy with enough emphasis that they could displace a need along the lines of an NT, RG, WR, or an Orakpo bookend OLB?

Truth is I haven't had time to scan the FA market to give even a semi-informed answer to this. Have to weigh everything from McNabb to Grossman to Beck to the FA crop to the quality of the QB draft crop to the depth/quality of the general draft crop against whatever Shanahan/Allen/Haslett determine is the adjusted direction we're headed.

Intent is to take a stab at a coherent analysis of that at some point prior to the Draft.

Assuming there is one.

My question, then, is this; in you opinion would the need for a QB override the idea of a BPA approach at #10-or even #41? I'm interested in input because I honestly haven't made my mind up on this.

Yes. Assuming the teams' the pre-draft analysis of the QB in question determines he is a good enough risk to take the plunge. End of the day, to me, no NFL team w/o an ensconsed, relatively young (say younger than 32 for arguments' sake) clear Pro Bowl level QB can afford to pass on a potential Franchise QB if drafting high enough to take one.

But then I'm a QB Theory guy. We're stubborn that way.

So there. :)

Just your basic 50-year-old sudden bachelor reinventing himself and his life on the fly, brother.

Turns out its a full time gig with plenty of overtime.

Who knew? :movefast:

Yes. Assuming the teams' the pre-draft analysis of the QB in question determines he is a good enough risk to take the plunge. End of the day, to me, no NFL team w/o an ensconsed, relatively young (say younger than 32 for arguments' sake) clear Pro Bowl level QB can afford to pass on a potential Franchise QB if drafting high enough to take one.

But then I'm a QB Theory guy. We're stubborn that way.

So there. :)

Is there a potential Franchise QB in this draft? I am not as crazy about Locker as I used to be. Newton and Mallet scare the hell out of me. Gabbard will be gone. Ponder doesn't have the arm strength. Maybe we should just trade for a veteran QB. Oh wait we have already done that! What do you guys think?

I think there are potential Franchis QB's in the draft. I have not soured on Locker like a lot of people. I was impressed with the limited views of his footwork at the combine. Even Mike Mayock commented on how well he was doing. What worries me with Locker is if there is a lockout, will he decide to go play baseball for the Angels? That could be detrimental.

The guy I like the most is Andy Dalton. The only problem with him, and it is a big one is that he comes from a spread offense. How many QB's come from spread offenses and become a franchise player in the NFL? He improved each year he was a starter for TCU.

Greg McElroy is another guy to look at later in the draft. His arm strength is average, but I am not sure that the Shanny's have to have Elway or Cutler. He is not the best athlete, but he is smart and will work hard. He played for a pro style offense. I think he will be a solid back up at worst at the next level. Although he might be more suited for a WCO, but I think that we have to look.

2/3 played in pro style offense and they are all seniors coming out, which is a big deal IMO. There is a full body of work to judge them from and you can see how they have progressed.

I think there are potential Franchis QB's in the draft. I have not soured on Locker like a lot of people. I was impressed with the limited views of his footwork at the combine. Even Mike Mayock commented on how well he was doing. What worries me with Locker is if there is a lockout, will he decide to go play baseball for the Angels? That could be detrimental.

The guy I like the most is Andy Dalton. The only problem with him, and it is a big one is that he comes from a spread offense. How many QB's come from spread offenses and become a franchise player in the NFL? He improved each year he was a starter for TCU.

Greg McElroy is another guy to look at later in the draft. His arm strength is average, but I am not sure that the Shanny's have to have Elway or Cutler. He is not the best athlete, but he is smart and will work hard. He played for a pro style offense. I think he will be a solid back up at worst at the next level. Although he might be more suited for a WCO, but I think that we have to look.

2/3 played in pro style offense and they are all seniors coming out, which is a big deal IMO. There is a full body of work to judge them from and you can see how they have progressed.

Something interesting I'be been seeing in the mocks that have us taking Locker is the common theme of Shanahan liking Locker because he reminds him of Jake Plummer. Since I've read several places, including here, that Trent Williams reminded Shanahan of Ryan Clady and that was a major deciding factor in the decision to draft him I'm wondering if something similar might happen with Locker?

I am not sold on the Shanny's needing that athletic QB. Look at what Schaub has done in Houston. He is not athletic at all and his arm is probably above average, but not much. However, he is accurate and smart. Which is what I think they will look for.

I would think Kyle has a huge say in the QB he wants to work with. Also, this QB class is very athletic. It's not just Locker.

Also, why the heck would Shanny want another Plummer? He was not happy with Plummer when he was with Denver. There are lot better QB's in Shanny's resume than Plummer. I bet if you asked him if he wanted another Plummer, he would probably say no.

Schaub is great but was also a project coming out of college. It took him a few years to develop just like several of the prospects this year.

I think every QB in this draft is going to have to be developed over a couple of years or longer. That doesn't mean they aren't franchise players. Shoot, tons of guys have to take time to develop. I think it will be quicker with a pro ready guy like Locker as opposed to Dalton.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.