• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

How Much Do Things Cost Where You Live?

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
I'm sure I could google it, but that's no fun. I was just curious what the going price is in various parts of the country for different things, because when I went up to Boston a few years ago, I was blown away by how crazy high everything was priced.

In Virginia Beach..........

Gas: $3.15/gallon
Milk: $4.05/gallon
Bread: $0.89 for store brand, $1.79-$2.49 for high priced
Cigarettes: $4-6 depending on your brand
Beer (six pack): $4.99 for low end, $8.99 for higher end
Soda (2 liter) :$1.99
Rent (2 bedroom 1 bath apartment): $1,000+ on average
Eggs: $2/dozen
Movie ticket: $10.50-$12
Candy bar: $1.10+
Sales tax: 6%
Meal tax: 10.5%

Gas just a few miles from me over the border into SC is $2.95 - $2.99 depending on station. Everything else seems about the same as above, except no meal tax.

Regular gas in my town = $3.65/gal

As for everything else, groceries are killer. I paid almost $6 for a carton of Egg Beaters yesterday. Suck.

Gas is about $2.85 most places here right now. Groceries roughly in line with what you list, maybe a little cheaper.

Standard of living in the mountains is ridiculously low.

Had to do some research this morning and for this area...

Gas: $2.74 to $2.91 a gallon.
Milk: $3.10 a gallon.
Bread: $0.85 for store brands and $1.35 to $2.20 for named brands.
Cigarettes: $3.75 to $6.00.
Beer (six pack): $3.35 to $7.15 depending on brand you get.
Soda (2 liter): $1.09 to $1.59
Rent (3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment - 1300 SqFt to 1700 SqFt): $775 to $910.
Eggs: Mostly $1.25 a dozen
Movie ticket: $9.00 to $12.00
Candy bar: $0.75 or more, depending on size and brand.
Sales tax: 3%
Meal tax: 3%

nobody: you need to include property taxes! they kinda held steady in many areas around here after the 2009 collapse...and are now marching up again. as are auto taxes in VA (and tolls).

Gas: $3.30 as of this morning
Milk: $4.05/gallon
Bread: Don't eat it
Cigarettes: Don't smoke
Beer (six pack): Don't drink
Soda (2 liter) :$1.99
Rent (2 bedroom 1 bath apartment): $1200 and that is cheap
Eggs: $3 a dozen, we buy organic
Movie ticket: $12
Candy bar: Don't eat them
Sales tax: 6%
Meal tax: Not sure we have one. We don't eat out much.

UK prices

Not 100% relevant, but just in case you were interested, some UK comparisons. 3.78 litres (love those metrics)= 1 gallon, current GBP-USD exchange rate of 1.64, so:

Petrol/Gas = USD 8.49 per gallon
Milk (organic)= USD 6.20 per gallon
12 large Eggs (organic)= USD 8.53
12 bottles of very good quality Continental Lager/Beer (284ml)= USD16
Cigarettes= USD 8.20

Interesting thread. To clarify what I don't spend money on:

I don't consume the following: Milk, bread, smokes, alcohol, candy bars. Rarely drink soda. Always wait for movies to come out on blu-ray.

Property tax down here on a $250,000 home will go for about $1200 to $1400 a year - depending on location. Most homes in that range down here are usually around 3,000 to 4,000 SqFt. There are no toll roads and no toll bridges for area lakes and rivers - including the Mississippi.

Yearly visits to the vet in NJ for my cat was usually in the $300 range. For the exact same service in November, the desk clerk told me that prices had gone up a bit and asked if that was ok. Hey, what choice do you have to get the best care for your pet? When the office visit was complete, I had sticker shock - the grand total was $63.

I miss the big snows of the northeast, but have no other complaints down here.

Interesting thread. To clarify what I don't spend money on:

I don't consume the following: Milk, bread, smokes, alcohol, candy bars. Rarely drink soda. Always wait for movies to come out on blu-ray.

Property tax down here on a $250,000 home will go for about $1200 to $1400 a year - depending on location. Most homes in that range down here are usually around 3,000 to 4,000 SqFt. There are no toll roads and no toll bridges for area lakes and rivers - including the Mississippi.

Yearly visits to the vet in NJ for my cat was usually in the $300 range. For the exact same service in November, the desk clerk told me that prices had gone up a bit and asked if that was ok. Hey, what choice do you have to get the best care for your pet? When the office visit was complete, I had sticker shock - the grand total was $63.

I miss the big snows of the northeast, but have no other complaints down here.

I'm glad to hear you've settled in nicely :)

This thread is interesting to me. I'll have to pay attention to the price of these items this weekend and report back.

Off the top of my head gas is significantly more expensive here :\

Here in the Akron area

Gas: $3.25/gallon

Rent is about $1,000 for a 2 bed/ 2 bath townhouse

Property tax is what they hammer you on here. We are buying a house for 200k, and the taxes are $3,200 a year, and that is considered cheap....

Here in the Akron area

Gas: $3.25/gallon

Rent is about $1,000 for a 2 bed/ 2 bath townhouse

Property tax is what they hammer you on here. We are buying a house for 200k, and the taxes are $3,200 a year, and that is considered cheap....
That's one good thing about Virginia Beach, they've somehow managed to keep the property tax ridiculously cheap considering. Here, it's $0.89 per $100.

Just to be clear, every area has its good features and the not so good. Like heat? Last summer was a fluke with no 100 degree days and less than twenty days of 90 or above. It is the coolest summer on record. Usually it is at or just over 100 for at least fifteen days each summer and about 80 days of 90 and higher. The humidity is relentless. In other words, the AC pushes the electric bill into the stratosphere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.