• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Hogs Haven: Wide Receiver Draft Class Depth Good For Redskins

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Jay Gruden stresses the importance of the OL like all of us do--so everyone relax for a minute and let your guards down.

A QB himself, Gruden knows that our QB's safety is paramount. Expect that to be a point of emphasis every year going forward.

With the draft, FA and a full cap, it doesn't have to be an either/or situation though, and here is a preview of some of the top WRs that may be available when we pick if we go that route.

This is for informational purposes--it doesn't need to turn into a WR vs. OL battle.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/1/11/5298006/2014-wide-receiver-draft-class-depth-good-for-redskins

If you want to see crazy, watch this for the next two minutes. Megatron with meanness?

And has anyone honestly ever seen a WR do what he did to the DB at about the :45 second mark before?

Last edited:
IMO,Watkins or Bejamin won't be there when we draft.

If WR were the pick at 34..give me Matthews from Vandy.

I agree. There is no way in hell that either of those guys make it past pick 20. Benjamin looks like top 10 talent to me.

I'm not familiar with Matthews. I need to research him.

Last edited:
Matthews:

Robinson:

On Robinson, the Ohio State highlight and the Michigan highlight....very impressive.

Last edited:
I would rather we draft the best offensive lineman available with our first pick. We need big uglies (and I don't care what Gruden's initial comments about how great the o line here is - he's just treading lightly early on here). WR is one of the toughest positions to draft accurately once you get past the top WRs in the draft imho - I'd rather bring in a free agent to fill that hole, or wait and get another starter in the 2015 draft. And McD5 - you can embed videos directly in your posts, just use the [video] and [/video] tags with the You Tube url in between them as Diesel just did.

Look for Jordan Matthews or Jared Abbrederis a little later in the draft. Need the OL first.

And now a small preview of the first BBQ draft coming up in a few weeks.

2014 Draft Scenarios:

Trade the sixth rounder to the Dolphins for RT Jonathan Martin.

Round Two:
Three Scenarios...
1. Original Pick: Maintain position.
2. Trade down several positions with the Bucs - pick up their fourth rounder. Then trade down to pick up both of 49ers second rounders.
Or...
3. Trade down and pick up both 49ers second rounders and their latter third round pick.

Round Three:
Two Scenarios:
1. Original Pick - Maintain position.
2. Original Pick - Trade with the Vikings and pick up their third rounder and the last pick of the round which they possess.

I would rather we draft the best offensive lineman available with our first pick. We need big uglies (and I don't care what Gruden's initial comments about how great the o line here is - he's just treading lightly early on here). WR is one of the toughest positions to draft accurately once you get past the top WRs in the draft imho - I'd rather bring in a free agent to fill that hole, or wait and get another starter in the 2015 draft. And McD5 - you can embed videos directly in your posts, just use the [video] and [/video] tags with the You Tube url in between them as Diesel just did.

bingo. both lines need to be upgraded first as the number one priority....with offense first. if that isn't done....I'll take it as a signal of 3-4 years of more of the same awful football that, best case, gets us to the .500 range. that's why, amidst the general satisfaction on Gruden's hire, his statement that he thought our o-line was good worries me. anyone who attended games/paid attention knows that while Robert's pocket management and mechanics was a big part of problem, that line flat out sucked in pass pro. moreover, when it counted, even on run plays, it didn't have the power. it's a finesse blocking scheme that other teams shoved down our throats when it mattered.

Diesel, yes please on Robinson. He really pops on tape.

I like your highlights on Matthews too.

Thanks for the tip Boone....working on it.

Look for Jordan Matthews or Jared Abbrederis a little later in the draft. Need the OL first.

And now a small preview of the first BBQ draft coming up in a few weeks.

2014 Draft Scenarios:

Trade the sixth rounder to the Dolphins for RT Jonathan Martin.

Round Two:
Three Scenarios...
1. Original Pick: Maintain position.
2. Trade down several positions with the Bucs - pick up their fourth rounder. Then trade down to pick up both of 49ers second rounders.
Or...
3. Trade down and pick up both 49ers second rounders and their latter third round pick.

Round Three:
Two Scenarios:
1. Original Pick - Maintain position.
2. Original Pick - Trade with the Vikings and pick up their third rounder and the last pick of the round which they possess.

like that your thinking this through now.

don't trust this FO. the trade down strategy didn't pan out over the last couple years. I'm tired of three 7th rnd picks - big whoop! I vote hold steady at the number 2 pick in the second round and nab the surprise player/BPA (regardless of position) who drops - there's always one or two. get our RT in FA if at all possible. an upgrade at just that one position will make a big difference.

same view for third round. I don't think we're so bad that trolling for bodies is what we need to do. we need to get the best talent we can. haven't read many analyses yet on how deep this draft is going to be. but, for the moment, my instincts are to draft as high as we can in 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

I agree that we need to address the OL first and foremost. I've beaten the podium down on that so much that it's now sawdust and Joe Bugel has offered to make me his son.

Alot depends on what we do in free agency as to how we go about the draft.

But let's just say, for the sake of this thread, we went out and signed a free agent OG and a FA OT. Plus, don't forget, we've got Montgomery at C and brought in Walton and Kowalski.

You're at 34 with a horde of WRs at your disposal. Which one would you like to have in burgundy and gold?

like that your thinking this through now.

don't trust this FO. the trade down strategy didn't pan out over the last couple years. I'm tired of three 7th rnd picks - big whoop! I vote hold steady at the number 2 pick in the second round and nab the surprise player/BPA (regardless of position) who drops - there's always one or two. get our RT in FA if at all possible. an upgrade at just that one position will make a big difference.

same view for third round. I don't think we're so bad that trolling for bodies is what we need to do. we need to get the best talent we can. haven't read many analyses yet on how deep this draft is going to be. but, for the moment, my instincts are to draft as high as we can in 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

My mock draft preparation usually begins around mid October. I will need to re-adjust to what the new regime is thinking and where they will go in FA and the draft.

I agree that we need to address the OL first and foremost. I've beaten the podium down on that so much that it's now sawdust and Joe Bugel has offered to make me his son.

Alot depends on what we do in free agency as to how we go about the draft.

But let's just say, for the sake of this thread, we went out and signed a free agent OG and a FA OT. Plus, don't forget, we've got Montgomery at C and brought in Walton and Kowalski.

You're at 34 with a horde of WRs at your disposal. Which one would you like to have in burgundy and gold?

I wouldn't target a position - though I think Gruden might favor another wideout. Some reports out of Cincy hint that he leans to the pass happy side of the equation. I'd go BPA regardless of position. I think we're at a stage where building the roster with the best talent available...regardless of position...has the biggest payoff in the long-run. use FA to target the need positions.

Jay Gruden stresses the importance of the OL like all of us do--so everyone relax for a minute and let your guards down.

A QB himself, Gruden knows that our QB's safety is paramount. Expect that to be a point of emphasis every year going forward.

With the draft, FA and a full cap, it doesn't have to be an either/or situation though, and here is a preview of some of the top WRs that may be available when we pick if we go that route.

This is for informational purposes--it doesn't need to turn into a WR vs. OL battle.

2014 Wide Receiver Draft Class - Depth Good For Redskins - Hogs Haven

that's not the point. it's easy to highlight need areas. what matters is the strategy and the options. Gruden is not a rainmaker who has magical powers that will suddenly make quality right tackles available. like every other team, he/the Skins will be competing for a limited talent pool at various price ranges. as we see with the defensive coaching staff - the Skins don't have a settled plan yet on how the management end of things is going to work out. not a problem. it's only been a couple days. but something to watch.

appreciate your enthusiasm. but I have a lifetime in many venues observing/participating in "transformations". it's not easy. I kinda like what Kevin Sheehan said the other day: the Gruden hire is a high risk, high reward signing. He is young and creative. He also has limited experience in the NFL in more senior positions. I frankly don't weight the Tuskers and CFL as heavily as some others might with the usual retort - big deal, against what kind of competition? There are, as in any situation, trade-offs.

I think he is the best signing of the Snyder era - and that includes a Joe Gibbs who simply wasn't ready for a second run. but let's not fool ourselves here. right now, there are a lot of uncertainties. this guy has a lot going for him...let's all hope Allen knows what he is doing and creates the maneuvering room for Gruden to deploy his talents and football vision to full effect.

After some further thought and reading, I believe the odds of us drafting a WR in the second round are now 100%.

I don't see how it could be anything but a WR.

There are four main reasons why it's obviously a WR:

1. WR is a huge need. Huge. We have no alternative but to take one high.

2. There are roughly 7 WR's that grade out as first round talent this year. Most years there are only two or three.

3. We spent a ton on Garcon. As Tandler stated, they won't spend big money on another FA WR.

4. Gruden and the Bengals have a strong record of drafting WRs near the top.

My prediction is that the line will be bolstered through FA, and that a WR is a sure thing in the second.

And our WR will likely be one of the players mentioned in this thread.

After some further thought and reading, I believe the odds of us drafting a WR in the second round are now 100%.
Hah. Redskins fans heads will explode all across the country when the pick is announced.

Agree... no way in hell Sammy goes that late. First time I saw him play in high school, I knew the kid was destined to make a mark on the NFL. He's a hell of a ball player.

I am mixed on the idea of Benjamin at #34. He is a tremendous talent, but he is so raw! His athleticism will be matched at the pro level and from what I have seen in interviews with him, he is not the sharpest tool in the shed. As a WR in this league he may or may not succeed, he has the tangibles, but does he have the mental capacity. Not sure he is worth the risk. With that said, I would not be too upset if we drafted him...provided we addressed at least the RT position in FA. I think that position should be addressed in FA anyway.

WR would not be a bad choice at 34. We need another playmaker opposite Garçon, and that's the spot to get one.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.