• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Notes: Redskins at Bucs

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
September 30, 2012
Raymond James Stadium – Tampa, Fla.

Game Notes: Washington Redskins at Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• The Redskins improved to 2-2 on the season with a 24-22 win against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in front of an announced crowd of 58,191 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla.
• The victory is Washington’s first regular season win in Tampa Bay since 1993. Washington’s only win in Tampa Bay since 1993 came in the NFC Wild Card Round following the 2005 season.
• The win ties the Redskins’ regular season record against the Buccaneers at 9-9.
• The win was Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan’s 167th overall victory as an NFL head coach. It is his 159th regular season victory as an NFL head coach, pushing him past Pro Football Hall of Famer Bud Grant (158) for sole possession of 13th all-time in regular season wins.
• Shanahan is now 4-2 all-time against the Buccaneers and 12-7 against the teams that currently comprise the NFC South.
• The Redskins accumulated 474 net offensive yards, the team’s highest total since posting 481 yards vs. Jacksonville on Oct. 1, 2006, a span of 95 regular season games.
• The Redskins rushed for 160 yards. The Buccaneers entered the game with the league’s best rushing defense, having surrendered an average of 47.3 yards per game through the first three weeks.
• The Redskins have now rushed for 150 yards or more in four consecutive games this season, the first time the team has done so since posting four 150-yard rushing games from Weeks 4-7 of the 2008 season.
• The Redskins are now averaging 175.5 rushing yards per game, the highest total in the league as of the conclusion of Sunday’s late afternoon games.
• The Redskins have scored 123 points through four games, the team’s highest point total for a four-game stretch since scoring 130 points in a four game stretch from Weeks 4-8 in the 1999 season (the team had a bye in Week 5 that season).
• Kicker Billy Cundiff was 1-for-4 on field goal attempts but converted on a 41-yard field goal with three seconds remaining to give the Redskins the win.
• The game-winning field goal was Cundiff’s eighth of his career, his first as a Redskin, and his first since hitting a 25-yard game-winner vs. Arizona on Oct. 30, 2011, as a member of the Baltimore Ravens.
• Running back Alfred Morris rushed for a career-high 113 yards, his first career 100-yard rushing game and the Redskins’ first since Evan Royster in Week 17 of last season. Including Morris’ performance on Sunday, the Redskins’ last six 100-yard rushing performances have all been by rookies (three by Roy Helu, Jr., two by Royster, one by Morris).
• Morris joins Larry Brown (1972), John Riggins (1983), George Rogers (1986), Earnest Byner (1991) and Terry Allen (1996) as the only backs in team history since the 1970 merger to open a season with at least 75 yards in each game in the first four weeks of a season.
• Robert Griffin III completed 26-of-35 passes for 323 yards and a passer rating of 102.4. He established career highs in pass completions, pass attempts and passing yardage.
• Griffin III now has 1,170 passing yards on the season. He joins Cam Newton (2011) and Ryan Tannehill (2012) as the only players to reach 1,000 passing yards in their first four games of their rookie seasons.
• Griffin III’s 300-yard passing performance is the second of his career and the 100th by a Redskins quarterback in team history.
• Griffin III led the Redskins on a seven-play, 61-yard drive in 1:42 to set up the game-winning field goal. The fourth-quarter comeback was the Redskins’ first by a rookie quarterback since Jason Campbell vs. Carolina on Nov. 26, 2006.
• Wide receiver Pierre Garçon scored the first touchdown for the Redskins, recovering a Griffin III fumble in the end zone.
• The Redskins now have two fumble recoveries for touchdowns this season. The last time the Redskins had multiple fumble recovery touchdowns in a single season was in 1994, when Martin Bayless and Darryl Morrison each had one fumble recovery touchdown.
• Cornerback DeAngelo Hall registered his 36th interception of his career, picking off Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman in the second quarter. The interception gives him sole possession of sixth place in career interceptions by active NFL players, pushing him past Cincinnati’s Nate Clements.
• The Redskins have at least one interception in four consecutive games. The last time the Redskins had at least one interception in four consecutive games in the same season was in Weeks 2-5 of the 2010 season.
• Griffin III scored his fourth rushing touchdown of the season on a five-yard run in the second quarter, tying Joe Theismann (1979) and Eddie LeBaron (1955) for the Redskins record of rushing touchdowns by a quarterback in a single season.
• Griffin III became the sixth NFL quarterback since the 1970 merger to register at least four rushing touchdowns in the first four games of a season, joining Cam Newton (2011), Kordell Stewart (1997), Bubby Brister (1988), Steve Grogan (1976) and Terry Bradshaw (1972).
• Griffin III became the first Redskin since Clinton Portis (2006) to score four rushing touchdowns in the first four games of a season.
• Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan recorded a sack of Freeman in the second quarter, pushing his season total to 3.5. He has at least half a sack in four consecutive games, the first time he has done so since Weeks 9-12 of last season.
• Morris took his 10th carry of the game a career-long 39 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter. The rushing touchdown was his fourth of the season.
• With Griffin III and Morris each reaching four touchdowns, the Redskins have two players with four rushing touchdowns through the first four games of the season for the first time since the 1970 merger.
• Griffin III and Morris are the first pair of rookie teammates in NFL history to each rush for four touchdowns over their team’s first four games, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
• As of the conclusion of Sunday’s late afternoon games, Griffin III and Morris are tied with Houston’s Arian Foster for the league-lead in rushing touchdowns (four).
• The Redskins scored 21 points in the first half, marking the fourth consecutive game in which the team has had at least one half scoring 20 or more points.
• The Redskins led the Buccaneers 21-6 at halftime, the team’s largest halftime lead since leading Minnesota by 22 points on Dec. 23, 2007.
• Punter Sav Rocca registered his longest punt of the season on the team’s first drive, covering 61 yards.
• Tight end Niles Paul recorded a career-long 25-yard kick return in the first quarter.
• Fullback Darrel Young caught a 24-yard pass on his first reception of the season, the second-longest reception of his career. On two receptions, he finished with 40 receiving yards, tying his career high.
• Paul caught a career-long 30-yard pass in the third quarter, making the reception on a play in which Griffin III lateralled to Brandon Banks who lateralled back to Griffin III, who completed the pass to Paul.
• Wide receiver Joshua Morgan had a season-high 62 receiving yards on four receptions.
• Wide receiver Leonard Hankerson had 57 receiving yards on a team-high and season-high seven receptions.
• Tight end Fred Davis had four receptions for 70 yards. Including a 90-yard effort last week, Davis now has consecutive games of 70 or more receiving yards for the first time since Weeks 7-8 last season.

Needless to say the record for QB rushing TDs that Griffin now holds with Theismann will probably fall next week :)

yes actually people are still going to complain about our offence, 39 yards came on one run by morris, who gets hit at or near the LOS almost every playe and has still made some things happen, RG3 is often hurried but has really done a great job keeping plays alive with his legs, I cannot wait to see what he can do with more weapons and an Oline that can protect.

Is ANYONE really complaining about our offense?!?

Really?
Piere Retard, single handedly, swung momentum back to a team on it's last leg. His boneheaded cheap shot facilitated the Bucs comeback.

Which now makes him and Morgan, Dumb, and Dumber.

****ing asshole. He'll be lucky if Goodell, who needs no reason to hit us, doesn't suspend him a game.

The whole, Shanahan: Disciplinarian myth, takes another hit.

yes actually people are still going to complain about our offence, 39 yards came on one run by morris, who gets hit at or near the LOS almost every playe and has still made some things happen, RG3 is often hurried but has really done a great job keeping plays alive with his legs, I cannot wait to see what he can do with more weapons and an Oline that can protect.

Well Ry, just for you I took that 39 yarder out of Morris' total, and you know what?

His remaining 74 yards would still be the highest amount of yards any rusher has had against the Bucs this season. His 3.7 yards per carry would still be a full yard higher than the average rush against the Bucs allowed before playing the Redskins.

I understand criticism, but I what I don't get is why you insist on making things look worse then they really are. Our offense played a good game. The line, for all it's faults, held up reasonably well overall and did VERY well against a stout rush defense. With average performances by the kickers the game isn't close.

Just to add...

Morris is on pace for 1,504 yards this season. Pretty good numbers for a running back. Outstanding for a rookie. Incredible for a sixth round pick out of FAU! Lanky must really be proud of this kid - I'm certainly proud of him.

Piere Retard, single handedly, swung momentum back to a team on it's last leg. His boneheaded cheap shot facilitated the Bucs comeback.

I didn't think it was a cheap shot. He made the effort to get in front of the guy and he threw a block. It's a football field son, when you're between the two white lines you better keep your head on a swivel. I hear you can stand around and not get popped in baseball. If you give up on the play and get popped by someone who didn't that's on you...

That said I know they changed some rules about that sort of thing, but I don't know what the specific rule changes are. I thought it only applied to players away from the play on turnovers?

• Griffin III and Morris are the first pair of rookie teammates in NFL history to each rush for four touchdowns over their team’s first four games, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Just bears repeating, imo... :D

That said I know they changed some rules about that sort of thing, but I don't know what the specific rule changes are. I thought it only applied to players away from the play on turnovers?
It's an outlawed thing of the past. There have already been penalties, and fines, for such hits, this season. Blows to the head, crack back blocks, and all sorts of things used to be legal. Not anymore.

Trust me, if it were still legal, I'd love the aggression. Even though it's still cheap, either way. Pierre knew it was illegal, at least he should have, and the outcome changed the momentum of the game, and fired up a team that was down to a few hot embers.

He should be fined. And, if Heir Goodell wanted to send a strong message, he could well suspend him. If some one hit Griffin like that, after an interception, we'd be screaming holy hell. They've made these types of hits equal, as in, you cain't do it no more.

Just to add...

Morris is on pace for 1,504 yards this season. Pretty good numbers for a running back. Outstanding for a rookie. Incredible for a sixth round pick out of FAU! Lanky must really be proud of this kid .

Just Lanky ?!

Wasn't I the first to predict great things for him in the Mancrush thread I started ? :)

September 30, 2012
Raymond James Stadium – Tampa, Fla.

Game Notes: Washington Redskins at Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• The Redskins have now rushed for 150 yards or more in four consecutive games this season, the first time the team has done so since posting four 150-yard rushing games from Weeks 4-7 of the 2008 season.

Rich Tandler posted an interesting addendum to this.

The Redskins last rushed for over 700 yards in the season’s first four games in 1978. It has happened just two other times in team history, in 1945 and 1958.

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2012/10/the-redskins-are-toting-the-rock.html

Just to add...

Morris is on pace for 1,504 yards this season. Pretty good numbers for a running back. Outstanding for a rookie. Incredible for a sixth round pick out of FAU! Lanky must really be proud of this kid - I'm certainly proud of him.

Yep, I've been procrastinating, but I'm buying his jersey today as an early birthday present for myself. :)

Not sure who was first, but as soon as I heard his name and the school during the draft...I lived near the Jupiter campus for years...I started watching tape. He reminded me a lot of Ray Rice. It wasn't anything more than some tape and the familiarity of his school that caused me to root for him, but the more I watched and saw how he handled himself, especially in pre-season, the more I liked.

After 4 games, yeah boy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.